Installing a new oil filter "dry"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just changed the oil on my 2012 F150 5.0. Since the oil filter mounts horizontally, I didn't fill it with oil since I figured it would spill out. Is it bad for the engine of this is done? Thanks for any replies.

Don't worry about it. When I have a vertically mounted filter, I've filled it. Most of my applications in the past number of years have been horizontally mounted. If the manufacturers thought it was a terrible liability to engine life, I suspect they wouldn't do it. I don't worry about it, in any case.

It has been done millions of times to millions of cars w/o issue. What some people do in your situation is remove the fuse to the fuel pump and crank the engine over. Holding the gas pedal to the floor also disables the fuel pump and will allow the engine to crank w/o starting, which will also prime the oil filter. I wouldn't worry about it.

the poster who said 90% would be installed dry is right.

Is there benefit in the rise time to get to pressure by refilling? Likely so. Does it matter in normal service? Not sure.

We have had a lot of different cars that have had horizontal filters. It has never been an issue. Ive alwas just filled it to 50-75%, then turned it around and around, and it all wicks into the media, which is really what you want. No need for it to actually be "full" from there...

I also have a 2012 F150 5.0L. I pre-fill mine. Let the filter sit for a bit and it gets soaked in. Better than dry, IMO, but I think it's more in our heads than anything else.

Also, how's your tranny? It seems I have the unlocking/locking torque converter thing that happens under light throttle between 30-40MPH. It unlocks and then locks quick as you accelerate (online, it's known as the shudder). I found quite a few topics on various forums where Eco-boost/5.0L/6.2L F150's with the 6speed have this issue.

Zaedock, I don't seem to have that issue with the tranny, but I don't like how it stays in 6th when I coast down to about 45 mph. When the warranty expires, I plan on getting custom tunes to fix that.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

We have had a lot of different cars that have had horizontal filters. It has never been an issue. Ive alwas just filled it to 50-75%, then turned it around and around, and it all wicks into the media, which is really what you want. No need for it to acually be "full" from there...

+1,
Doing that, my pressure comes up almost instantaneously, just like a prefilled filter. I think the saturated media is sufficient.

There should be enough an oil film thickness left on the internal engine parts to tide the engine over until the oil flow gets to everything. But if you've got 5W-20 in there, you're gonna be running metal on metal until the oil gets there.

Originally Posted By: thinbluelinetx
Zaedock, I don't seem to have that issue with the tranny, but I don't like how it stays in 6th when I coast down to about 45 mph. When the warranty expires, I plan on getting custom tunes to fix that.

Mine has done it since day 1, and while not too much of a pain, it's there nonetheless. I've also noticed that sometimes when you accelerate, there is a little bit of a delay before it goes. My '03 5.4L went when you mashed it (last year for the cable). Drive by wire progress, I guess.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
It has been done billions of times to millions of cars w/o issue. What some people do in your situation is remove the fuse to the fuel pump and crank the engine over. Holding the gas pedal to the floor also disables the fuel pump and will allow the engine to crank w/o starting, which will also prime the oil filter. I wouldn't worry about it.

Fixed it for you.
beer3.gif

I never pre-filled oil filter when I change oil for my LS400, or have my mechanic change oil. The car is almost 300k miles and no sign of engine problem related oil, actually no engine problem what-so-ever.

Unless you let the media soak for a good 20 minutes there is virtually no difference to dry starting a new filter vs filling it up with oil.

A split second longer to build oil pressure, but the bearings and valvetrain are still lubricated even without oil pressure for that split second.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
It has been done billions of times to millions of cars w/o issue. What some people do in your situation is remove the fuse to the fuel pump and crank the engine over. Holding the gas pedal to the floor also disables the fuel pump and will allow the engine to crank w/o starting, which will also prime the oil filter. I wouldn't worry about it.

Fixed it for you.
beer3.gif

I never pre-filled oil filter when I change oil for my LS400, or have my mechanic change oil. The car is almost 300k miles and no sign of engine problem related oil, actually no engine problem what-so-ever.

Thanks! There is enough residual oil to protect the engine until the filter fills up. Having said that I still pre-fill mine because I can.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
I pre-fill mine. Let the filter sit for a bit and it gets soaked in. Better than dry, IMO,

This has always been my proceedure; the oil pressure comes up instantly.

One of the main reasons for the mfgr recommending a HOT engine oil change is exactly this.

They want the engine lubed up good for the inevitable dry start.

I only have one motor in my stable with a non vertical filter. I still pre fill it as much as I can. Just makes me feel better!

I used to pre-fill all of my filters, horizantal and vertical, just less in the horizantal ones. There has also been talk here regarding that small bit of oil not being filtered. I tried doing it dry and the oil light does not stay on any longer than a normal start. Both of my Pontiac's oil lights are still on with one other light a second or two after start anyway. I also can't prefill the cartridge in the G5.

If it was really a big deal there would be a procedure outlined in the owners manual.

Warranty claims would eat the mfgrs alive if a dry filter caused any real issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back