105,000 mile plugs out of my Escape.

Today I got around to doing the plugs on my Escape. They had never been done in 105,000 miles. I was pleasantly surprised. Each one let out a loud squeak when loosened as they were trying to make a forever home. I put the same plugs back in. Motorcraft Irridiums.

Attachments

• IMG_20220130_114829.jpg
    IMG_20220130_114829.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 208
Iridium plugs are pretty **** impressive. Changed the factory plugs in our 1.5L Ecoboost at 98k miles and they looked okay. Had no performance reasons for changing them, just maintenance since NGK says they're good for around 100k. Car didn't run any "better", get better fuel economy, etc with the new plugs.

Doesn't Ford get their long life plugs from NGK? Or Denso? Maybe either or?
Pretty sure they are almost all NGK. They aren't expensive and at 100k I probably would have just replaced them if I was gonna go through the trouble to pull them out. Especially since the threads are very dirty so the next time you go to pull them out they might be even worse.

Pretty sure they are almost all NGK. They aren't expensive and at 100k I probably would have just replaced them if I was gonna go through the trouble to pull them out. Especially since the threads are very dirty so the next time you go to pull them out they might be even worse.

Way back with my '95 Integra GS-R, the OEM double platinum plugs were easy to pull even with their 60K mile recommended change. But even at that age I checked the gap and they were fine past 70K miles. I bought some replacements where only the dealer had them gapped to 1.3mm. But a shop said it was fine to re-gap them if care was taken to not damage the platinum.

I've never pulled out plugs on a boxer or a V engine. Scares the heck out of me.

Good work!

Is it an easy job on this vintage of Escape? I can't see not doing this at this age/mileage if it's easy to do.

It doesn't look fun at all on our 2019 Pathfinder with the VQ35DD. A lot has to be removed to get at one bank. We're only at like 62K miles, so it's got some time. LOL.

Good work!

Is it an easy job on this vintage of Escape? I can't see not doing this at this age/mileage if it's easy to do.

It doesn't look fun at all on our 2019 Pathfinder with the VQ35DD. A lot has to be removed to get at one bank. We're only at like 62K miles, so it's got some time. LOL.
escape-25-engine.jpg

Very easy!

Back