1080p 42" Plasma TVs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: grndslm

The best LED-backlit LCD TV is the cheapest one possible. 1080p means that is resolution is going to be standard with a Samsung, Sony, or whatever brand is considered the best.

LOL!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I must have been looking at the wrong numbers. My bad. Now that I found energy guide for both sets, it shows that the plasma (Panasonic TC-P42S60) has estimated yearly energy cost of $22:
http://shop.panasonic.com/docs/energy-guide/2013/tv/TC-P42S60_Energy_Guide.pdf

While the Sony 42EX440 (which I ended up buying) is at $13:
http://store.sony.com/wcsstore/SonyStyleStorefrontAssetStore/pdf/KDL42EX440.pdf

Still, I personally wouldn't make that small difference in operating cost affect my purchasing decision, but I suppose some people might. I actually somewhat regret not getting the plasma due to its superior black levels.

That isn't much of a difference at all, but I think the differences might be more pronounced at the 60" level.

Like this 60" Vizio, which uses less than 84 Watts!!
http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E601i-A3-60-inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B009H8JOZS

I don't think there's any 60" Plasma that could use less than 170 Watts. But maybe so....

I just know I wouldn't be buying a 42" tv right now, when I can have a 60" shipped to my door for $998. A 60" LED offers more than double the screen real estate than a 42" LED, while managing almost no increase in power consumption, @ $17 / year. I'd gladly pay $4 more a year for 104% greater screen area.

- http://www.displaywars.com/42-inch-16x9-vs-60-inch-16x9

...I just know I wouldn't be buying a 42" tv right now, when I can have a 60" shipped to my door for $998...

There are places where 60" TVs will not phyiscally fit, or where they would but would be too big, have inadequate WAF, etc.

Your posts make it seem that your personal decision criteria is something like Value = (Size + Energy Use)/Cost, without much regard for picture quality or brand considerations. Others are likely to consider different factors and weigh them differently.

OP, I suggest researching at AVSForum.com, very active message boards there.

jeff

I just know I wouldn't be buying a 42" tv right now, when I can have a 60" shipped to my door for $998. A 60" LED offers more than double the screen real estate than a 42" LED, while managing almost no increase in power consumption, @ $17 / year. I'd gladly pay $4 more a year for 104% greater screen area.

That's great for you, but the OP specifically asked for a 42" TV.

I bought 6 LCD's 6-7 years ago from Sharp Family and Friend coupons, sold 3 and kept 3. The main one is 52" in family room, master bedroom has 45-46" the second bedroom has 40". The 52" was fairly large at that time even I sit about 15-16 feet away, now it looks small compares with my BIL's 65" Samsung.

I think if I'm going to replace that 52" LCD, when it stops working, I will probably go with 65-70" class, may be 75-80" class if the price of 80" is down to $1500-2000.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I bought 6 LCD's 6-7 years ago from Sharp Family and Friend coupons, sold 3 and kept 3. The main one is 52" in family room, master bedroom has 45-46" the second bedroom has 40". The 52" was fairly large at that time even I sit about 15-16 feet away, now it looks small compares with my BIL's 65" Samsung.

I think if I'm going to replace that 52" LCD, when it stops working, I will probably go with 65-70" class, may be 75-80" class if the price of 80" is down to $1500-2000.

In a few years, I wouldn't at all be surprised if the 80" TVs were in the $1500-$2000 range. The 70" Vizio right now can be had for just over $1500 with rebate. It's edge-lit LED/LCD, 120Hz, smartTV with built-in wifi apps. Granted, it isn't very high end being an E-series Vizio. But it's still a darn good deal for the money!

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
...What you are describing is a phase out by another competing technology, not necessarily a better technology at that. History is full of such examples where the market chose one technology over the other where the "looser" was actually superior to the "winner"...
Not only with physical products. Microsoft is a prime example of how the earliest OS's were best and subsequent ones progressively became vague, user-unfriendy, bulky (in the sense that more storage space is needed for their installation) and tend to hide consumer-useful fuctions.
I'm bumping this thread, because it comes closest to defining the plasma-based monitor which is acting up. Specifically, I bought it used, late last spring and have noticed that with progressively cooler season changes, frequent turning it on and off to get the picture to hold has to be countered, by warming it up near the heating radiator, if a video isn't constantly playing. The warmer it gets, the less frequency in turning it on and off is needed. Appearantly, it's one of those early transitional LED-plasma combos which replaced the old picture tube types, before the flatter LED ones appeared.
My question is, do these monitor types progressively fail to the point where they will never function, regardlass of the amount of external warming or is it possible to feasably repair these? I bought it used for next to nothing. Thus, I can write it off. But, once it warms up, it runs fine and I know what I've got. The next one might not have the longevity this one had and despite being an economical flat exclusively LED type, typical of newer items is the progressively lower general quality of those things

I read through this whole thing pretty quickly so I may have missed someone else mentioning what I'm about to say. Plasma sets are HEAVY compared to LCD sets of similar picture size. I mean, A LOT heavier. Also, I believe that the power consumption of a plasma set is significantly higher than LCD. I'm still using my 32" 2007 vintage Visio 720p LCD set. Seems like I watch more video on the computer and phone, anyway. I'm waiting for the OLED, hang-like-a-poster sets to become more mainstream and affordable.

Also, I used this site to calibrate my TV and it's something to try out before going the professional route. (IF your set is listed, of course)

http://www.tweaktv.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back