03 Saturn Ion, replacing clutch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm coming up on about 100k in the saturn. The clutch still holds good, just slips a little bit first thing in the morning, and sometimes coming away from stop signs.

I've never had to replace a clutch on a car, so what would get replaced on this model?

I'm looking at a clutch kit for $360 that includes a slave cylinder. Brand is Sachs.

The clutch master cylinder is $284, does that get replaced also?

A brute power flywheel is $103, an OEM flywheel is $188.

Does the flywheel typically get replaced, or just sent to a machine shop for resurfacing?

Thanks,
Justin

Justin, I don't know the layout, but you also may have exhaust that's got to dropped out of the way for the clutch r/r. That's more $$$.

How long have you owned this car? 100Kmi is pretty early, unless she was driven badly.

Joel

I would only replace the necessary parts.
Clutch kit includes the pressure plate, friction disc, release bearing, and spline tool.

If the flywheel is not a dual mass, resurface it. It's like $25.

No need to play with the rest of the clutch system (hydraulics)

I changed the clutch on my S-series for about $250 all said and done. Clutch kit, resurfaced flywheel, 2 new axle seals and some fresh ATF.

NOrmally, a resurfacing of the flywheel is not needed.
If there are visual problems or felt symptoms, then go and do it.

A clutch rarely slips taking off in first gear - you are intentionally slipping it already. It is noticeable in higher gears or when giving it the gas while in gear.
What I'm getting at is that the clutch may not be bad, esp at only 100k.
If you replace it, get the disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing [if any], and the rear crank seal. Maybe the front input seal for the tranny.

You should replace the hydraulics.

There are numerous instances where the hydraulics fail halfway into the life of the replacement clutch, and that causes a higher expense in the long term.

One more thing - have a few friends or experts who know how to drive stick shift cars test drive it for a few minutes.
They hopefully can confirm or identify what is really wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back