08 Expedition no crank issue

Trying to figure out a no crank condition on our 08 Expedition.

About a month ago it didn't want to start after sitting for a few weeks. I figured it was the battery as it was about 5 years old. It turned out it was dirty battery terminals and started up after cleaning them.

Now, after sitting for another few weeks it doesn't want to start again. I don't think the conditions are related but mentioned the earlier issue as it could be a clue.

I tested with a different key, switched out the battery, performed voltage drop test on all the cables. Voltage is 12.7.

The primary symptom is no dash lights, text or sound when the key is switch to run, and no crank with the key in the start position. All the accessories seem to be working as normal. I've got a slow blinking PATS light with key off which does not change with the key in the run position. The key switch seems to be working fine as the key switched accessories go on and off as expected.

I've ohm'ed out all the fuses (all good) and swapped all the relays around but no joy.

The last clue is there seems to be no OBDII connectivity as none of my blue tooth dongles will connect.

Please make me feel stupid and point out the obvious things I'm overlooking. 😁

Funny you mention it.. the cigarette lighter fuse was blown, but it hasn't worked in years so I assumed it wasn't an issue. I replaced it after I saw your post but it didn't make a difference.

I've got 12V at the OBDII plug but it doesn't seem to connect to the PCM.

Any chance of rodent damage? If you have 12V at the plug and still cant talk to the scanner, that's going to be a problem. Check the connectors at the PCM and the harness going to it.

Good suggestion. I did check the harness at the PCM but it looks fine. I also checked the ground there. I'll give the harness another good check for damage.

Just following up on this... I finally narrowed it down to a bad ignition starter switch. I ordered one off Amazon and got sent one for an 05. Finally got the right part and installed this morning and am back on the road with it.

Just following up on this... I finally narrowed it down to a bad ignition starter switch. I ordered one off Amazon and got sent one for an 05. Finally got the right part and installed this morning and am back on the road with it.
How did you determine that was the problem?

I found a wiring diagram and verified powers and grounds at the ignition switch connector. I then jumped the right pins (carefully!) in the pigtail and got the dash lights to come on which wouldn't with the key in the on position. That was evidence enough for me to blame the switch.

BTW, you need the key in the ignition to do the test or else the PATS system interferes.

Back