1 bad tire, what would you do?

at 5/32 I would replace all 4 of those before winter. I'd just replace them now.
of course we dont know your location since you didnt fill that out..
I disagree. These days many tires only have 10 minus 2 or 8/32” of life. 10-5=5, so those tires are likely 63% worn. How can they be tossed with 37% left? To me 37% is almost 40%…jmoymmv

2 new of the same and place on front . Did this after a puncture . They were RT43 (H) that were under $100 each if I remember correctly . Still in use .

For summers, I'd get a used one and keep going, and be looking for a deal on a new set for next summer. For me I don't mind running them down to the end 2-3/32 . For the wife's car, 5/32 is pretty much the end... So I'd get all 4 new.

Rule of thumb is to replace tires in a set of 2 or 4. You don't want mismatched tires, treads, or wear/size.

At 5/32nds you're getting to the end of useful life. Buying a set of 4 is more cost effective b/c of deals on sets of 4, versus 2 now and 2 later. Buy 4, keep the old 3 for spares if you have storage space. Put one in the trunk and put 2 in the garage for an emergency (someone slashes your tires, or you have 2 blowouts, etc.). Or keep 1 as spare and donate the 2 as a pair.

I disagree. These days many tires only have 10 minus 2 or 8/32” of life. 10-5=5, so those tires are likely 63% worn. How can they be tossed with 37% left? To me 37% is almost 40%…jmoymmv
because 2/32 is only ok in dry and even then you are 10x more likely to have a tire injury(puncture etc) as full tread.
4/32 is the min for rain.. they are almost there... and he needs 1 tire now.. just buy 4.
Also TA31's are a very budget tire. I'd be "upgrading" at the same time.

He could sell them to you for 37% of new though.

I have about 20K on a set. One tire has been abused. Two nails and a big rod. Plugged but losing air. Would you replace one tire? Two? Or the whole set??
How old are they?

A few years ago in the winter I hit a pothole in my accord that blew out the tire. It was one that a plow created and went deep with rebar.

Even with 76k mikes on my accord, these OE tires have plenty of tread left. But back then there was much more. So I went on eBay and found one with about the same tread and age, installed it, and it’s still working perfect.

IMG_9891.jpeg

because 2/32 is only ok in dry and even then you are 10x more likely to have a tire injury(puncture etc) as full tread.
4/32 is the min for rain.. they are almost there... and he needs 1 tire now.. just buy 4.

Nah. 4/32 can no longer drive in rain? You just never know, he may not have as much money as you 🤣

Nah. 4/32 can no longer drive in rain? You just never know, he may not have as much money as you 🤣
actually I said 4/32 was the minimum for rain.
Tires are cheaper than wrecking your car though.
New tires could be the cheap option.

I've had this problem before and purchased 2. Then placed them up front.

In fact, I kind of have it again. So your thread is relevant to my needs.

I understand the wisdom is to use the new tires in the back, with the expectation that it prevents oversteer. However in the rain, the front tires do move water away from the rears at highway speeds. Overall, I've found that I can go faster before hydroplaning with fresh tires up front.

The suggestion of a used tire is also interesting. Might be difficult to achieve, but I'm not against it.
By the time your more grippy front tires signal hydroplaning your rear tires are already floating. Yes, you can go faster with your method but do you think it's really a safe idea?

Keeping a spare tire in rotation along with the other tires could be a future approach - presuming your vehicle comes with a full-size spare.

If the good tire on the same axle (I don't have AWD or 4WD) has 7/32 or more, 1 used tire to replace the bad one. If 6/32 or less, 2 new tires.

What tire would you recommend as an upgrade?

IMO just get one new, similar tire. You'll never notice any difference.

You will still be better off than most vehicles out there.

Edit: If you do want new tires, 5/32 is close to where I replace them anyway for the cold rain and snow.
Buddy I work with on his Corolla has four different brand tires. Says when he needs a new tire just goes to his tire guy, has him put on whatever size used he needs and off he goes.

IMHO, I'd do all 4 since you're at 5/32. One factor you're not considering is your time shopping for a "matching" tire, trip to the tire shop, tip, etc.

Tires, steering, brakes. 3 things you don't take shortcuts on.

I'd just buy a new tire of whatever is cheapest at your local tire shop. When time for replacing the rest you can just keep that one as a spare

Back