10 ply tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the replys gents i just got this truck it does have 10plys on it which i will use for summer and put some general at2's on my other rims probably a 6 ply for my winter trapping and hunting excursions

Originally Posted By: Aspen
Thanks for the replys gents i just got this truck it does have 10plys on it which i will use for summer and put some general at2's on my other rims probably a 6 ply for my winter trapping and hunting excursions

You might have mentioned what your intented purpose was in your first post...hunting and trapping excursions means driving unpaved roads with jagged rocks and there will be times you won't have good snow cover to soften the impact. I am guessing you will be using chains? And traveling some of those oil field roads?

You need "E" range.

General tires are great and a very good value for their quality based on my personal experience. I picked one set up at Canadian Tire in Whitehorse come to think of it.

BTW, Gordon Lightfoot is one of the best songwriters in the World.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

You might have mentioned what your intented purpose was in your first post...hunting and trapping excursions means driving unpaved roads with jagged rocks and there will be times you won't have good snow cover to soften the impact. I am guessing you will be using chains? And traveling some of those oil field roads?

You need "E" range.

General tires are great and a very good value for their quality based on my personal experience. I picked one set up at Canadian Tire in Whitehorse come to think of it.

Dont think ill be needing chains im in the southwest corner of alberta ..mostly gravel roads and muddy drifted farmer fields and a small bit of mountain use ..i dont have a issue putting 10 plys on was just curious of front end issues that may arrise

I have to get LT tires on my Dodge because it's 3/4 ton and I do pull fairly large loads but only once a month if even that. They ride like a buckboard wagon. Don't know why anyone would want them.
I just bought some Nankangs that are 3 ply/ E rated and they ride really nice.
Michelins and BF Goodrich not so much.

Last edited:
I've run some load range E tire's on a few light trucks. I've never noticed any extra wear to the trucks. I never ran them at the 80psi they're rated at though only 35-40psi. That way they don't ride so hard

Originally Posted By: John_VT
I've run some load range E tire's on a few light trucks. I've never noticed any extra wear to the trucks. I never ran them at the 80psi they're rated at though only 35-40psi. That way they don't ride so hard

Agreed. I have "E"'s for the rough, rocky roads I drive and run at the manufacture's normal inflation recommendation for normal duty. No need to inflate "up" unless you are going to haul a heavy load.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
If you don't need LT tires, you don't need a truck. Full stop.
My Chevy 1500 pulled lots of trailers, hauled lots of lumbar, plywood, and 12 foot sheets of drywall. Hauled my quad out to the desert and moved lots of people.

Kind of hard to do without a pickup. It didn't need LT tires.

I like a tire that starts off with 17/32" tread or deeper, not 13/32" like the p-rated tires that come on half tons. Normal observed wear is around 1/32" per 6,000 miles (10k km). That extra 4/32" gives me better traction for 24k miles than a new car type tire. Mounting, balancing and disposal fees add up, so a longer lasting tire that may cost a little more initially, but saves money in the long run. A new tire starting out at 13/32" will be down to 9/32" at the 24k mark.

What are you driving Aspen? Try Kijiji. Guys lift their HDs then sell original E rated tires, wheels 'n all at give away prices.

Lethbridge country is full of rattle snakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCL-W34XyR8

Last edited:

You need "E" range.

Dont think ill be needing chains im in the southwest corner of alberta ..mostly gravel roads and muddy drifted farmer fields and a small bit of mountain use ..i dont have a issue putting 10 plys on was just curious of front end issues that may arrise

I was thinking your trapline would be further north.

If the tires are of the same size as the manufacturer recommends on the door jamb sticker for your vehicle then front end issues would not arise.
If you are also increasing to an oversize tire (and load range) then any front end issues would be the result of the dimensional changes. Running oversize tires results in premature wear to front end components.

I'll go along with that, but I believe a slightly taller tire of the same size won't add tire patch loading and increased wear on suspension and steering parts.
When people put wide wheels with increased off-set to the outside (negative off-set), in addition to heavy big wide tires, problems arise especially if the wheel alinement is not adjusted for the new tread center or "track".
I was thinking 265/70/18 E instead of 265/65/18 C or P-rated, or perhaps a taller 17 inch tire like a 255/80/17 D or E, (33X10") instead of a p-rated 265/70/17 (10.5 X 31.7).
Taller tires absorb bumps and rough road surfaces better and add a little ground clearance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: userfriendly
I like a tire that starts off with 17/32" tread or deeper, not 13/32" like the p-rated tires that come on half tons.
Normal observed wear is around 1/32" per 6,000 miles (10k km). That extra 4/32" gives me better traction for 24k miles than a new car type tire. Mounting, balancing and disposal fees add up, so a longer lasting tire that may cost a little more initially, but saves money in the long run. A new tire starting out at 13/32" will be down to 9/32" at the 24k mark.

What are you driving Aspen? Try Kijiji. Guys lift their HDs then sell original E rated tires, wheels 'n all at give away prices.

And I like a tire that doesn't jar me to death. Since most half-ton pickups ride like cars these days when unloaded.

Costs-whatever they are are secondary to my comfort.

Last edited:
I'll go along with that, but I believe a slightly taller tire of the same size won't add tire patch loading and increased wear on suspension and steering parts.
When people put wide wheels with increased off-set to the outside (negative off-set), in addition to heavy big wide tires, problems arise especially if the wheel alinement is not adjusted for the new tread center or "track".
I was thinking 265/70/18 E instead of 265/65/18 C or P-rated, or perhaps a taller 17 inch tire like a 255/80/17 D or E, (33X10") instead of a p-rated 265/70/17 (10.5 X 31.7).
Taller tires absorb bumps and rough road surfaces better and add a little ground clearance.

Actually, what you are saying is what I practice on my own rigs. I like a narrow, high-profile tire rather than a tire that adds width and height.

I don't run in the sand so flotation is not important to me. I like a narrow and tall tire for roads and trails that are snow covered and not regularly plowed because the tire cuts through to the ground rather than floating on top of the snow.

Cheers

Originally Posted By: CKN
I like a tire that starts off with 17/32" tread or deeper, not 13/32" like the p-rated tires that come on half tons.
Normal observed wear is around 1/32" per 6,000 miles (10k km). That extra 4/32" gives me better traction for 24k miles than a new car type tire. Mounting, balancing and disposal fees add up, so a longer lasting tire that may cost a little more initially, but saves money in the long run. A new tire starting out at 13/32" will be down to 9/32" at the 24k mark.

And I like a tire that doesn't jar me to death. Since most half-ton pickups ride like cars these days when unloaded.

Bladder not holding the coffee it used to ?
grin.gif

I know mine doesn't.

Originally Posted By: CKN

Bladder not holding the coffee it used to ?
grin.gif

I know mine doesn't.

Your a good man to admit that-since some on here wouldn't. And the answer is YES!

I like a tire that starts off with 17/32" tread or deeper, not 13/32" like the p-rated tires that come on half tons. Normal observed wear is around 1/32" per 6,000 miles (10k km). That extra 4/32" gives me better traction for 24k miles than a new car type tire. Mounting, balancing and disposal fees add up, so a longer lasting tire that may cost a little more initially, but saves money in the long run. A new tire starting out at 13/32" will be down to 9/32" at the 24k mark.

Im im driving a new to me 2011 dodge ram with 5.7 hemi the sticker on the door says p265/70/17 tires that came with are lt265/70/17 im staying the same size with the new tires ..thanx

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back