2018 tuned/tracked Golf Sportwagen 95K/4K OCI HPL Euro 5W40

My main thing here is maintaining viscosity and it does it better than any of the others I've used with M1 0W40 being the worst...sure some fuel in there...has to be...but there is some shearing I would wager and the Star VIIs per Dave will help...and they apparently do!

I love this little wagon! Just got it track tech inspected for 2 more events at VIR in Nov/Dec so looking forward to more high-speed grocery getting!

View attachment 184272
Have you had it dyno’d?

Yeah, your trap doen't care about traction off the line but the ET certainly does. So 105 at your car's weight and you can plug that into an online calculator and figure what power you were actually making that day. ET is about traction, trap speed is about power. The MQB VWs are easy 11s and even 10s with the modded Golf Rs. GTIs which of course won't have good ETs are over 120mph trap for many of the popular setups. The wagon like mine can get into the mid-11s but I'd need to add MPI, a LPFP, and of course a new tune sticking with my current turbo (larger than stock OEM turbo off the Golf R).
Yep. I have a few guesses. First, is that the torque falls off sharply at the top end. At the dyno the torque can peak at 360lbft at like 3000 rpm. But the small factory TD03 turbo can't feed the motor enough at the top end. If I used a type r turbo like the TD04 then the torque would shift higher towards the 4000-4500 range and probably pull way harder at the top. So because I am making well over 300lbft at 1500-1800 rpm, I won't get great ET without tires, suspension, and so on. Plus, its an auto with an open diff, unlike my civic.
The second guess is once I get into 3rd and 4th, I begin to heat soak quite quickly due to the factory inter cooler.

Im not gonna bother taking it to they dyno since the data log shows everything is gucci.

But based on the math you suggested it adds up.

Attachments

• paulaccordauto.jpg
    paulaccordauto.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 6
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 5
Have you had it dyno’d?
Yes. Hot day...in the 90s. Was ~290. That jives...it's really a range so 290 to maybe 330 in v.cold temps based on all of my 1/4 data. The stated crank hp by the tuner is 352 I want to say calc'd back to the crank so figure awd 15% drivetrain loss puts it right around 300 wheel....all the data I have line up. All I know is in cool weather I touched 140mph on the back straight at VIR so it has enough 🤣

Yep. I have a few guesses. First, is that the torque falls off sharply at the top end. At the dyno the torque can peak at 360lbft at like 3000 rpm. But the small factory TD03 turbo can't feed the motor enough at the top end. If I used a type r turbo like the TD04 then the torque would shift higher towards the 4000-4500 range and probably pull way harder at the top. So because I am making well over 300lbft at 1500-1800 rpm, I won't get great ET without tires, suspension, and so on. Plus, its an auto with an open diff, unlike my civic.
The second guess is once I get into 3rd and 4th, I begin to heat soak quite quickly due to the factory inter cooler.

Im not gonna bother taking it to they dyno since the data log shows everything is gucci.

But based on the math you suggested it adds up.
It's likely this is just ambient temp/intercooler related.

Back