10W-30 vs 15W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody out there using 10W-30 in their light truck diesels? I'm considering this in my Ford 6.9L for fuel economy reasons and maybe also in my tractors. I won't say any more but open the discussion hoping to see some typical BITOG brilliance exhibited. Many thanks.

I dont think I qualify in the BITOG brilliance dept here but for all it is worth:

An Esso/Exxon bulk rep up here told me he uses XD3 0-30 group 1v POA syn oil in his newer Dodge Cummins diesel all year round because he is a little to cheap to spend a few more cents on 0-40 XD3 syn oil. Few cents compared to losing a $12,000.00 engine, $80.00 per hour repairs + parts?

It can get 105F here and as low as -40F winter. I wont even use 0-40 syn XD3 on my Cummins in heat of summer, I use XD3 15-40 dino HDEO on hot part of summer, and no thinner than 0-40 XD3 syn winter, 10-30 dino would scare me off any time of year.

As far as my diesel goes, I will pay bit more for fuel using a heavier oil than risk damage and repair bills on my engine, that is really expensive at $80.00 per hour + parts IMO.

I respectfully ask why you would risk your engines for a few dollars on fuel savings?

Cyprs

I'm not an expert. Just had my oil/oil filter changed on my 2002 F350 7.3 at a Ford Truck Dealer(who only work on diesel trucks) and they used the MC 10w30 Powerstroke diesel oil this time instead of the 15w40 Powerstroke diesel oil. I even got two 1 quart bottles from them (10w30 Powerstroke diesel oil)in case I need to top off. So far no problems, and they advised their would be no issues of concern. I do think next time I will ask for the 15w40 because that is what I've used in the past.

The B model Cummins is very easy on the oil and will perform ok on 30wt oil. HUEI engine typically do poorly on a 30wt oil, usually due to the HUEI pump shearing the oil. We tried running 30wt in our VT365/6.0 PowerStrokes and it did not work well at all due to shearing and the fuel dilution problems that the VT365 is known for. I like to run 15w40 in the summer and 5w40 in the winter, and in extremely cold climates (sustained below 0*F temps) have run 30wt. However, in those cold climates the oil temp usually does not exceed 100*F in many cases.

There are many debatable aspects of this argument, and I agree that they’re times when a 30wt oil performs well. In most cases I would recommend a 0/5/15w40 oil for any medium/heavy-duty diesel. I do not believe that the lower viscosity oil can properly suspend the crank and rods in the journal bearings with the high loads imposed on them in a diesel.

A 6.9 would probably be fine on 30wt since it doesn’t have real high cylinder pressures. If your 6.9 has a turbo retrofitted I would go with a 40wt. Best way to tell will be to run a couple of OCI’s with 30wt and do UOA and then compare to the trends on 40wt (since I’m assuming you are currently using 40wt?). I doubt that 30wt would make a larger enough difference in an diesel engine that large to increase the fuel mileage.

Jim,

The Amsoil 10w-30/30wt, "ACD" formulation will accomplish what you want here, without compromising on wear protection. It's thinner than a 40wt, but almost 100% shear stable. I'd expect a fuel savings of at least 3% in comparison to a petroleum based 15w-40 in cold weather and noticably better starting. You can also conservatively double your service intervals without the use of a bypass filter. An excellent product that's been around since 1975 and is well proven....

Consider trying some in your Ford tractor this winter - I think you'll be convinced.

I should add that the first batch of Amsoil you run will effectively clean out pre-existing engine deposits over the first 100-150 hrs of operation. So I'd change the first oil filter at no more than 50% of your normal filter change interval and topoff the crankcase. This will help filter out the suspended solids in the oil and reduce oil consumption.

TS

I would not think twice about using a 10W-30 in my diesels. Even if I had a new 6.0 psd or a 7.3 psd. I would run the easialy availible MC Powerstroke Diesel 10W-30 at Murray Auto's in my area. I have a 7.3 in my scope of intrest in buying. Thats what it will get.

10W-30/30 AMSOIL should be an excellent oil for diesel use. Doesn't matter if it's 105 F as long as it's 30 for the top end number it should do fine. Last I knew that was what it meant 10 (Winter)- (to) 30 Weight viscosity.

Darth-Sidious.jpg

This may not be relevant at all, but I've got a L3750 Kubota tractor, which has a 142cu.in. 5-cylinder diesel. I was a bit surprised when I saw in the owner's manual that it calls for 10W-30 in all temperature ranges, but that's what I'm using in it right now - Delo 400 10W-30.

I work it pretty hard plowing a couple of acres with a box scraper and maintaining a dirt road on my property, and it does just fine. It's got 915 hours on it.

Now, having said that, this is a non-turbocharged application, and the tractor puts out a whole 45 hp, and it has a 9.5 quart engine oil capacity, with a redline of about 2,200 rpm, so it may not work oil very hard.

Just some additional input, I guess.
banana.gif

Thanks, I appreciate all the input. For now, I'm sticking with 15W-40, mostly because I have one 8100 hour unit in the "fleet" that NEEDS it and I really don't want to have four grades of oil to keep around rather than the three I have now. I'm convinced that 10W-30 would be fine in the truck, and perhaps my 38hp utility tractor, but the minor gains in switching over aren't worth the hassle of adding to the complexity of my oil inventory. It was a good discussion.

The trick to good results with 30Wt. in a diesel are that it must have higher HTHS then passenger car oil and must have next to know VII's or extremly shear stable ones. Passenger car 10W30 will protect the bearings in a diesel just fine but the valvetrain will have much more wear then normal.

Hey Cyprs, why will you not use 0w40 in the summer? Just curious because I am going to run XD3 0w40 all year in my Cummins.
Derek

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back