Installing a new oil filter "dry"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Eddie
Agreed that 90+% of filters are installed dry. Only us paranoid types pre-fill. :)

It's true. My brother asked me once what I was doing pouring oil in the filter.

...and I thought HE was nuts for asking. LOL

I used to leave it dry, but on my last car I didn't like the distinct smell it would emit for the first few seconds after the first start. So I got into the habit of disconnecting the ignition and cranking until it builds oil pressure. That was on a car that had the filter horizontal and difficult to reach, so prefilling was futile.
Currently I do both, partially prefill and then prime it up to pressure. I know this isn't "required" I feel better about it that way.
I've heard of just holding the throttle open to put it in clear-flood mode, but that seems like a risky way of going about it. If the engine does start, it could launch up to a dry 4 grand before you react.

I've seen a definite difference in the time to build pressure when an engine is started dry vs a prefilled filter. It bothers me to watch a flatlined gauge during that time with the engine running. But I know most cars go through that every oil change and it's not really a big deal.

Originally Posted By: armos
I used to leave it dry, but on my last car I didn't like the distinct smell it would emit for the first few seconds after the first start.

???
21.gif
Smell?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
There should be enough an oil film thickness left on the internal engine parts to tide the engine over until the oil flow gets to everything. But if you've got 5W-20 in there, you're gonna be running metal on metal until the oil gets there.

Because 5w20 doesn't have good enough film strength? That's a new one to me. Any good oil should have enough film strength to not be full metal on metal shouldn't it? I'm not seeing why a 5w20 would not do as well of job on the "dry" start as a 5w30 or higher viscosity would.

I always pre-fill my filters. Sure, it may not make any real difference, but it certainly can't hurt. You can pre-fill horizontally mounted filters, just fill them up about halfway. I've done this tons of times without spilling a drop.

Originally Posted By: msmoke00
There should be enough an oil film thickness left on the internal engine parts to tide the engine over until the oil flow gets to everything. But if you've got 5W-20 in there, you're gonna be running metal on metal until the oil gets there.

Because 5w20 doesn't have good enough film strength? That's a new one to me. Any good oil should have enough film strength to not be full metal on metal shouldn't it? I'm not seeing why a 5w20 would not do as well of job on the "dry" start as a 5w30 or higher viscosity would.

lol.gif
I feel really bad for those 0W20 guys.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
I used to leave it dry, but on my last car I didn't like the distinct smell it would emit for the first few seconds after the first start.

???
21.gif
Smell?

metallic burning smell. Not reassuring.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
the poster who said 90% would be installed dry is right.

Is there benefit in the rise time to get to pressure by refilling? Likely so. Does it matter in normal service? Not sure.

We have had a lot of different cars that have had horizontal filters. It has never been an issue. Ive alwas just filled it to 50-75%, then turned it around and around, and it all wicks into the media, which is really what you want. No need for it to actually be "full" from there...

That is exactly what I do! Works for me.

WHA......? You dont really believe that do you?

Originally Posted By: lexus114

WHA......? You dont really believe that do you?

Dude, it's Merkava. He's known for a bit of sarcasm to lighten up a thread.

Some cars I've owned had a vertically-mounted filter; some horizontal. My '89 Camry had an angled filter
crazy.gif
But in all of those cars, I have never pre-filled an oil filter with oil, and I have never had any issues. Just lube the gasket up, don't overtighten, and sleep easy.

Why people worry about the small amount of oil in the filter? With an oil change, your car is likely already warm so there is oil all over the engine and much of that oil is replaced with fresh oil. Your engine is already lubricated and it takes less than a second for the oil pump to fill the filter up. By the way, I always saturated my filter and lube the rubber ring withe fresh oil. One time I didn't recall whether or not I replaced the filter so I took the filter out to check if it was new or used. To my surprised, the filter was more than half full fro being installed on the car for 15 minutes. Of course, it wouldn't happen if your filter is mounted top down though. Last but not least, I love the location of my Accord's filter, I can reach it by turning the wheel all the way to the opposite side. The 92 Corolla's filter is much harder to get to and the worst I dealt with is the 1994 626.

On the cars I've done dry and seen done by others, a dry filter takes multiple seconds to build pressure, not less than 1. But I agree that most people do it dry and it doesn't cause any noticeable issue for them.

On the cars I've done dry and seen done by others, a dry filter takes multiple seconds to build pressure, not less than 1. But I agree that most people do it dry and it doesn't cause any noticeable issue for them.

The only vehicle I own that has oil pressure gauge is my Bronco. I only changed oil once in it and don't remember how long it actually took to get proper oil pressure but i did saturated the media as it is possible to so with this vehicle. I do know that I leave the key in Accessary position to make sure I have good voltage now before starting. A thing to note is that vehicles with oil pressure gauge tend to have large filter so it is possible to take more than a second to get up in pressure but I wonder if anyone ever done comparison between dry and saturated filter oil pressure comparison. What I go by is the fact that fresh oil is placed in a properly lubed and warmed vehicle so no oil starvation is possible. The real damage is from letting the car sits for awhile like my Bronco and start it only once a month or longer.

Don't bother filling it if you are performing a typical oil change. There is enough oil on the bearings to provide 100% lubrication for quite some time.

For example, the Lycoming aircraft engines in stunt planes can fly "knife edge" for 1.5 minutes at full power, with ZERO oil pressure. And, this is 100% approved! The bearings are no different, they are not special, and they are very highly loaded.

Hi,
I work for FRAM, lets get that out of the way. That said, been a shop owning ASE master tech for 33 years. Do I fill my filters before installing? Yes on my own cars. Just me. All OE's say this is not needed on any vehicle that has had oil in it. The filter fills super fast so if you do not do this, you can rest easy. I have seen many vehicles in my shop with 300,000 plus miles that have never had the filter pre-filled. We have also seen some metric motorcycles that loose oil pump prime when the oil filter is pre-filled, not on any cars though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back