0/20 HM vehicles 250k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bullwinkle007
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I've searched here and Google for uoa' s on Accords using various oils and the 20wt ones always show the least amount of wear metals,always in the single digits. On 30wt+ the wear metals always went up (on the models spec'd for 20wt's).

The one thing a uoa doesn't tell you is how the person drives and operates the vehicle. Or the complete history of the car unless you do one every oil change

So what is it that you express your displeasure against 20wt oils?

20wt oils for 1 don't have [censored] for film strength,I don't feel that stick to metals as well as a heaveir oil, my 93 Accord, 91 Civic, all ran on 30wrs, 40wts, dino oil, all lasted over 300k no leaks, never needed a top off in 3k miles, ran them hard, never had ring issues, both cars gone, the 93 was t-boned at 340k, the 91 was rear ended, I had both of these cars in my teens the 93 until I was in my late 20s. Now I run synthetic and oci's 5-6k. This car is driven hard also. Living in the mountains, sees high rpms in the Twisties, and lots of freeway driving. I usually do 5k miles in 6 or 7 weeks. Now if you run, 30 or 40wt and loose a couple of MPG, so be it, so you go from 30 to 27 or 28,

You remember the oil companies pusehd for 3k oil changes, well now with Cafe, and everyone wants long oci's, well the oil companies have to push synthetics, to make up the loss of dino oil sales. I bet the oil companies have their hands in the pot pushing synthetics too, they want to sell oil. Now with governments push for ice to be gone do you really think the oil companies will allow that to happen? Who's also pushing light weight oil? The tree huggers are, gotta save the planet from destroying itself. I'm sure the tree huggers would prefer we go back to horses. Oh weight, then will have more green house gas from their [censored], oh ice, there's green house gas from the more electricity usage. So oil companies almost be gone, and the power companies get larger. Pick your poison I guess. Sorry for the rant.

Lol. Who were you again? I had a guess but you're too angry for that previous user.

20wt oils for 1 don't have [censored] for film strength,I don't feel that stick to metals as well as a heaveir oil, my 93 Accord, 91 Civic, all ran on 30wrs, 40wts, dino oil, all lasted over 300k no leaks, never needed a top off in 3k miles, ran them hard, never had ring issues, both cars gone, the 93 was t-boned at 340k, the 91 was rear ended, I had both of these cars in my teens the 93 until I was in my late 20s. Now I run synthetic and oci's 5-6k. This car is driven hard also. Living in the mountains, sees high rpms in the Twisties, and lots of freeway driving. I usually do 5k miles in 6 or 7 weeks. Now if you run, 30 or 40wt and loose a couple of MPG, so be it, so you go from 30 to 27 or 28,

You remember the oil companies pusehd for 3k oil changes, well now with Cafe, and everyone wants long oci's, well the oil companies have to push synthetics, to make up the loss of dino oil sales. I bet the oil companies have their hands in the pot pushing synthetics too, they want to sell oil. Now with governments push for ice to be gone do you really think the oil companies will allow that to happen? Who's also pushing light weight oil? The tree huggers are, gotta save the planet from destroying itself. I'm sure the tree huggers would prefer we go back to horses. Oh weight, then will have more green house gas from their [censored], oh ice, there's green house gas from the more electricity usage. So oil companies almost be gone, and the power companies get larger. Pick your poison I guess. Sorry for the rant.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Lol. Who were you again? I had a guess but you're too angry for that previous user.

You drive that 96 much? Off topic, I think 93 was the best ever made Accord. my parents bought new. Beat the [censored] out of that car. Tranny was never out, original motor, the rear main seal started dripping at 300k, ac blew cold, only thing done under warranty was the wheel seal on the left rear, that car only had required Maintenance done. Never broke down, always started unless the battery suddenly died. Never needed a new alternator,starter, just maintenance,tires and brakes

Last edited:
I think 93 was the best ever made Accord. my parents bought new. Beat the [censored] out of that car. Tranny was never out, original motor, the rear main seal started dripping at 300k, ac blew cold, only thing done under warranty was the wheel seal on the left rear, that car only had required Maintenance done. Never broke down, always started unless the battery suddenly died. Never needed a new alternator,starter, just maintenance,tires and brakes

I bought a 1992 Honda Accord EX brand new....Had the trans rebuilt twice under warranty & I rebuilt once after the warranty was up. Also had the EGR ports clog up, Main Relay gave up.....All before 100,000 miles.
Then it needed a Timing Belt & front brake rotors at that point so I traded in on a '96 Pontiac Bonneville that was the best sedan I ever owned.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
I think 93 was the best ever made Accord. my parents bought new. Beat the [censored] out of that car. Tranny was never out, original motor, the rear main seal started dripping at 300k, ac blew cold, only thing done under warranty was the wheel seal on the left rear, that car only had required Maintenance done. Never broke down, always started unless the battery suddenly died. Never needed a new alternator,starter, just maintenance,tires and brakes

I bought a 1992 Honda Accord EX brand new....Had the trans rebuilt twice under warranty & I rebuilt once after the warranty was up. Also had the EGR ports clog up, Main Relay gave up.....All before 100,000 miles.
Then it needed a Timing Belt & front brake rotors at that point so I traded in on a '96 Pontiac Bonneville that was the best sedan I ever owned.

I guess sometimes we get a car made on Friday or Monday. 300k units built a year, unfortunately some will get those 2 days. Sorry to hear that.

I think 93 was the best ever made Accord.

We all know the 2012 Accord is the best of the best
wink.gif

I love this one too!!

I have 307k on my 91 CRX. I have always used 5-30. Too scared to put anything lighter in the thing at this point. Still getting 37 MPG though.

Originally Posted By: Ifixjetz1
I have 307k on my 91 CRX. I have always used 5-30. Too scared to put anything lighter in the thing at this point. Still getting 37 MPG though.

Nice car back in the day, 93 was the last year for when the headlights were in glass, I believe 94 they headlights went to plastic. The SI was nice, you should do a motor swaps to a B18 if the body is in good shape.

The customer is always right. Companies market according to tastes and traditions in each country.

Australia and Europe are used to 40 weight oil. The real truth is it doesn’t matter. In the end the cars get T-boned and rear ended and go to the wreckers with great running engines.

I use 5W-20 quite often in my Accord with almost 600k. Still runs great. Previous owner always had it dealer serviced per the OLM (7-9k) using 5W-20 as well. I change it somewhere between 6 and 7k when the OLM hits 10 or 15%.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I use 5W-20 quite often in my Accord with almost 600k. Still runs great. Previous owner always had it dealer serviced per the OLM (7-9k) using 5W-20 as well. I change it somewhere between 6 and 7k when the OLM hits 10 or 15%.

Come on! You have to send us a photo of the odometer.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe

Come on! You have to send us a photo of the odometer.

Will you believe him if he does?

It's okay to have no idea what you're talking about and it's also okay to post nonsense.
Who were you during your last tenure here?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
It's okay to have no idea what you're talking about and it's also okay to post nonsense.

First time registering here, been reading off and on for several years

Then I owe you an apology for having falsely accused you.
I'll add that I was very wary of using 0W-20 before buying a car for which it's the recommended grade.
I thought the same when we bought our first vehicles for which 5W-30 was the recommended grade.
No consumption and no signs of wear after 84K, so, so far, so good.
It's also true that the K24 would probably be just as happy on any number of other grades, as you note that they are in other markets.

Then I owe you an apology for having falsely accused you.
I'll add that I was very wary of using 0W-20 before buying a car for which it's the recommended grade.
I thought the same when we bought our first vehicles for which 5W-30 was the recommended grade.
No consumption and no signs of wear after 84K, so, so far, so good.
It's also true that the K24 would probably be just as happy on any number of other grades, as you note that they are in other markets.

That's ok

What I was thinking, I would prefer to go to a 30 grade, but I don't want to pay for a Pao. So I'm thinking of the GC 0/40 bc it's a pao,and available at Walmart in a 5qt jug,(21.00 rt niw/) if I don't care for it or the car, I'll order the GC 0/30 off of Amazon. It's 59 bucks for 6qt case and available on prime. Redline is 12 a qt plus shipping directly from Redline.

Last edited:

And if you believe that...

The fact that you've been challenged on this topic before by others and have completely ignored their comments tells me you are not new.

But maybe some people will believe it I guess.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

And if you believe that...

The fact that you've been challenged on this topic before by others and have completely ignored their comments tells me you are not new.

But maybe some people will believe it I guess.

Believe what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back