Redline SI-2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone heard of this product? Redline recommended it to me in a response to an e-mail I sent about info on their SI-1 fuel cleaner. They claim that BMW specifically studied it in connection with intake valvue deposits.

At the risk of making the message too long here is the e-mail and Redline's response:

------------------------------------------------
The SI-1 has not been submitted specifically to BMW for approval,
though it would be suitable for use. The SI-2 is a less concentrated
version available in 4 ounce bottles and is recognized by BMW as
being equivalent to BMW Part # 88 88 6 900 307.

BMW EVALUATION OF RED LINE SI-2 from the tech report.
Because of the significant driveability problems BMW
encountered with intake valve deposits, they investigated
fuel properties and many different additives to
help control these deposits. They found very little correlation
between deposits and fuel properties. The
only way to insure freedom from intake valve deposits
was to use additives designed to control these deposits.
Red Line SI-2 was evaluated in this program and
was shown to not only have excellent intake valve de-posit
control properties, but controlled engine tests
showed SI-2 to be free from harmful side-effects. The
parameters measured were engine sludge, ring
groove coking, piston ring, cam and bearing wear, as
well as oil thickening (BMW Report # EA-4 358/88).
The SI-2 when compared against untreated gasoline in
BMW's 730i 100 hour engine test. Deposit formation
was reduced by 94% compared to the base fuel.

The best application of the SI-1 would be a full bottle initially to
20 of fuel, then a maintenance dose of about 1.5 ounces to every 10
gallons of fuel there after. This is more effective than using a full
bottle every 5000 miles as deposits can build up on injectors in
between treatments, the cleaning of intake valves and combustion
chambers take a number of applications to completely remove, a strong
does doesn't fully clean them.

I am not aware of an specific published test data relating to any
effects on engine oil. We state that the combustion by-products do
not cause corrosion of engine bearings as can many fuel additives.

Regards, Dave
Red Line Oil
------------------------------------------------

Still can't find info on the part number or the study.

Used the Redline S1 for many year and learned of Fuel Power which will do just the same and more. Cost wise, the FP is a lot cheaper and does things to the fuel to make your engine a lot cleaner. I am completely sold on Lube Control and Fuel Power as I've tried it on diesel cushmans, 4 cycle engines, and Kholer engines. It just makes things run smoother and it CLEANS everything out. The diesal oil looks clear and stays clear a lot longer and can be run at a higher RMP which it would shake a bit without LC/FP. When I see a product that does what it does, it's doing it's job and more...won't go back to Redline or any other product until something can be proven more effective. GREAT STUFF....Highly RECCOMMEND IT!!!

I'd love to use FP too, but in our neck of the woods its not available. So instead I am using SI-1 as a maintainence additive.

I have used Redline Injector cleaner for years and it is very good stuff. You can get the big bottle of the injector cleaner at Pep Boys.

Just picked up 2 bottles of SI-1. The fuel power sounds good, but at this stage I'd rather go with a product that has been extensively tested and tested by BMW. I also like the fact that I can buy it retail just down the block.

quote:

Originally posted by Mamala Bay:
Used the Redline S1 for many year and learned of Fuel Power which will do just the same and more. Cost wise, the FP is a lot cheaper and does things to the fuel to make your engine a lot cleaner.

I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. Redline SI-1 is 5 dollars, it'll treat up to 100 gallons of fuel.

Fuel Power will treat up to 600 gallons of fuel for 25.50+shipping.

600 gallons of fuel treated will cost you 30 dollars with Red-Line, and probably about the same for FP after shipping (maybe more, maybe a little less)

In the end, the price pans out, and the availability of SI-1 makes it a plus.

If you take into consideration the increase in MPG which some owners have stated then cost savings will be seen especially with the high cost of fuel. Also because of the effect of FP, one can go down an octane which would result in cost savings. There are variables in what results FP produces and I am very impressed by FP and see as a LONG term cost saving product with the high price of gasoline we pay today.

With cost savings and performance dollar wise FP does more and has far more postive effects on engine performance than Redline SI,,,just an opinion. I've used both products and many who have tried it will state the MPG savings and torgue the engine responds to which Redline SI can not match. The Benefits FP produces is very IMPRESSIVE...

quote:

Originally posted by Mamala Bay:
If you take into consideration the increase in MPG which some owners have stated then cost savings will be seen especially with the high cost of fuel. Also because of the effect of FP, one can go down an octane which would result in cost savings. There are variables in what results FP produces and I am very impressed by FP and see as a LONG term cost saving product with the high price of gasoline we pay today.

Well that's fine and dandy if you expect a dilution of FP+Lower Octane gas to be appropriate for your application.

People have (and still are) noting milage increases using SI-1, including myself.

My car is chipped, and requires the highest octane I can buy at the pump, so I personally wouldn't risk going down a grade and adding a octane booster or fuel power in hopes of saving pennies.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to try FP. But, 25.50+ shipping and they don't even give you a measuring container? I'm not going to hunt down a container that can safely be used with these chemicals.

Redline is very good as I haved used it and IT'S available for comsumers to purchase without the hassle of mail ordering LC/FP. It performs well and DOES save in MPG and will perform as stated what Redlines labels. If I didn't use Fuel Power I would use the Redline SI as it is an EXCELLENT product and as Mindflux has stated it's easier to purchase because of it's availibilty. They are both excellent products as I have learned that slow and long term cleaning in the fuel system will bring optimal performance for your vehicle.

Does SI-1 contain an effective UCL? How would it compare to Lucas?

I currently use lucas and the bottle is almost finished. Im thinkin about switchin to SI-1 in mantainance dosage but will it effectively be a UCL still?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back