Honda D16 - Does this need cleaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Acquired this car about half a year ago.
It had 124000km on it, but the first owner also drove it quite sparingly over the 14 years that he owned it. His work place is also quite close to his house so it's relatively short trips.

Started to read up more on BITOG and understanding the differences in oil. Before going on a 1600km road trip, I did oil change with PYB 5W30 and Quaker State filter at 125000km.

After that, it's been driven on a very very short trip basis and I often checked on the oil condition. I dropped Gumout Regane HM in around 127000km and by 127500km, the oil was quite dirty and noticed condensation inside the oil cap due to winter + short trip. I decided to do another oil change with PYB, but larger 14559 Purolator Classic hoping to get the engine a little cleaner and protected.

I took a photo from the oil cap hole(never removed valve cover before) and wanted some opinion.

I can't find Kreen up here, but recently noticed MMO is available at Walmart. Not sure if AutoRX+ is here or not, but basically the choices aren't that great. Should I leave it based on the current condition through this sneak peak or dump MMO in the next OCI. I am thinking of changing oil again at 130k with the last bit of PYB that I have and then move on to syn.

20130315_230013_1.jpg

Last edited:
It does not look that bad. How about trying MMO since you can get it anyway locally? I don't know how much MMO sells for in Canada but I can get MMO at my local Wal-Mart for $5.00. A pretty cheap experiment. If it does not do anything what have you lost?

Another option is Lubegard or Amsoil Engine Flush, but reduce the dosage to 1 oz per 2 quarts of oil, if the sump is 4 quarts then use 2 oz, drive the car normally 400-500 km with current oil then change oil and filter. One bottle of Engine Flush with reduce dosage can be used in 5-7 OCI.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
It does not look that bad. How about trying MMO since you can get it anyway locally? I don't know how much MMO sells for in Canada but I can get MMO at my local Wal-Mart for $5.00. A pretty cheap experiment. If it does not do anything what have you lost?

It's about $9.80 here for 1QT. Definitely not as good deal.
Hence I will need to stock up on techron and gumout when I go some cross border shopping.

According to the instruction, I am to take the total oil capacity and minus 1QT for MMO. This engine has a 3.5QT capacity so MMO will comprise of almost 1/3. Will MMO thin out the oil too much to cause oil consumption?

Originally Posted By: volk06
PP 5k oci.

This. Or Rotella T6 5w40. PP has produced visible cleaning in my engine ( varnish around the filler hole ). Most noticeable change was after a 1500 mile road trip.

Try a few OCI's with Pennzoil Platinum and see what happens, it should do some cleaning.

I would not be looking at any oil additives at this time.

Originally Posted By: wing0

According to the instruction, I am to take the total oil capacity and minus 1QT for MMO. This engine has a 3.5QT capacity so MMO will comprise of almost 1/3. Will MMO thin out the oil too much to cause oil consumption?

1 quart of MMO would be too much for such a small sump capacity. You never want to exceed 25% MMO in your mix. If you want to try an additive I'd start with using 16 oz. MMO.

try PP (Pennzoil Platinum) for a couple of OCI first, and keep it there for at least 5k ~7k.

Also: replace your PCV valve with a fresh new one before you begin your regimen.

Good luck.

Q.

p.s. I typically do not recommend the use of HM oil (due to seal swellers) unless your engine has leaks or burning oil.

Just an update to this.

I've been doing PYB 5W-30 at 3000km OCI with new filter(purolator classic, cheap anyways).

I'm up to around 2500km driving since last OC and just dumped in 6oz of mmo. The oil capacity is only 3.5QT so I wanted to keep mmo ratio down in case it cleans too well.

Should I add another 2oz to make it to 8oz? I am planning to do another oil change in about 500-800km of driving before winter comes.

Just an update to this.

I've been doing PYB 5W-30 at 3000km OCI with new filter(purolator classic, cheap anyways).

I'm up to around 2500km driving since last OC and just dumped in 6oz of mmo. The oil capacity is only 3.5QT so I wanted to keep mmo ratio down in case it cleans too well.

Should I add another 2oz to make it to 8oz? I am planning to do another oil change in about 500-800km of driving before winter comes.

I replace 20% of the oil in the sump with MMO. Winter would be the perfect time to do the cleaning. Run it the entire OCI, just keep an eye on the oil level.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Just an update to this.

I replace 20% of the oil in the sump with MMO. Winter would be the perfect time to do the cleaning. Run it the entire OCI, just keep an eye on the oil level.

Yes, I am planning to do some more MMO cleaning in the next OC, but currently, my oil is no longer fresh so I thought just to do a pre-cleaning phase before I replace a larger portion of the sump with MMO in the winter.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Just an update to this.

Yes, I am planning to do some more MMO cleaning in the next OC, but currently, my oil is no longer fresh so I thought just to do a pre-cleaning phase before I replace a larger portion of the sump with MMO in the winter.

Sounds good, I'd go with 12 ounces if possible. 8 ounces isn't much even in a 3.5 qt sump. Just don't overfill it.

The reason I didn't add all 8oz in was because I wasn't sure what would happen.

I also feel a bit uneasy to put a higher dose in the sump without seeing its effect before the next OCI.

Would MMO cause any seal problem down the road if used in prolong period?

The reason I didn't add all 8oz in was because I wasn't sure what would happen.

I also feel a bit uneasy to put a higher dose in the sump without seeing its effect before the next OCI.

Would MMO cause any seal problem down the road if used in prolong period?

There's lots of info in the additive section about MMO. In my almost 4 decades of using it I've had only positive results, and no damage or harm has been done to seals, gaskets, or my engines. Now if sludge is creating a false seal you might get a leak, if that happens use a high mile oil for an interval or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back