14" Ford Ranger wheels and tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's time for new tires on my Ranger and i'm having a lot of trouble finding tires in the current size i have. They are P215/75R/14". I know i could put 225/70's on it easy enough, but i really prefer the 75's. So i'm thinking about obtaining some good used 15x6 or 7" wheels and putting 215 or 225/75/15" tires on it. what i'm concerned with is tire clearance on the front end, and how much, if any, will it throw my speedometer/odometer off? My Ranger is a 2 wheel drive. what irks me is Ford put this size on the older Ranger's and the Aerostar van's. There has to be an awful lot of them on the road yet.

If the OEM size is 215/75-14 and you want to put on 15" wheel with the same width and offset, you should use tire size 215/70-15 and your speedometer should be about the same.

I had the same size on the Ranger I used to own. I shopped Tirerack.com and ended up getting Firestone Indy 500's. They were great tires for that truck. They lasted a good while and kept a balance. They also did not become loud like a lot of tires do with age. They were so good that they are the only tire I have bought two sets of in a row.

man too bad it's about a year and a half late. I had 27x8.5x14" BFG All Terrian T/A KO's on my 91. Those things ROCKED! THe fronts were at half tread with over 30K on them, and the back's were brand new. Original owner bought the set and only put the one set on the rear, and intended to sell the other pair to his brother. After buying the truck he sold me the other set a year later. Loved those tires on that thing. After it got in an accident ($400 truck more than $400 in repairs to fix it) I sold them to a guy in South Haven for his Ranger UTV or whatever.

IIRC they're discontinued in that size now
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
If the OEM size is 215/75-14 and you want to put on 15" wheel with the same width and offset, you should use tire size 215/70-15 and your speedometer should be about the same.

That, or if you prefer skinny, use 205-75R15.

Bob

Originally Posted By: mcrn
I had the same size on the Ranger I used to own. I shopped Tirerack.com and ended up getting Firestone Indy 500's. They were great tires for that truck. They lasted a good while and kept a balance. They also did not become loud like a lot of tires do with age. They were so good that they are the only tire I have bought two sets of in a row.

I have those Indy 500s on my Dakota (255/70R15). Excellent tires. Very quiet, smooth running, etc. I typically buy Michelin/BFG, but in this size, Michelin had nothing, and I've had the BFG Radial T/A before (on a different vehicle) and wasn't real happy with wet traction (a common complaint as I understand). The Firestone Indys have been excellent so far. I also had a set of Firestone Firehawk SS10s (the predecessor to the Indy 500s) about 13 years ago, and they were good back then, too. Firestone seems to have a good product for this market niche.

I was curious as to how you made out with putting 15" tires on your 1997 Ranger 2wd. Any issues with lining up the 15" rims? Any issues with clearance on the wheel wells? I was wanting to put a meaty snow tire like the Cooper Discoverer H/T 225/70/R15, but could easily go with 215/70/R15 to balance out the speedometer. Any advise would help greatly!

Last edited:
I had a 94 Ranger with stock 225/70/14. Replaced size with a MultiMile Radial GT in OEM size. Worked well for me. Traded with 50K on those tires with plenty of wear left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back