Delvac 1 ESP used in a Subaru EJ255 petrol motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: squareznboxez
oh i see, thanks for that - if you don't mind me asking - pardon my ignorance

- ACEA A3 - what exactly is this standard and should i be looking at oils that carry this? as my current D1 or mobil 1 5w-30 alternative do not carry this

- how many kms/miles do you have on your XT?

It's a European requirement and it means the oil has a High Temp High Shear of 3.5 or higher. Most 30 weights here do not have it unless the oil meets Euro specs. The D1 doesn't have it, but it will have an HTHS of 3.5 or higher. I have just over 123,000 miles.

-Dennis

awesome thanks for that Dennis, seriously been able to nerd out so much on this site - definately one of the more informed forums i've been on

i plan to run the delvac 1 till the 5gal barrel is finished with an UOA at the end of the 3rd/4th fill

some options i will be considering following this barrel;

- 4 fills of Shell Rotella T6 5w-40
- 4 fills of Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w-40
- 4 fills of Motul 300V Chrono 10w-40

will hopefully return the favor back to the forum with some UOAs at the end of each run

very true, however i was able to pick up a fair bit of this oil due to it being discontinued in one of our local auto stores here - i do hope to ultimately stick with the delvac 1 but will have an UOA performed before making any decisions

- ACEA A3 - what exactly is this standard and should i be looking at oils that carry this? as my current D1 or mobil 1 5w-30 alternative do not carry this

As bluesubie mentioned, that specification includes the HTHS of 3.5 and up (and probably a couple other things - check the Lubrizol site for more information on what it all requires). You'll get 3.5 and up on any 40 grade I can think of. "Normal" API/ILSAC Mobil 1 won't make it, but the European Mobil formulations probably would (check the labelling). For 30 grades that meet it, you would need something European like GC or, alternatively, a 30 grade HDEO (they all tend to have an HTHS of 3.5 and higher). The Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 is a rather stout oil, and should be primarily Group IV, for what it's worth.

very true, however i was able to pick up a fair bit of this oil due to it being discontinued in one of our local auto stores here - i do hope to ultimately stick with the delvac 1 but will have an UOA performed before making any decisions

Mix a quart of the Motul with each OCI maybe you can get a brew with similar performance characteristics of Castrol magnatec at startup?

cheers for the input/suggestions fellas - Garak - i was told by my supplier that Delvac 1 is a group IV using a PAO base

i think the 40w seems just as suitable as we do get some pretty hot summers here in Sydney (94-105F)

would there be any advantages of switching down to a ACEA A3 Xw-30 weight? i understand quite a few 4cyl engines call for a 30w over a 40w

dave - mixing is something i might consider down the track - however i'd like to think there is the right oil out there without having to blend - we'll have to see how the UOA goes

just for reference how much does a UOA cost over there?

thanks again

no kidding - ill be inquiring with some local oil places today to see if they sing the same tune - that's shockingly cheap

In your situation I would contact Doug Hillary on what lab he prefers to use and what cost. I have seen some Australian companies advertising UOA's from $35-$45. I have also seen some UOA's preformed down there from Castrol but the cost was equal to the cost of a single oil change. I know how much Australian's pay for a liter of motor oil. That is a steep price difference.

the prices i have been getting back are in the vicinity you've mentioned - Castrol was the first to get back to me with good info with $29 it seems to be one of the cheaper options

would i be right in assuming that sending a sampel from the first fill of delvac might give back unusual readings? will sending a sample from the 3rd/4th give me more reliable feedback?

yeh things seem to be a fair bit dearer over here - especially oil

Rotalla T6 can be had for about $45 and Delvac 1 is around $80/5L or $240/5gal

Last edited:
Ouch. Check with a local Caltex distributor there was a member on here that was able to get 15W40 DELO for quite a bit less than what you quoted for T6 or Delvac.

the dino delvac 15w-40 is very popular among subaru owners over in Aus - over standard petrol oils. that said we don't experience sub-zero degree weather for the most part.

on another note - i was able to source over 10 UOAs on Rotella T6- all with glowing reports for subaru engines

am i missing something here - i understand PAO base isn't always better than Dino oils but could it be that the Rotella T6 could be a better lubricant/additive package?

i understand Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 could be less common over in the states - could that be why?

the dino delvac 15w-40 is very popular among subaru owners over in Aus - over standard petrol oils. that said we don't experience sub-zero degree weather for the most part.

on another note - i was able to source over 10 UOAs on Rotella T6- all with glowing reports for subaru engines

am i missing something here - i understand PAO base isn't always better than Dino oils but could it be that the Rotella T6 could be a better lubricant/additive package?

i understand Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 could be less common over in the states - could that be why?

You're stressing out way too much on this.
grin.gif

The reasons that you'll find so many uoa's on RT6 for Subaru engines in N. America is bang for the buck, it's a robust oil, and it's available everywhere. We do not have Delvac here, but we do have Mobil1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40. Of course, our oil prices are much cheaper than yours but I think most people would go for RT6 if it's $5 cheaper. IIRC, RT6 is thinner at all temps than TDT so it's better for cold starts. People give Mobil1 a bad rap because the regular 5W-30 shears in some applications and they think Mobil1 only has one viscosity.

15W-40 is a bit more common as a break-in oil on a built engine, but more people prefer synthetic 5W-40 for year round use.

-Dennis

thanks for that Dennis - yeh i've been a bit of a stress head about it. i used to think money bought quality - and to an extent it does but i've been able to get a great deal out of this forum since joining.

i bought the car without any real subaru knowledge - its been serviced at subaru @ standard ocis until about 90,000kms so i think there's not too much than can go wrong wear/oil choice wise up till when i bought it at 127,000kms

you guys have been tops with my simpleton questions - will keep you all updated with my UOAs hopefully in the near future

the dino delvac 15w-40 is very popular among subaru owners over in Aus - over standard petrol oils. that said we don't experience sub-zero degree weather for the most part

That's because someone recommends it to someone else and before you know it, it has gone viral and it's the must have item. I bet all the subaru owners above are getting their info reading the net.

A frind of mine had an early WRX for 10 years, clocked up 200,000km using nothing but the Castrol 15w40 the dealership used. And it saw quite a bit of track time too.

I would be more inclined to go with a top quality synthetic petrol oil if you want something "better".

These engines do have a bad rap for dropping a big end but IMO it has nothing to do with the oil but the fuel used. Ive lost count of how many mum and dad family wagons that have dropped dead running around on 91

yeh definitely i think other things will cause headaches before the oil

so as far as i know the car has has been fed 98 octane for its entire life

i will be looking at trying Motul 300v after i get through this 5gal barrel of delvac 1 and see if there are any conceivable differences

It's more available in North America through distributors. Its PAO base and its less widespread distribution is reflected in its high price relative to the Rotella. The M1 Turbo Diesel Truck is the usual competitor to Rotella on normal retail shelves in North America.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back