Mobil1 0W40, 5000 OCI, Infiniti G37S VQ37VHR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of Mobil 1 0W40 UOAs look so good that I feel tempted to try it out, even in engines that call for thinner oil.. This may be an interesting HM oil for some engines.

EXCELLENT REPORT. I've eyeballed this oil as my summer oil for towing/severe service.

That's one of the best VQ reports I have seen. Get the TBN next time, you can probably run it farther. And stick with this oil year-round.

Originally Posted By: Zako2
Some of Mobil 1 0W40 UOAs look so good that I feel tempted to try it out, even in engines that call for thinner oil.. This may be an interesting HM oil for some engines.

Why do you say an interesting HM oil. Because it is a little thicker and a HM engine may have loosened up a bit?

Originally Posted By: Cooker
Originally Posted By: Zako2

Why do you say an interesting HM oil. Because it is a little thicker and a HM engine may have loosened up a bit?

It's not a very viscous 40wt, very low volatility. One of the best anti-wear packages in the world. Good candidate as a HM oil.

Last edited:
With the 0W-40 having a higher ZDDP content, is it still ok to run this oil in a vehicle with catalytic converters?

I believe that is why most oils, other than the Mobil-1 0W-40 European Formula, have very little to no ZDDP in them due to the possible issues they cause with the convertors?

Originally Posted By: irv
With the 0W-40 having a higher ZDDP content, is it still ok to run this oil in a vehicle with catalytic converters?

I believe that is why most oils, other than the Mobil-1 0W-40 European Formula, have very little to no ZDDP in them due to the possible issues they cause with the convertors?

They ALL have ZDDP in them, and it isn't "little to none", but rather just reduced from what it was years ago.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

They ALL have ZDDP in them, and it isn't "little to none", but rather just reduced from what it was years ago.

But is it not a fact that Mobil-1 0W-40 European Formula has the highest amount ZDDP in it?

If so, I assume it is still not at a level that would cause issues??
Just asking.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

But is it not a fact that Mobil-1 0W-40 European Formula has the highest amount ZDDP in it?

If so, I assume it is still not at a level that would cause issues??
Just asking.

40-weight oils aren't subject to the same limits as the energy conserving 20 and 30 weight oils for starters, but yes, it has higher levels of ZDDP as well as other additives than traditional PCMO's, but really not much if any higher than other oils that meet the same or similar spec's as it, such as PU 5w40, GC 0w30....etc.

It won't cause issue with catalytic converters.

No, not even close. Check out some Redline sometime, ZDDP numbers usually 1200-1500 ppm.

If you really want to see some astronomical ZDDP, check out some of the racing oils that have been posted in the virgin oil analysis section.

Originally Posted By: BrandonT
MilkMD what were the prior oils in that UOA? Why the short intervals on some?

Various ones.
In order from oldest to newest:
Dealer dino
M1 5W30
M1 0W30
Motul 300V 5W40
M1 0W40
M1 0W40

I had short OCI depending on driving conditions namely track days. I usually run new oil for each day or if the oil temp spikes.

The interesting thing about the Mobil 1 0w40 right now is that it's still using the high calcium/boron and moly where as all other Mobil 1 oils, including EP, are now low SAP and using much less metallic adds.

If you can get M1 0w40 at WM for $6.47, you are getting the best oil for the money you can buy IMO>

Originally Posted By: buster
The interesting thing about the Mobil 1 0w40 right now is that it's still using the high calcium/boron and moly where as all other Mobil 1 oils, including EP, are now low SAP and using much less metallic adds.

If you can get M1 0w40 at WM for $6.47, you are getting the best oil for the money you can buy IMO>

5W50 is still using the old philosophy, another OEM spec oil.

Originally Posted By: buster

Or at NAPA for $5.79 this month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back