What is the IPA in the Seafoam MSDS ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it Isophthalic Acid or Isoproply Alchool??? If it is Isophthalic Acid what type of cleaning properties does it have. Can it react with the base oil to form esters in the crankcase with heat and partial vacum???
getdown.gif

You see I dought it is is alchol even though for years that was what I was told is in it. Isophthalic Acid makes much more sense from a cleaning standpoint. One gentelman that posted a lot of information about Seafoam always lists Isophthalic Acid when he is listing ingredients. I am familar with Crysilic(sp) acid and it's use in cleaning furnaces and itis also used in engnie cleaning products and fuel cleaners like Nutrea 131.

Industry speak for me anyway is IPA = Iso Propyl Alcohol.
bye the way as I remeber seafoam is IPA a kerosene cut and some ether I think.
bruce

What purpose would Iso Proply play in an engine cleaner? I am thinking that it would only clean ester based stuff out of the engine??? I am think it is not strong enough to touch varnish or sludge is it?

P.S. It sure works great to get chicken grease from KFC off your skin though!!

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
What purpose would Iso Proply play in an engine cleaner? I am thinking that it would only clean ester based stuff out of the engine??? I am think it is not strong enough to touch varnish or sludge is it?

Alcohols are a fairly strong polar solvent.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
So what is in seafoam that does anything?

The naptha and rubbing alcohol are fairly strong solvents. The pale oil gives some lubricating properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back