2005 CR-V saving memory when changing batteries.

We have a 2005 Honda CR-V.
My buddy needs to swap the battery out.
He doesn't have the code for his battery we're trying to retain the memory on everything when he swaps the batteries.
Do any of you in the know can tell me if he gets one of them 9-volt jobber-do's
to plug into the accessory outlet on that vehicle, is that Honda set up to where the accessory charging port receives 12 volts with a key in the off position?
Because if that only works with the car running or K O E O, obviously it's not going to retain the memory.
If that is the case that the key needs to be on for that accessory outlet to work, can he just hook up a small battery charger to his battery terminals when he swaps the battery out will that retain the memory or will the battery charger be a smart charger, and not put any DC voltage out without a battery connected to it?
I understand what I'm trying to ask hope I have it written to make sense!

On our 2006 TSX, the code is on a sticker on the side of the glove box, I think. It is also on User User Manual documents, if you have them.
I believe the dealer or Honda can supply it based on VIN.
Good luck.

will the battery charger be a smart charger, and not put any DC voltage out without a battery connected to it?

It depends on the battery charger. You could use jumper cables connected to another battery instead of a battery charger. Just be very careful to not short the positive terminal against something metal under the hood.

EDIT: You could even use a 12V lantern battery, would work way better than those 9V battery "memory savers".

I would not hook up a battery charger to the terminals while the battery is disconnected without knowing if the voltage is regulated or not. Small smart chargers are probably OK, but a conventional charger is not. I'm pretty sure the accessory outlet was switched on my 2004 CR-V. As JeffKeryK said, I also recall the radio code was on a sticker inside the glovebox, and a dealer should be able to get the code from the VIN.

I was able to get the code off some Honda website once I was able to prove we were the owners. No code on the glovebox on our 08 CRV. I don't have any advice on saving the memory I ended up putting in an aftermarket head unit with carplay and no more worries.

I ended up putting in an aftermarket head unit with carplay and no more worries.
Right! I guess aftermarket radio's never need a code!
I had a 2002 Alero, The SOAB, I put an Epay or a junkyard factory radio in it, I had to pay the dealer to flash the BCM.
But I knew that "going in" I think there is a hack though, if you know how to do it, to un-lock those radio's~!

We have a 2005 Honda CR-V.
My buddy needs to swap the battery out.
He doesn't have the code for his battery we're trying to retain the memory on everything when he swaps the batteries.
Do any of you in the know can tell me if he gets one of them 9-volt jobber-do's
to plug into the accessory outlet on that vehicle, is that Honda set up to where the accessory charging port receives 12 volts with a key in the off position?
Because if that only works with the car running or K O E O, obviously it's not going to retain the memory.
If that is the case that the key needs to be on for that accessory outlet to work, can he just hook up a small battery charger to his battery terminals when he swaps the battery out will that retain the memory or will the battery charger be a smart charger, and not put any DC voltage out without a battery connected to it?
I understand what I'm trying to ask hope I have it written to make sense!
I think you can go to honda.com and if you have the vin you can get it..

I've changed the battery in my '15 Accord twice and never needed to enter a code to make the stereo work afterwards. YMMV.

If you can assist your buddy, I suggest just connecting jumper cables from your car battery to his battery cable terminals before he disconnects/removes the old battery. I normally put the negative clamp on the engine block and the positive clamp on the back portion of the red (+) wire's terminal clamp. It is even easier if you have a 12 volt jump pack.

You can also use the website in Post #5 to get the radio's security code. Be sure to look at the instructions to retrieve the radio's serial number from the front display so you won't need to pull out the chassis. Once you have the code, write it down in the owner's manual for future reference.

Last edited:
Honda stopped using the security code a while back, like 2008, not sure.
My 07 Accord had a radio code...My 21 Honda HRV does not have one...If you change the battery you just push in the volume button and hold for a few seconds and it reboots back up...

I think there is a way to read the code out of the radio while it is unlocked. Check the owner's manual.

Use a jump box or jumper cables to another car (which does not need to be running). Connect them to the fuse box or starter some place other than the battery.

Verify with a phone charger before you begin.
Yes! I told him that, but he didn't have the right charging wire for his phone.
He was supposed to test it with his 12V tire inflater, but here he pulled a Dumb @&& attack, and left his key on all night, and had to charge the battery. He said it started up well after that, and he don't drive this one too often, so I told him to take it and have AZ or Advanced load test the battery.
I will let you know what he comes up with.
Thanks to all!

Honda stopped using the security code a while back, like 2008, not sure.
He was supposed to test it with his 12V tire inflater, but here he pulled a Dumb @&& attack, and left his key on all night, and had to charge the battery. He said it started up well after that, and he don't drive this one too often, so I told him to take it and have AZ or Advanced load test the battery.
Thanks to all!

Yeah, I'm not sure, Trouble is he's in the Pittsburgh area, and I'm in the Wheeling WV area.
But now his is a 2005 so IDK. He said it has a code.
Anyways, see my other post.
Again,
Thanks to all!

Not on a Honda radio. You can only retrieve the radio's serial number that way; however, with the serial number and VIN, you can look up the security code per this site:

Retrieving Honda Radio Codes
Oh wow! Very helpful!
I'll forward this to him.
I think there is a way to read the code out of the radio while it is unlocked. Check the owner's manual.

Use a jump box or jumper cables to another car (which does not need to be running). Connect them to the fuse box or starter some place other than the battery.
That's a good idea!

Back