Pothole bent rim >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
So driving through troy today, managed to hit a massive pothole which did a number on my front passenger rim. The tire is fine, but there is a nice long scratched section of rim lip, and about an inch long section of it is bent, about 1cm of it is bent in such a way that it is past the edge of the tire. It doesn't appear to be losing air, but it's extremely annoying. I'm fairly sure this can't be fixed with a hammer and mallet, sometimes alloy rims are a pain in the neck. Should I even worry about it for now? I mean I have 2,000 miles of trips coming up (Decided against trailer). What do you think? No unusual vibrations, it drives the same as normal. I was going to put off getting it professionally repaired, but I don't want to do anything that would put me or other people in danger.

The way it hit was the pothole was so wide (it was in traffic, I couldn't avoid it) and the tire fell in, and the rim hit on the edge of it.

It looks almost identical to this.
THIS IS NOT MY WHEEL. THE DAMAGE LOOKS LIKE THIS HOWEVER.
IMG_20110205_083900.jpg

Last edited:
had the same thing happen on my Saturn a few weeks ago. Luckily I don't have alloys because the rim on mine was bent way worse than that. I used a sledgehammer to bend the rim back. But the tread on the opposite side of the tire was torn up from the hit, so I had to visit Tonys tire shop and pick up a used tire for 30 bucks.

Inspect your tire really well

Last edited:
I wouldn't consider that wheel reliable. Wouldn't surprise me if a crack develops.

I think it's going to dawn on a lot of people over the next few years that the trend of large wheels and low-profile tires is going to cost a LOT more than they thought.

Is that a factory wheel weight? I haven't seen one of those in 10 years!

Originally Posted By: antonmnster
I wouldn't consider that wheel reliable. Wouldn't surprise me if a crack develops.

I think it's going to dawn on a lot of people over the next few years that the trend of large wheels and low-profile tires is going to cost a LOT more than they thought.

Is that a factory wheel weight? I haven't seen one of those in 10 years!

Wait wait wait, that isn't a picture of my tire. It's IDENTICAL to that damage, but I have 60 series tires with 17" alloys. But yes I have factory weights that look like that.

+10000. Amazing this isnt realized/recognized. While Im sure Nick will be fixing it, there are a ton of econobox drivers who sustain worse damage and likely cant afford the repair... And they are using the roadways with us.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

+10000. Amazing this isnt realized/recognized. While Im sure Nick will be fixing it, there are a ton of econobox drivers who sustain worse damage and likely cant afford the repair... And they are using the roadways with us.

I see this all the time. Tons of Mercedes Benz C-class and E-class econoboxes and also the SL-class ones. It's rare to see one of these cars with more tan two round wheels and having all four wheels cracked and leaking isn't unusual.

Originally Posted By: yonyon

I see this all the time. Tons of Mercedes Benz C-class and E-class econoboxes and also the SL-class ones. It's rare to see one of these cars with more tan two round wheels and having all four wheels cracked and leaking isn't unusual.

And your point is????? The fact of the matter is that the MB driver just might have a little bit more funding to replace a wheel than someone who could only afford a used econobox.

Ever think its not about make, but about the user and their ability to upkeep???!?

Originally Posted By: Donald
I hit a pothole with my Volvo 760 several years ago and sent my wheel away to be refinished.

Yeah, Id probably send it to LA wheel and Tire or a similar reputable place to get redone.

And your point is????? The fact of the matter is that the MB driver just might have a little bit more funding to replace a wheel than someone who could only afford a used econobox.

Ever think its not about make, but about the user and their ability to upkeep???!?

Oh, don't get all bent out of round over tmy little comment there.

Besides, I think what I was trying to write isn't what you read. I was trying to point out that driving around on damaged wheels isn't something that's really specific to econobox class vehicles. It really is those cars I see most often with the known bent/cracked/leaking wheels.

Why? Well, when someone who's got a 5 year old car that cost $15,000 to $30,000 new and plans to keep it another 5 or 10 years hits a pothole and gets a nasty vibration that makes driving the car a real chore there's a good chance they'll spend the $200 to $800 to fix it. The guy in the 3 month old Mercedes that cost upwards of $60,000 and is going back to the dealer when it's two years old can have the same thing happen with a much smaller pothole. He'll probably also be told by the dealership, tire store, or auto repair shop that and it's expected with such a heavy car, weak wheels, and low profile tires that replacing wheels is just a part of normal upkeep. This guy might not want to pay the $300 to $450 knowing it will probably happen again soon and will choose to drive a car that vibrates and needs the tires inflated every few days.

There are tons of wheel shops that specialize in repairing wheels. Nothing really serious if your wheel is similar to that picture.

Yonyon,
BMW and Benz owners are affluent and can afford to buy new wheels every few years.

I'd run it for a while, and see if your tire develops a bulge.
There's a reason factory alloys are as heavy as steelies, they seem to use a nice soft alloy that can take some abuse like this.
I have a pair of alloy rims that look a bit worse than that, and they haven't had any issues at all, with cracks in the rim or leaking at the bead when I get different tires mounted on them.

lucky you didnt get a pinch flat.

Get a new rim and possibly tire

if its awd make sure any new tire is aprox the same size as the old one with a 1-2/32nds

at the least take it to the dealer or a good tire shop and have it fully inspected

Oh, don't get all bent out of round over tmy little comment there.

lol.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Besides, I think what I was trying to write isn't what you read. I was trying to point out that driving around on damaged wheels isn't something that's really specific to econobox class vehicles. It really is those cars I see most often with the known bent/cracked/leaking wheels.

Well of course, because for now there are less exotic tires, higher sidewalls, lower mass, and likely similar construction of the wheels. Its specific to low profile wheels and tires, not one class of car.

I have quite a few friends and neighbors with new Mercedes and the rubberband tires.
Although they may be able to afford a wheel and/or tire replacement, they would be just as ticked off at the expense as someone who couldn't, perhaps even more so.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone

I have quite a few friends and neighbors with new Mercedes and the rubberband tires.
Although they may be able to afford a wheel and/or tire replacement, they would be just as ticked off at the expense as someone who couldn't, perhaps even more so.

No kidding, but a $1000 wheel and tire repair is a bigger expense relative to the car value and purchase price on a $20k car than on a $40k car.

And after 15 years, it is a bigger issue on the $5k car vs the $12k car. You buy an econobox for economy, not to shell out 20%+ of the car's value becaue of a pothole in the road when youre driving it at 100k miles and 15 years.

Different buyers, different situations. Of course all will be annoyed.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette

Yonyon,
BMW and Benz owners are affluent and can afford to buy new wheels every few years.

In general, yes, they tend to be more affluent than Kia or Suzuki owners. There are plenty of people who have money and like to show it but don't like to spend it. When these folks own a Benz that's going to keep bending or cracking wheels, many of them see it as a waste of money and won't spend it. The BMW owners (5-series excepted for some reason) rarely have bent or cracked wheels. I don't know if BMW uses stronger wheels or suspension that better absorbs the impact, but they bend a whole lot less. I suppose it is also possible that BMW somehow attracts drivers who hit fewer potholes, but I think that might be a bit far fetched. In any case, the BMWs get far fewer wheel problems and they seem to get fixed almost every time.

It's rare to see one of these cars with more tan two round wheels and having all four wheels cracked and leaking isn't unusual.

Maybe that's the next business opportunity. Lots of companies sell steel wheels for winter tire use. No one, however, seems to sell hubcabs that don't look like garbage.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak

Maybe that's the next business opportunity. Lots of companies sell steel wheels for winter tire use. No one, however, seems to sell hubcabs that don't look like garbage.
wink.gif

There's plenty of dealerships where you can buy non-ugly hubcaps that look just like the ones some cars come with! The problem with this is that the price of these hubcaps and and steel wheels to go with them isn't far off from the cost of a set of alloy wheels. How many people do you know who would choose steelies & hubcaps instead of alloys at roughly the same price?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back