13,000 miles on cheap dino !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well ive got a story also.... My wifes cousin has a hyundi tiburon and he has had it for 3 yrs. Up until the last month or 2 he had never changed the oil from the factory
shocked.gif
He said he wanted to blow up the engine so he could get another from the warranty 100k miles.... I told him to read his owners manual or warranty paperwork! If he didnt change his oil they wolnt cover it.... What a tard I hope he smartens up and gets his oil changed regularly. He said he thought it would have higher resale value if it had a new engine in it
freak2.gif

BTW he had 37k MILES ON THE CAR ON DINO OIL

He had a quick lube place change it and they said it was the worst oil that they had ever seen.

People who have worked in garages or quick-lube places could fill this thread with stories....at Wal-Mart, they check your oil before they do the change, and if it is below the add line, they make you sign the work order to say that the oil level is below the recommended level. Every third or fourth person that came in had to sign one of those....

Years ago before self-serve was commonplace I worked in gas station. One day I walked out to wait on a lady whose engine was idling, clattering to beat the band. "I think I need oil", she says...so she shuts it off and I pull out the dipstick...nothing there. She insists I put two quarts in. I remove the filler cap...blue smoke pours out. Put in the oil and recheck, the oil is only now just hitting the stick. She pays me for the oil and tries to leave...turns the key, click..click..nothing. It had tied up right then and there.

Sure is easy to see why "Oil Life Monitoring Systems" were born. The gals can say"honey, the oil light stayed on during the entire trip home!! and not cause a freakin heart attack for the hubby !

quote:

Originally posted by ryansride2017:
18K miles on dino chevron 5W30 in my sister-in-laws car. The car is a Sentra with a 2 7/8 quart slump. Fortunately she's keeping it so no one else will get the car. Oil was incredibly thick when HOT.

Yea that 1.8 has a small sump. Its prone to head leaks. I wouldn't bet against it not leaking
wink.gif

My old man is a firm believer in pinching pennies. He liked to buy used Lincolns. His first, a 1960 hardly ever got an OC and he seized it hard. Mechanic told him the rings were shot.

The second, a '65 was the car I learned to drive on. I took it to his gas dealer and had them change the oil. It poured out like water and was completely black. It probably hadn't been changed in two years.

The third was a 1970. The whole family left in it for a 150 mile family getogether. He gassed it up and I suggested he have the oil checked. Of course he declined and wouldn't you know 1/2 way there the engine lost oil pressure, the hydraulic lifters collapsed in a clackety din. Pulled off the xway and added oil. Tough mother 460 never wavered!

Present car is an early 90's Mercury large sedan. Probably has seen 2 oil changes.

quote:

Originally posted by wileyE:
Many (most) of the used crate motors you get from Japan have NEVER had an oil change, maybe 1 ? Other than being gunked they are suprisingly in pretty good condition considering. We always put new pan and valve cover gaskets on them so had a chance to "scoop" most the crud out of them.

that's amazing, I always heard over there people treat cars like they're fine jewelry
although I also know they have seriously heavy congested traffic so the driving cycle is abusive

When I was in High School,I worked at a full service Exxon gas station. One time a woman in a brand new Cadillac Seville came in for gas. I asked her to pop the hood so I could check the oil. Pulled out the dipstick,NOTHING SHOWING! I told her that she was low on oil. She said to add whatever was necessary. So,I added two quarts and pulled the dipstick,STILL NOTHING SHOWING. I kept adding quarts until finally I was able to get it to the full mark. FIVE QUARTS total. I asked the lady if she had seen a "check engine" light. She said no and she also said she had bought the car a just a few days earlier. I told her that she needed to take the car back to the dealer and make them either give her another car or replace the engine in the one she had. Till this day I am still amazed that engine was even running.

quote:

Originally posted by PRINCESS KIDAGAKASH:
When I was in High School,I worked at a full service Exxon gas station. One time a woman in a brand new Cadillac Seville came in for gas. I asked her to pop the hood so I could check the oil. Pulled out the dipstick,NOTHING SHOWING! I told her that she was low on oil. She said to add whatever was necessary. So,I added two quarts and pulled the dipstick,STILL NOTHING SHOWING. I kept adding quarts until finally I was able to get it to the full mark. FIVE QUARTS total. I asked the lady if she had seen a "check engine" light. She said no and she also said she had bought the car a just a few days earlier. I told her that she needed to take the car back to the dealer and make them either give her another car or replace the engine in the one she had. Till this day I am still amazed that engine was even running.

Those cadillac Northstar V8's take about 7.5 quarts of oil. so I guess that big V8 was running on about 2 quarts of oil

This happened back in 1982-83. I don't remember any Cadillac engine from that era that held more than six quarts system total,if that, except for maybe the self destructing diesels GM put out.

quote:

Originally posted by Ed_T:
My old man is a firm believer in pinching pennies. He liked to buy used Lincolns. His first, a 1960 hardly ever got an OC and he seized it hard. Mechanic told him the rings were shot.

The second, a '65 was the car I learned to drive on. I took it to his gas dealer and had them change the oil. It poured out like water and was completely black. It probably hadn't been changed in two years.

The third was a 1970. The whole family left in it for a 150 mile family getogether. He gassed it up and I suggested he have the oil checked. Of course he declined and wouldn't you know 1/2 way there the engine lost oil pressure, the hydraulic lifters collapsed in a clackety din. Pulled off the xway and added oil. Tough mother 460 never wavered!

Present car is an early 90's Mercury large sedan. Probably has seen 2 oil changes.

How can I ask this gently -- does he have a learning disability???
wink.gif
tongue.gif
cheers.gif

Or better still, just:
crushedcar.gif

I changed the oil for my uncle's 1989 Toyota Pickup last week. The oil came out black and thick. I asked him when the oil was last changed, he said not sure, I think it was before "Amber" was born....she's now 4 1/2. I was like crap, maybe I shouldn't have changed it. Next day he comes home he tells me the car pickups faster and asks me to change it again. I said sure, we do it again and it comes out pitch black again. He goes to work again and tells me the car pick ups faster and warms up faster, he says the OD usually doesn't kick-in in the morning when he drives to work (~6 miles city driving). We're going to change it again after 500 miles and then ARX it. The truck is driven maybe 5k miles every year, the bad thing is it's all city driving. I wish I still had the carquest filter that was on the truck to cut-up...

My brother has a 95 toyota corolla. He hasn't changed the oil in 100,000 miles. It as about 225,000 on it now. He only adds oil when needed and changes out the filter every 10,000. He has added every anti friction product imaginable in the engine and it has at least 5 different brands of oil in it. The cars still runs well for the abuse it has taken.

posted 20 September, 2005 14:26
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My brother has a 95 toyota corolla. He hasn't changed the oil in 100,000 miles. It as about 225,000 on it now. He only adds oil when needed and changes out the filter every 10,000. He has added every anti friction product imaginable in the engine and it has at least 5 different brands of oil in it. The cars still runs well for the abuse it has taken.

What do they make them vehicals out of down there?

quote:

Originally posted by dave1251:
posted 20 September, 2005 14:26
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do they make them vehicals out of down there?

I've seen a lot of old Nissan's and Toyota's running like this in the DC Metro area.At least he changed the filter at 10K!

Growing up I had a friend whose father did a lot of driving for sales calls. Logged about 35,000 miles a year. He had an old Buick with a V8.

We were just getting into working on cars and offered to change his oil. His reply was he never changed his oil. He would check it monthly and top it off. In over 200,000 miles he had the original filter and just added oil to the engine when needed. Go figure?

frank1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back