13 Cadillac CTS ac disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moral of the story, if your AC compressor begins making noise, replace it before it turns in to this kind of repair.

I would not want to pay for this repair. I think I would be selling that car.

It appears that a lot of luxury cars have everything so tightly packed in the engine bay and under the dash, that anything needing replace involves talking half the vehicle apart to service it.

I would have traded it in on a cold day to a dealer. Normally that is how I get rid of cars with busted AC. The dealers burn you on trade in anyway.

They are dumping $2500 into a $6-$7k car.

Originally Posted by diyjake
When something like this happens how do you remove all of the metal inside the ac system?

Ac flush, high pressure filtered air followed by brake cleaner. But you must open every ac component up to do so. You cant flush through an expansion valve so it has to come off.

What a horrible design. Hope the rest of the car lasts a long time, thats a lot of money to dump.

Originally Posted by diyjake
Isn't this common that the expansion valve is underneath the dash for most vehicles these days?
Nope. Most can be accessed from under the hood relatively easily. First time I have seen one like this.

Originally Posted by madRiver
I would have traded it in on a cold day to a dealer. Normally that is how I get rid of cars with busted AC.

HAHA, stick somebody else with your problem, morality be [censored].

This is why for a car I want 4 cy, PS,PB AC, 5 Speed manual and a radio. I do not need climate control, I do not need a touch screen in the dash, power seats, power windows or any of that other crap..I need to put some money in my Dakota. I am thinking of buying kit car, with manual and fuel economy V6 to use as a daily driver.. at least it can be easily and inexpensively fixed. No proprietary fancy [censored].

Rod

Originally Posted by Chris142
He said that he still owes $13k on it.

eek.gif

Yep very common on newer cars. AC parts, heater cores, and of course the blend actuators always require more labor than part cost. They do last longer than older cars. But thats not any comfort to those that still have to tear their car apart when they do go bad.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by carviewsonic
Up here in the great white north, that car would become my winter beater - no a/c required.

Winter? How many days in the summer do you really need a/c up there? Like three?

At least four... jeez
lol.gif

Last edited:
This pic was taken after most of the dash was back together. Total cost for all parts and labor will be $2500ish.
Ok, near spam but I can only says:

WOW! And, WOW!
shocked2.gif

It's not as bad as that, but the XJ has pretty much needed a heater core since I bought it, might as well put the A/C evaporator & expansion valve in there while it's out. Doesn't look like a good time, lots of plastic stuff to break...

Originally Posted by Fotoflame
Sorry that you had to get this repaired. I think a lot of cars have the evaporator crammed between the firewall and dashboard and it's a nightmare to get to it. I have a 2000 Mercedes E-Class and the procedure to get to the evaporator is similar in scope to what you have pictured here. I pray I never have to do this.

Jeep Cherokee. Total catastrophe to get to the heater box...about 10 hours labor, IIRC. (Day and a half for the mechanic, half of it spent standing on his head under the dash, and I think he might still twitch every time he sees a red XJ.)

He said that he still owes $13k on it.

AT that point, it might be time to call the finance company and tell them, "Come get it."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back