2008 Vino 125cc scooter - Mobil1 20w-50

Status
Not open for further replies.
This scooter hasn't been used much the last couple years - this oil spent three years in the sump and only 2000 miles. They commented that it may still be breaking in, and I agree. It seems to run better all the time. This engine spends at least 90% of its time at WOT, which is about 50-58mph depending on wind and terrain. Of course, it thickened up just like M1 20w-50 usually does. The oil only lubricates the engine, no gearbox or anything else. I refilled with Schaeffers S9000 5w-50.

This is the first UOA, but the first oil change was 5w-40 M1 Turbo diesel truck, but it had a nasty lifter tick anytime it was over 85 degrees ambient, so I switched to M1 20w-50 which took care of the problem.

08vino.jpg

yeah, the 20w-50 v-twin, quart bottle from autozone. sump is one quart. Unit has no oil filter (just a screen)

i know this motor gets run hard.

alum is low if you had a clutch pack. do you?
chromium is hopefully scatter
iron is kind of high. if no gearbox where is it coming from?
copper is very high if no clutch pack to have a bushing...so where is it coming from? bearing cages?
lead is from where? or scatter too?
nickel is pretty high for just scatter...or is it that bad a reading? if not where is it from?
manganese better be scatter
silicon is pretty low. good!
flash is high. good!
insolubles is pretty low for no true filter. good!

lots of values there that are either un-explainable or scatter.
too many actually.

any kind of online manual of the motor break down i could look at?

we need to learn more about this motor to determine if the above readings are somewhat normal or not.

steve

The motor oil is lubricating nothing but a single cylinder chain driven overhead cam motor. It has an oil pump, but no clutches, no gears, nothing else whatsoever. The transmission is a belt and a dry centrifugal clutch and the final drive gears run in their own bath of gear oil.

ah so iron is probably the cam/crank gears for the cam chain.
copper could be in there as well. hard to say the metalurgy of those parts. same goes for nickel.

is it bucket on shim or rockearm sohc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back