0/20 HM vehicles 250k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bullwinkle007
i used to own a 04 camry before it got rear ended. it had over 300k on the clock. it always ran 5/30 10/30 10/40 15/40. is there anyone here that has a vehicle over 250k that has always had 0/20 in it? i dont see a thin oil and engines lasting 500k.

Based upon what objective evidence? Gut feel does not count.

as the engine wears, whats going to provide extra film in the cylinder walls?

There are lots of engines of various types that still show good crosshatch on the cylinder walls at high mileage, certainly at 250k. What basis do you have that the cylinder wall wear is the point of issue or determinant of longevity???

when you start looking around overseas, the exact same engine used in the same car over there, they run a higher grade oil, and the manual states 0/20 for best mpg, but we really want you to run a 30 or 40wt you can also go to M1 and it will tell you. google m1 uk, enter vehicle, and engine, you'll get the weight they use there. i think the European cars use a higher weight oil for a reason, its better for protection, especially constant high speed driving

Interesting. Travel in Europe much?

Funny that you use the UK as the primary example. Their highest speed limits are 70 MPH, per here:
https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

And the UK is roughly the size of Oregon, Wyoming or Michigan. Not huge, so not long distance high speed driving.

Even Germany... Ever drive the Autobahn? Yes, there's no limit, but routinely at interchanges the speed limit appears and drops speed rapidly. So there's something to be said about big brakes and high acceleration out of the speed zone, but with 82M people in a country that is 85% the size of CA, the distances arent that far/long.

this car is run hard

So longevity is determined solely by oil viscosity and how hard you are choosing to run the vehicle will have no impact?

Understood that many older manuals say that if towing or routinely carrying heavier loads, higher viscosity may be prudent, but it needs to be understood that there is an engineering balance between being too lightly loaded, too heavily loaded, viscosity of lubricants, time at temperature, etc. Increase in any one parameter can only be bandaided by something like oil viscosity, or fully fixed by utilizing equipment that is more capable.

i used to own a 04 camry before it got rear ended. it had over 300k on the clock. it always ran 5/30 10/30 10/40 15/40. is there anyone here that has a vehicle over 250k that has always had 0/20 in it? i dont see a thin oil and engines lasting 500k. as the engine wears, whats going to provide extra film in the cylinder walls? when you start looking around overseas, the exact same engine used in the same car over there, they run a higher grade oil, and the manual states 0/20 for best mpg, but we really want you to run a 30 or 40wt you can also go to M1 and it will tell you. google m1 uk, enter vehicle, and engine, you'll get the weight they use there. i think the European cars use a higher weight oil for a reason, its better for protection, especially constant high speed driving

Both the vehicles in my sig have been fed a diet of exclusive xW20 oils, 5W for the first couple years them 0W for the rest. Each has over 200k, the CRV closing in on 265K and will be run until probably 350K until I replace it. Each of them drive and operate as responsively and spirited as though they are new-I can’t believe the xW20 is really hurting anything as far as the motors are concerned.

A friend of a friend has a 2010 Prius that was well beyond 200k a year ago, with no issues. He has the TGMO 0W-20 changed at 5k intervals by the dealer. I've met the car myself, briefly.

For those who are using 0-20, how about if they chime in as they hit the different mile stones such as every 100 K miles. I'll be happy to do that with my Ford that uses 5-20. Goes for everyone. Also I want to hear from the 40 weight guys with 500 K.
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: Poohbah
I still use 0W/20 in my Element. May up it to 0W/30 eventually.

I'm not sure yet what's going next in my car, either GC 0w-30, or GC 0-40. One thing I ?ime about these 0/40, it's also rated for small diesel engine, theirs more detergent in it, higher evels of zddp.

Google for yourself what others in the world are using in Honda k24z2, most use GC 0/30 0/40 or 5/40. All within Honda spec, over seas. Same engine, don't give me [censored] about climate. We can have the same climate anywhere in the us, FL is hot as [censored] in the summer and the hummidy and dry hot deserts. Someone else stated 0/20 is all about CAFE. I agree 100%

I also prefer ACEA specs vs API

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
For those who are using 0-20, how about if they chime in as they hit the different mile stones such as every 100 K miles. I'll be happy to do that with my Ford that uses 5-20. Goes for everyone. Also I want to hear from the 40 weight guys with 500 K.
banana2.gif

I have 0/20 now. It's due to come out in about 3k miles. About spring time. The Accord just turned 118k. Don't know anything before 76k, that's what it had on it when I bought it. Next oc,changing weights to see how it changes things. Probably going to GC 0/40. I was reading about this engine and what overseas guys use, some said the engine ran different, not better nor worse. VTEC kicked in differently,

I remember in high school when split fire plugs came out, my shop teacher said he used on in his race kart, said the same thing, ran different not better or worse. But said the power band felt different

Heavy oil, would give you more protection, especially for myself which I'm high in the rpms,. Lots of twisty roads, and high speed freeway driving. The Accord is pretty fun with a 5sp, rpms at 80 is 3k, I believe the auto is around 2500, at 80. 99% of my freeway driving is at 80-90

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
banana2.gif

Around 130k I switched my vehicles from 0W20 to a high mileage 0W20 that goes by the name of "5W30".

grin.gif

The wife's 2012 3.5 Highlander has just over 100,000 miles on it running Mobil1 0W-20 with 10,000 OCI's. Great engine.

While not technically 0w-20 oil, my 2010 Fusion got fed a steady diet of MC 5w20 oil from when it was sold new in late 2009 through 2014 - through about 180,000 miles. Here in Phoenix, 0w20 and 5w20 may as well be the same thing, since we almost never see weather under 32F.

I now run whatever I have on hand, which has meant anywhere from straight 5w20 to straight 10w40. She gets the straight 5w20 about half the time, and she'll be hitting 250,000 miles in about a week.

Yes, I know it's not the same thing, but certainly close enough, and honestly, I haven't really noticed any measurable or detectable difference between running the 5w20 and the 10w40. At operating temps (~200 F coolant and whatever that equates to in terms of lubricated surfaces temperatures), the oil is pretty thin, no matter the weight.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Here's what Shell Australia says to use for my car. K24Z3 Accord.

Exactly, and UK I found guys love the GC 0/40 and the GC 0/30. On mobile UK they say 0 40 Shows me the 0/20 is all about government wants.

I would suggest you go with the xw40 then, there is nothing wrong with that choice. But stop insinuating to others how their decision to use xw20 is a poor one (in numerous threads). What ever the reason 0w20/5w20 is recommended, it has worked just fine for millions.

Originally Posted By: wemay
I would suggest you go with the xw40 then, there is nothing wrong with that choice. But stop insinuating to others how their decision to use xw20 is a poor one (in numerous threads). What ever the reason 0w20/5w20 is recommended, it has worked just fine for millions.

Agreed. OP should just dump some 0W40 in the car and start speaking with a British accent so all will be well in the world.

Here's what Shell Australia says to use for my car. K24Z3 Accord.

Exactly, and UK I found guys love the GC 0/40 and the GC 0/30. On mobile UK they say 0 40 Shows me the 0/20 is all about government wants.

Based upon what objective evidence that indicates that outcomes in the U.K., Malaysia, Australia or elsewhere are better???

Or else your gut is making you stir the pot with no basis of commentary.

Originally Posted By: wemay

Exactly. Thanks wemay for stating this.

I've searched here and Google for uoa' s on Accords using various oils and the 20wt ones always show the least amount of wear metals,always in the single digits. On 30wt+ the wear metals always went up (on the models spec'd for 20wt's).

I've searched here and Google for uoa' s on Accords using various oils and the 20wt ones always show the least amount of wear metals,always in the single digits. On 30wt+ the wear metals always went up (on the models spec'd for 20wt's).

The one thing a uoa doesn't tell you is how the person drives and operates the vehicle. Or the complete history of the car unless you do one every oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back