Anybody liking CVT's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all the CVT carping and bashing going on, I finally had an opportunity to drive one, actualy a 2012 Nissan Altima 2.5S for a week and 500 miles in Florida. And to my surprise, I liked the CVT more than I thought I would.

It was smooth and silent. Far from loud or obtrusive. Turns a lazy 2000 RPM at 72 MPH with instant MPG in the high 30's. Calculated mileage for the week was 31 MPG in a mix of highway and city driving.

Acceleration was pretty strong with only 3K RPM on the tach but 2000-2500 was enough in normal driving. I didn't feel that rubber band effect much either and passing was effortless with no need to peg the RPM through the roof.

Overall, a very well behaved transmission with a convincing manual gate simulating 6 "gears" if needed. It was not jerky on partial stops and doesn't hunt between gears in the say 25-45 MPH range.

Might not be the ticket in a performance or high lux application but I'd now seriously consider one in a well balanced package as this 4 cylinder Altima. Or is Nissan better at tuning them I don't know and never tested other CVT's?

What about maintenance of a CVT, reliability and durability? As good or better than a conventionnal automatic?

my 2011 versa with the 4 speed auto is getting a moon roof put in so my dealer lent me a 2012 sl murano with the cvt for a few days. It is pretty sweet. the cvt feels great and the power in that thing is crazy. its all wheel drive and has traction control. it just ticked over 1200 km. I would get a cvt from nissan for sure. But i do like our 4 speed auto very much.

I think Nissan especially has done a very good job with their CVT's. I have an '09 Altima and I like it a lot. Nissan pretty much "pioneered" the mass production CVT and though they had some problems early on, Nissan has fixed them up well in the last 6-7 years. I have seen OEM FF transmission fluid analysis at 40k with mind blowing low wear.

I can't speak about the other manufacturers, but I absolutely love the CVT in our Nissan Rogue. I was stunned when I changed the fluid at 66k and it was pristine! Looked just as good as the new fluid going back in. The unit did get "like new quiet" on the new fluid, however so I recommend a fluid change to anyone who has a unit that is not as quiet as when new, no matter what the fluid monitor says. There are aftermarket fluids available for reasonable prices that work as good or better as the OE stuff. Servicing on this unit is as easy as a motor oil change to boot!

My girlfriends Ford Freestyle has a CVT and it is pretty nice. Good fuel mileage. My Mercury Mariner hybrid has an e-CVT and it is also quite smooth. I like CVT transmissions.

Really enjoy the gas mileage and performance on my sentra. Its not a road burner but enough to get you out of trouble.

I didnt mind the altima rental I had.. I also liked the outback cvt..

you just have to get used to them.

Can't stand them. I constantly have customers complain about how loud their altimas are as they are driving down the road at 4k. Plus we replace them left and right. I'd prefer not to have one.

My wife and I both love her 07 Altima 2.5S CVT. It nets us 30 mpg in mixed driving, and a solid 32-34 on the open road. Its very quick too. If you apply what I consider normal acceleration from a stop light, the rest of pack is quickly left behind. I would imagine that it would embarrass many 6 cylinders. We have 80K on it and it runs incredibly strong, smooth and quiet. Comfort for 5 people and 30+ mpg on regular pump gas. Also, 20 gal tank goes forever. I love at least this CVT!

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
Can't stand them. I constantly have customers complain about how loud their altimas are as they are driving down the road at 4k. Plus we replace them left and right. I'd prefer not to have one.

Only the old Murano ones right?

I have one in a ford 110k, serviced it 2 times so far, replaced the high pressure filter the first time but it was absolutely clean. No problems of any kind, good fuel economy.

This is a great thread! I've wondered about CVTs as more and more auto makers are using them; never hearing much about them kinda made them a " black hole".

Good to know they don't try to destroy themselves while in use! I'd actually consider one now.

I figure if anyone was good at CVTs it would be Honda. They've been doing them since the '80s.

Of course they were powering motorscooters.

Subaru was the first to use a CVT in regular production vehicles that I can remember.

I didn't particularly care for the CVT equipped Maxima.
21.gif

I have one in my 2006 Ford Freestyle. It was a little pricey to do the maintenance ($300) but it works very well and is as smooth as silk. I've had it from new.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Only the old Murano ones right?

I've heard that about the Nissan ones but not the Ford or Volvo.

The only kind of transmission there should be besides manual is CVT.

...Once CVTs are perfected, of course -- and AFAIK, they are close.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
I think Nissan especially has done a very good job with their CVT's. I have an '09 Altima and I like it a lot. Nissan pretty much "pioneered" the mass production CVT and though they had some problems early on, Nissan has fixed them up...

Keep in mind Nissan doesn't build transmissions, CVT or otherwise. They source them from Jatco, so any kudos should go to Jatco.

The CVT equipped Nissan Rogues I've driven were enjoyable.

My Subaru is just plain awesome with it's Aisin built CVT. Love it. Can't say enough positives about it so far.

Joel

Just how fast are you driving to be cruising down the road at 4000 rpm? An above poster said his Altima was revving 2000 at 70, so you must be really flying at 4000.

I had a CVT in my 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid. The transmission had to be replaced after 60,000 km. I babied the new transmission after that. I changed the fluid as soon as the shifting started to feel stiff. This was usually every 20000 to 30000 km. The fluid was $15 a liter! I sold the car at the end of December. I loved the rest of the car but would never buy another car with CVT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back