0W-20 used instead of 5W-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Community,

First post here looking for some thoughts. I have a potential issue that is quite similar but pretty much the opposite of the issue discussed thoroughly in https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...3711/all/0W-20_vs._5W-30_-_General_Moto.

My issue is that my vehicle's manual (2018 Chevy Traverse) calls for 5W-30 (or 0W-30 in cold climate defined as -20F or below which is extremely rare where I live in Colorado), and the dealer, who has handled the first two oil changes free of charge as part of the benefits of the new vehicle purchase, appears to have used 0W-20 in both changes. I never even thought of the need to double check whether the dealer was doing things right, and only discovered this yesterday when reviewing the receipts as part of my efforts to get up to speed on handling my own oil changes now that the freebies are used up. My concern is whether this use of the 0W-20 oil had the potential to cause extra wear and tear that wouldn't have occurred had the prescribed 5W-30 or 0W-30 been used instead. Any thoughts on this? Would raising concerns with the dealer be advised?

Would really appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks!

What's your proof? Did the dealer put 0w-20 oil on the service record? If so, take it back and watch them change it again with the proper oil. Or do it yourself if you are able.

That's a new one. Usually, dealers are known to use a thicker bulk oil on everything, not a thinner one.

I second Chris's question; do the receipts indicate 0w20?

Yep, the printout I have reads:

"Installed 88865698 :DEXOS 0W20 FULL SYNTHETIC Qty: 5"

Both printouts - first for change around 7K miles and second for change around 14k miles - read the same thing with the 0W20 refererence. There's about 21k miles on the car now, so the 0W-20 has been in place for about 14k miles (assuming the original from the factory was 5W-30), so that amount of mileage running 0W-20 is my concern. I have no problem asking the dealer to put the correct oil in...but I'm wondering if I should raise a bigger stink if there is potential engine damage because of 14k miles running 0W-20.

I would probably be sure it was well documented that incorrect oil was used by the dealership. Probably not a issue and no damages done. If your worried you could always contact GM corporate and see what they advise.

In any event I findt odd that the dealer would use the wrong oil. Probably cost them more than using the bulk 5w30 but I don't know for sure.

I'm sure there was no extra wear and tear from using the 0w20 oil. Now that you are going to change your own just go with the 5w30 in the brand of your choice.

Do yourself a favor and do your own oil changes, or take it elsewhere, and make sure you specify the oil and grade you want used. Did it cause additional wear? Honestly you will never know, and will never be able to prove it.

If I were to guess, I'd say that's just a misprint. Probably just what the girl typing out the work order puts down on every oil change. But just a guess. I see this quite a bit in the medical industry also. Where documents from patient to patient are so similar that they tend to use the same one over and over.

Anyway, I'd not worry. However, it's best if you use a quality oil of sufficient viscosity and change it regularly.

In any case, you have documented evidence the dealership put in 0w-20. So if anything should go wrong with the engine during the warranty period you have something to point at. And you can justify your concern by the fact that you decided to start doing your own oil changes with the correct grade oil once you found this out. The engine is now on them. Just keep receipts of any future oil and filters you buy.

0W-20 can't be all bad . It's the recommended oil for my 2018 Nissan Titan V-8 .

Originally Posted by nomas
0W-20 can't be all bad . It's the recommended oil for my 2018 Nissan Titan V-8 .

Right, but does the Titan have the same timing chain design, oiling system and timing chain guides as the Chev?

Originally Posted by Danno

Right, but does the Titan have the same timing chain design, oiling system and timing chain guides as the Chev?

I have no idea . That was just my way of saying " everything is going to be ok " .

Originally Posted by shaggyis18
Hello Community,

First post here looking for some thoughts. I have a potential issue that is quite similar but pretty much the opposite of the issue discussed thoroughly in https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...3711/all/0W-20_vs._5W-30_-_General_Moto.

My issue is that my vehicle's manual (2018 Chevy Traverse) calls for 5W-30 (or 0W-30 in cold climate defined as -20F or below which is extremely rare where I live in Colorado), and the dealer, who has handled the first two oil changes free of charge as part of the benefits of the new vehicle purchase, appears to have used 0W-20 in both changes. I never even thought of the need to double check whether the dealer was doing things right, and only discovered this yesterday when reviewing the receipts as part of my efforts to get up to speed on handling my own oil changes now that the freebies are used up. My concern is whether this use of the 0W-20 oil had the potential to cause extra wear and tear that wouldn't have occurred had the prescribed 5W-30 or 0W-30 been used instead. Any thoughts on this? Would raising concerns with the dealer be advised?

Would really appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks!

Two things:
1. welcome aboard! It looks like you are going fit right in here!
wink.gif

2. take a breath, relax, your vehicle is fine. It is in the exact same shape as it would have been had they used 5W-30...possibly even better.

Is 0W-20 different from 5W-30? Sure.
Is the difference significant enough that your particular application could suffer negative consequences from using it instead of 5W-30? No, not even close...not based upon the information you have provided about your vehicle, location, etc.

It's good that you were detail oriented enough to notice the error on the print-out. That will serve you well in life, as it likely already has. But in this specific instance, your vehicle has no standing for punitive actions - it's fine. So any trouble you go to in the hopes of being made whole will likely be more trouble than they are worth...literally.

Now, on to the really important topic -beer. The last time I was in Colorado, I toured the Coors brewery, and that's where I was introduced for the first time to Blue Moon. It's been my favorite brew ever since (2006?). What's the Blue Moon coverage like there in Colorado, I'm assuming it's the standard draft beer at every place that serves alcohol?

0-20 is also recommended for the big block GM engines in their trucks and large SUVs.

Originally Posted by Danno

And the 0-20 may well provide better lubrication than a heavier oil??

If I had to guess I think the dealer will spin some sort of lie about hitting the wrong button, not changing the default grade of oil on the paperwork etc.

as in lie that they did put 5w30 in and just the paperwork is wrong.

Wow....over thinking just a bit? Don't worry about it. If it did cause more wear, it would be so little that it will not matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back