2018 tuned/tracked Golf Sportwagen 95K/4K OCI HPL Euro 5W40

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
2018 Golf Sportwagen. 95,482 miles/4,058 mile OCI. HPL Euro 5W40. Two track days and two autocrosses….was going to keep it for the remaining five track days this year but figured I had the time to change it while doing some other maintenance. Oil temps on track days sit in the 260-280 deg F range. Seven track days would have been out of my comfort zone with oil, even HPL. Oil in there now will see five track days (one already plus four more before end of year) which is pretty reasonable. I had zero consumption this interval. I’ve included by updated charts. No TBN this time, waste of $10 at this point (and really so are these UOAs haha). Note that I just did a compression test....180/178/179/181 psi....spot-on. Of course would have been nice to see those new but they are in the range of normal. Bottom line....Al and Fe are dropping off as expected after the large repair but still showing signs of the beatings I dish out. Si is just the 10-11ppm I saw on the HPL oil in VOA....not oMG yoU ArE RUnnING A k&N filTER aND thaT IS showIGN alL THe diRT it'S LEttING in. The 12 cST makes me happy I use the HPL but I'm sure Supertech would have done the same :rolleyes: according to some BITOGers...

R68901-page-001.jpg

Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG

Last edited:
This is kind of late, but the comment on it about timing chain tensioner sent me down the rabbit hole, because I've been looking to get one of these or an alltrack once the lease on the Taos is up, and I was curious because I hadn't heard of timing issues on the gen3 EA888... I can't believe what happened to yours, I really wonder what the hell happened there.

This is kind of late, but the comment on it about timing chain tensioner sent me down the rabbit hole, because I've been looking to get one of these or an alltrack once the lease on the Taos is up, and I was curious because I hadn't heard of timing issues on the gen3 EA888... I can't believe what happened to yours, I really wonder what the hell happened there.
They had timing chain tensioner issue until mid 2012.

It's like anything....any vehicle can have an issue for any reason at any time. Mine was the only one I've ever read about having that happen. The shop that repaired it said the bolts were lightweight aluminum vs. steel...who knows. I beat the crap out of it but didn't expect that. My chains showed no measureable stretch (using the scan tool). Buy the Alltrack with confidence. 2 issues...1) pano sunroof leaks (many of which are self-generated by not keeping the f/r drains clean or leaving on the "spider traps" on the drain hose ends) and 2) water pump/thermostat housing leaks. That's really it. My car is nearly at 100K with >2x stock power and says "hold me beer" regularly. Compression is good, runs like new. Looked good inside. Carbon build up on intake valves was minimal. I've done normal maintenance at a bit of a higher frequency due to harder use, I've replaced my PCV valve to ensure no smoking on track.

Last edited:
What boost are you running at?
Unitronic calibration peaks at 21 typically tapering to 18 at redline. Their tunes are pretty spicy in the timing dept. so 14 degrees at redline. Other tunes will run more boost but much lower timing. It rips.

Another UOA someone posted with HPL in one of the VW track groups...pretty similar...such better viscosity retention.

FB_IMG_1697509453353.jpg

The K&N filter comment made me laugh.
Sometimes people don't understand that an atom is very small, and the filter is really there to filter out actually dirt, soot, carbon deposits, so on, what else could I be missing from that list?
If your engine has a proper air filter and a good enough oil filter, you should honestly be good. I see a lot of these tests with oil filters using things like sand and im like...who is putting sand inside their oil pan lol. Should be enough to catch left over silicon sealant and etc.

21 PSI is spicy...and I am over here reaching 23.8 at highest with an ECU target of 24.5....how much hp/tq are you putting to the wheels?

Last edited:
The K&N filter comment made me laugh.
Sometimes people don't understand that an atom is very small, and the filter is really there to filter out actually dirt, soot, carbon deposits, so on, what else could I be missing from that list?
If your engine has a proper air filter and a good enough oil filter, you should honestly be good. I see a lot of these tests with oil filters using things like sand and im like...who is putting sand inside their oil pan lol. Should be enough to catch left over silicon sealant and etc.

21 PSI is spicy...and I am over here reaching 23.8 at highest with an ECU target of 24.5....how much hp/tq are you putting to the wheels?
This car has ~310hp or so at the wheels and similar tq. Tunes always do crank (which is fine to me b/c that's how ytou can compare to OE numbers) and crank is 350hp and change/325tq and change. I'm not into the dyno thing but I've calc'd it from 1/4 trap speed and weighing my car and it's in that ballpark for sure. Best 1/4 was 12.1 @ 113.4 and it weighs with me in it about 3420 lbs....it was really cold that morning hahahahah but either way, it's a fun car to drive.

This car has ~310hp or so at the wheels and similar tq. Tunes always do crank (which is fine to me b/c that's how ytou can compare to OE numbers) and crank is 350hp and change/325tq and change. I'm not into the dyno thing but I've calc'd it from 1/4 trap speed and weighing my car and it's in that ballpark for sure. Best 1/4 was 12.1 @ 113.4 and it weighs with me in it about 3420 lbs....it was really cold that morning hahahahah but either way, it's a fun car to drive.
AWD really helping you out there. I'm pushing abou 360lbft at the crank and ~310hp but the best I can do at the 1/4 13.4 at 104.8mph with about the same weight (3400-3500lb). But I have yet to switch to a different wheel/tire (don't wanna bother till the factory tires run out and they are honestly garbage).

Nothing wrong with your Si. Usually higher synthetic base has higher amounts anyway. Al seems to be tracking how it normally would under your track conditions.

AWD really helping you out there. I'm pushing abou 360lbft at the crank and ~310hp but the best I can do at the 1/4 13.4 at 104.8mph with about the same weight (3400-3500lb). But I have yet to switch to a different wheel/tire (don't wanna bother till the factory tires run out and they are honestly garbage).
Trap speed is trap speed regardless of awd launch/ET. Again, my numbers were in very favorable conditions i.e. near sea level, and below freezing for max cold dense air. Still, I would expect more than 104.8 at that power/weight...are you at elevation? Was it hot that day?

Nothing wrong with your Si. Usually higher synthetic base has higher amounts anyway. Al seems to be tracking how it normally would under your track conditions.
Yes - the VOA for HPL oil is 10-11ppm, totally normal but is higher than most other oils I've used and the trend shows that.

Trap speed is trap speed regardless of awd launch/ET. Again, my numbers were in very favorable conditions i.e. near sea level, and below freezing for max cold dense air. Still, I would expect more than 104.8 at that power/weight...are you at elevation? Was it hot that day?
It was 50ish F. Modern 8 or 10 speed transmissions first gear is so bad that you are spinning through first and second. I know some guys who have dumped enough dough into their accords to get down into the 12's and even high 11's, but would require better traction. I am probably about 800ft above sea level. All season tires are not great for traction off the line so the time is high but the trap speed is the norm for the car if not a bit high. Some guys who are up in the mountains are trapping under 100 mph because the turbo isn't able to even reach the factory target boost of 19.5. At my elevation I am close, within a few PSI most of the time.

I do need an inter cooler upgrade next to be able to reduce IAT's though. But this is more of a daily with the ability to pull hard once in a while. The civic isn't all that fast in the 1/4 but plenty quick around the track.

It was 50ish F. Modern 8 or 10 speed transmissions first gear is so bad that you are spinning through first and second. I know some guys who have dumped enough dough into their accords to get down into the 12's and even high 11's, but would require better traction. I am probably about 800ft above sea level. All season tires are not great for traction off the line so the time is high but the trap speed is the norm for the car if not a bit high. Some guys who are up in the mountains are trapping under 100 mph because the turbo isn't able to even reach the factory target boost of 19.5. At my elevation I am close, within a few PSI most of the time.

I do need an inter cooler upgrade next to be able to reduce IAT's though. But this is more of a daily with the ability to pull hard once in a while. The civic isn't all that fast in the 1/4 but plenty quick around the track.
Yeah, your trap doen't care about traction off the line but the ET certainly does. So 105 at your car's weight and you can plug that into an online calculator and figure what power you were actually making that day. ET is about traction, trap speed is about power. The MQB VWs are easy 11s and even 10s with the modded Golf Rs. GTIs which of course won't have good ETs are over 120mph trap for many of the popular setups. The wagon like mine can get into the mid-11s but I'd need to add MPI, a LPFP, and of course a new tune sticking with my current turbo (larger than stock OEM turbo off the Golf R).

2018 Golf Sportwagen. 95,482 miles/4,058 mile OCI. HPL Euro 5W40. Two track days and two autocrosses….was going to keep it for the remaining five track days this year but figured I had the time to change it while doing some other maintenance. Oil temps on track days sit in the 260-280 deg F range. Seven track days would have been out of my comfort zone with oil, even HPL. Oil in there now will see five track days (one already plus four more before end of year) which is pretty reasonable. I had zero consumption this interval. I’ve included by updated charts. No TBN this time, waste of $10 at this point (and really so are these UOAs haha). Note that I just did a compression test....180/178/179/181 psi....spot-on. Of course would have been nice to see those new but they are in the range of normal. Bottom line....Al and Fe are dropping off as expected after the large repair but still showing signs of the beatings I dish out. Si is just the 10-11ppm I saw on the HPL oil in VOA....not oMG yoU ArE RUnnING A k&N filTER aND thaT IS showIGN alL THe diRT it'S LEttING in. The 12 cST makes me happy I use the HPL but I'm sure Supertech would have done the same :rolleyes: according to some BITOGers...

View attachment 183780

View attachment 183773View attachment 183787
I love the fact that you beat on a tuned wagon. If I had the scratch I’d be beating on a CTS-V 6M. Nice results… HPL has as much moly as some of the API SP oils have in Zinc, calcium, & magnesium…

Thanks for the UOA. Happy motoring!

I love the fact that you beat on a tuned wagon. If I had the scratch I’d be beating on a CTS-V 6M. Nice results… HPL has as much moly as some of the API SP oils have in Zinc, calcium, & magnesium…

Thanks for the UOA. Happy motoring!
My main thing here is maintaining viscosity and it does it better than any of the others I've used with M1 0W40 being the worst...sure some fuel in there...has to be...but there is some shearing I would wager and the Star VIIs per Dave will help...and they apparently do!

I love this little wagon! Just got it track tech inspected for 2 more events at VIR in Nov/Dec so looking forward to more high-speed grocery getting!

Capture.JPG

Back