Denso 105-1009 cut open 5,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I've seen one of these autopsies on here before, but I'll put my pics up also. I know how BITOG's love to look at cut open filters
blush.gif

This came off my 2010 Frontier with 52,000 miles on it at the OCI. It burns no oil and I'm running QSUD 5W-30.

I picked up a bunch of these a while back from Rock Auto. They were in the same warehouse as my brake pads, so I figured I'd try them. They are built like little tanks. Nice and heavy and thick!

* sorry for the not so great cell phone pics. Also, my cell died while I was taking pics.

imag0011xt.jpg

imag0013ad.jpg

imag0014zr.jpg

A new one
imag0012mp.jpg

looks good. Ive always wanted to try out the ones that fit my Acura. Its soo much easier to use an online code and get Purolator P1 at AAP though :-\

Great looking filter! I've been using the 150-1010 almost exclusively in my Nissan. I've cut a couple open after 6K and they always looked excellent. I had posted pictures in this thread but changed providers and the picture links are no longer valid. Maybe I should re-upload them to my Photobucket account and repost?

I find it fascinating that Denso, who make the OEM filters for Toyota, have no listing for my sister's RAV4 nor my B-I-L's Corolla, but they DO have a listing for my Mercury Marauder...

Originally Posted By: steve20
looks fine----is there any data published on efficiency rating?

DENSO's Technical Services Department told me the 150-1010 has a 98% efficiency rating at 40 microns. The methods implemented were in accordance with JIS and SAE (J 1858) standards.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
I find it fascinating that Denso, who make the OEM filters for Toyota, have no listing for my sister's RAV4 nor my B-I-L's Corolla, but they DO have a listing for my Mercury Marauder...

I looked up the 4967 filter but there were no pictures of it.
Are there any oil filters out there that are larger than the 4967 and can be used in its place? Would it be safe to use "said" filter on the 1.8 Toyota engine?

These are excellent filters for the price.

I too, used these which I found at Rockauto on my '01 Nissan pickup. Best build quality I've ever found for the price.

Originally Posted By: barlowc

DENSO's Technical Services Department told me the 150-1010 has a 98% efficiency rating at 40 microns. The methods implemented were in accordance with JIS and SAE (J 1858) standards.

That efficiency is certainly nothing to write home about... so I guess in this case, beauty is only skin deep. Too bad, it's a nicely made filter. What's the retail cost?

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Originally Posted By: barlowc

That efficiency is certainly nothing to write home about... so I guess in this case, beauty is only skin deep. Too bad, it's a nicely made filter. What's the retail cost?

Not sure how that test efficiency (per SAE J1858) correlates to the standard one used today: ISO 4548-12.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Zikes, 98% at 40 microns equates to pretty much awful at 20 microns.
shocked.gif

Basically the same as a Purolator Classic L14610 in terms of efficiency.

Never seen any correlation, but 98% @ 40 microns might equate to 90~93% @ 20 microns, or something like that - just a guess. Hard to say without some real test data.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Basically the same as a Purolator Classic L14610 in terms of efficiency.

Yeah, I was going to say, keep in mind the that 150-1009 and 150-1010 cross-ref to the PL14610 which is also rated at 40 microns, versus other P1 filters that are rated at 20.

While the DENSO filtering efficiency isn't anything to write home about, I take it with a grain of salt and apply my real-life experience with them. They done a fine job for me and have been in the mix when I got great UOAs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back