0 oil pressure for 10 seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the additive cocktail you put in the oil messed with its cold flow characteristics.
But I don't think the 10 seconds at idle with zero oil pressure hurt the bearings. The oil at that temperature was very thick, would have formed a very thick oil film, and stayed in the bearings very well.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
But I don't think the 10 seconds at idle with zero oil pressure hurt the bearings. The oil at that temperature was very thick, would have formed a very thick oil film, and stayed in the bearings very well.

Most certainly

UPDATE. Put on oil pan heater last night on the side. Did not quite make it on the bottom due to the drain bolt. Turned it on at 6am from the house. Temperature was -30. Was hoping for oil temperature anywhere from +20 to +30. Turned heater off at 7:15 am (on for hour and fifteen minutes) Used my heat gun to warm the filter a little. Pulled the dip stick felt the oil an it was a little warm. Put stick back in took it out raised it straight up and the oil ran down the stick Started the engine and within a second showed pressure. Took about 2-3 seconds to 60 psi. Am I happy you bet. Only an hour and fifteen.

Good work sir
smile.gif

I thought I was going to get to start my car at something below -25F this morning, but the forecast I had been tracking was full of it.
I've had been seeing all last week that the expected low where I ski was going to be -29F Saturday into Sunday, but I checked my car when I got back from the pub at 11pm last night and it said -6F. When I went to ski between 7 and 7:30am, it said -11F. I know the car's temp sensor is probably not super accurate and I'm sure the temp was lower in the wee small hours, but there's no way it every got close to -29F.
Skiing was OK, BTW, my lips were really cold on my first run and on the run after I took my break, but my face seemed to numb up pretty quickly each time. Believe this was the first time I ever wore 4 top layers (normal base layer, expedition weight mid layer, ski sweater, and a jacket).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back