138 Volts!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Methinks you need a new meter .....
35.gif

+1

It may be off 5-6 volts, but just get the power company in there. They usually would respond to such a probably, fairly rapidly.

But I do wonder what the neighbor is doing!!

The plot thickens....

Landlord called me tonight, utility was out there today and they say everything is fine.
smirk2.gif
(how did they check my outlets if the place was locked up like a vault?)
I checked it with a third meter today, same problem.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
What reading to you get when you measure from neutral to ground and from hot to ground at a 110v receptacle?

Hmmmm...I should have checked this before, but I get zero volts. Then I realized for some reason the ground hole/contact on every outlet is broken off and missing. There's a ground wire to the outlet, so I have no idea why.....

This is really starting to get ridiculous!

The utility came out and checked power to the building. Once the power is past the main it is none of their business.

So you get zero volts when checking from hot to ground also? you've got a major safety hazard!

Originally Posted By: tom slick
So you get zero volts when checking from hot to ground also? you've got a major safety hazard!

Yeah...I'm going to have to change out all the outlets. The ground wire behind works, but still way high volts.

I just can't think of why anyone would do that to the outlets in the first place?
shocked2.gif

Since nobody knowing code has stepped up, I would talk to the local building department. I know if you sell something, you can be forced to bring things up to code. I doubt it is legal to rent firetraps either.

Originally Posted By: labman
Since nobody knowing code has stepped up, I would talk to the local building department. I know if you sell something, you can be forced to bring things up to code. I doubt it is legal to rent firetraps either.

+1. Get an electrician in there. A good commercial one.
The NEC requires special treatment of any wiring more that 150 volts to ground. If nothing else, they could be gigged on that.
I'm not up on the latest details since the code is updated evry three years, and I hung up my full-time toolbelt due to a bad back in 2004. I still maintain my continued ed. master/comtractor license requirements though.

Originally Posted By: pcoxe
Incandescent light bulbs won't last long at that voltage!
They will be bright though.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Originally Posted By: labman

+1. Get an electrician in there. A good commercial one.
The NEC requires special treatment of any wiring more that 150 volts to ground. If nothing else, they could be gigged on that.
I'm not up on the latest details since the code is updated evry three years, and I hung up my full-time toolbelt due to a bad back in 2004. I still maintain my continued ed. master/comtractor license requirements though.

If the owner is forced to correct the problem, it will be at her expense. I would never work on anything myself if it could be done by a professional at somebody else's expense.

I hope I have the good judgment to make sure anything at my expense doesn't include my life. I notice spell check suggests replacing DIY with DIE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back