10k on conventional

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Originally Posted By: tig1

Using M1 or other quality synthetic oils is no problem for 10K OCIs, but that's a sure bet for varnish and possible sludge build up with dino.IMO.

To be fair, no reasonable person is going to expect you to vouch for 10K conventional or not mention M1 in every post....

What's fair got to do with it?

To be fair - Seems few folks have run 10k OCI's for decades - holding steadfast past the 3k/3mos era. (USA)
To be fair - a number of oils today would do what Tig does ... Not many would when he started

Respect his loyalty - but I'm not quite that loyal and have slowly become more of a bargain hunter - not going to pass up a good buy because it's not my normal product - and as we watch GII+ oils get better - now only have half of them on SHC oils.

Seeing the BITOG "been there - done that" stuff is just as useful as the technical things folks share here ...

Originally Posted By: bigt61
It will be fine, just keep it topped off. You can't kill a 4.3 unless you actually run it with no oil.

You're right- you can't kill a 4.3. Like all of the GM V6s in recent years, the leaky intake manifold gaskets will kill it for you.
laugh.gif

That reason alone is why I never went past 3000 mile OCIs in any of my Buicks or Oldsmobiles. Even with replacing the gaskets with Felpros every 30,000 miles as preventative maintenance, UOAs always confirmed trace amounts of coolant present in the oil.

I leased an S10 not long after the Vortec was introduced and aside from the EGR clogging up relentlessly, I only had to replace the intake gaskets once at around the 2.5 year mark. They seem to be easier on the IMGs than say, the 3.1 - 3.8 range of blocks.

Originally Posted By: Joenpb
Not a fan of saving pennies at the expense of my engine.

Me either. I also have a hard time with blanket statements regarding dino oil can go x miles, or synthetic oil can go y miles without knowing the conditions the vehicle is driven under, and having data to prove it under those conditions.

No doubt it took serious money to develop OLM's on modern vehicles - but I'm sure some dead beat owners helped them decide to invest ...

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Me either.

Im not a fan of saving my engine at the expense of pennies.

J/K, LOL

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Me either.

Im not a fan of saving my engine at the expense of pennies.

J/K, LOL

I had to read that a couple of times.......I got it now.
smile.gif

You back on Eastern Standard time zone now ?? Or it is Hawaii standard Time zone?? Or west coast standard time zone?? Or could it be Tokyo time zone ??
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bbhero
You back on Eastern Standard time zone now ?? Or it is Hawaii standard Time zone?? Or west coast standard time zone?? Or could it be Tokyo time zone ??
smile.gif

Back in NY.
frown.gif

No one here is but that wasn't the question.

I just changed my 2016 RAM with the Pentastar @ 8500 miles using the Chevron Supreme. It meets MS-6395 Spec and the OLM had 12% left on it. The engineers evidently think the "Dino Oil" is good for very close to 10k and I'm betting they have plenty of research behind their choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back