Anybody liking CVT's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think that a strong and well tuned CVT would work great in a Turbo/SC'd car... I would think it could allow the car to remain at peak boost when acceleration is needed and allow for economy when needed. How about a hybrid CVT-DSG transmission with a sequential twin turbo motor??

Lots of opinions here, but few from actual owners.

I for one never thought I'd own one, or like them for that matter.

It took all of a day to get used to my CVT equipped Subaru, now I couldn't imagine owning another AT with more than ~5 gears for my daily-driver.

The 5spd auto in our 2008 Honda Odyssey is downright annoying in comparison once I got accustomed to my Subaru.

Joel

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: rslifkin
Nothing worse than a constant-RPM drone during acceleration with no shifting, feedback or feel to it.

This is one sentiment that I never understood.

The constant-RPM drone means the engine is always operating in the right range for what you want it to do. The lack of "feedback or feel" means there is no shift shock, which makes the drive smoother and saves wear and tear on the drivetrain. In other words, what makes a CVT feel odd is exactly the same as what makes it worth having.

21.gif

Exactly!!! When the Rogue came out one of the auto mags did a comparo and in the drag race the 4 cyl Rogue with only 170 hp beat all the other vehicles in its class, including all the 6 cylinders! The CVT can keep the rpms right in the power so you get all available hp, all the time. And it keeps the rpms low when power is not needed for great fuel economy. Its the best of both worlds.

I love my Burgman 650 and wouldn't go back to a manual bike/scooter. Not having to shift is my favorite part, and the quiet.

I had a chance to get a loaner Subaru Outback with CVT. It was fine driving appliance but nothing inspiring. The paddle shifters for simulated shifting is silly.

I simply prefer rowing the gears myself.

No I really don't like them. Also I dislike any transmission with more than 6 gears in a car.

Right now for some odd reason a lot of car manufactures are having a contest to see who can turn their cars into a dump truck with a million forward gears the fastest! The new Porsche I was in the other day had a 7spd stick. The sales guy was like its so cool, I was like not in a 400hp car, its annoying having to shift so much, like driving a dump truck. I asked him when Porsche was going to do 2-3 reverse gears too...

Last edited:
x wife's escape had one (hybrid).

it was great. what **really** helped was the way ford tuned the engine note and NVH. That little powerplant just sung a sweet song at whatever rpm it need to be at. If the ecu said 5k here we come, you didn't feel like it was going to beat it self up or shake off the mounts. almost like flying a turbine, or listening to a turbo spool up and down on a hilly cruise.... it did it's thing and it was fun.

But it would not have worked for me if the engine thrashed, or made a butt-ton of noise, or made it harder to talk, or sounded like it opened the secondaries and changed it's voice, or if it was overworked. It really was a nice implementation.

m

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
No I really don't like them. Also I dislike any transmission with more than 6 gears in a car.

Right now for some odd reason a lot of car manufactures are having a contest to see who can turn their cars into a dump truck with a million forward gears the fastest! The new Porsche I was in the other day had a 7spd stick. The sales guy was like its so cool, I was like not in a 400hp car, its annoying having to shift so much, like driving a dump truck. I asked him when Porsche was going to do 2-3 reverse gears too...

We're going to start seeing brownie boxes on cars again! Lets see how fast someone can shift a 5+4 porsche! haha.

Are the 7 ratios really that closely spaced? I thought the 7th was a super tall Driving Miss Daisy highway gear.

Oh like the PDK it is a brilliant design, I won't argue that. But its just not needed, its just an example of more for the sake of more.

Jay Leno had a great segment on it awhile back and cut one open in his garage.

But I'm biased, I also drove the 722.9 as soon as it came out and didn't care for it. Haven't driven an 8spd yet but it can't be better.

I like having a lot of gears in trucks for stump pulling, and in little low HP cars because well you need them. A 7spd would be fantastic in an 80hp Toyota, but in a 400hp E class? Come on its just pointless shifting at that point.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Are the 7 ratios really that closely spaced? I thought the 7th was a super tall Driving Miss Daisy highway gear.

I only drove it up and down a 40mph side road, never got fast enough to even think about 7th. But older 911's had no problem on the highway with 6 gears so I'm not sure what problem they were trying to fix.

Maybe the Germans want an autobahn gear for running at 150ish? I don't know, I think its just this I have more gears than you game a lot of manufactures are playing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Love it when the quickie lubes fill a Freestyle or Five Hundred CVT with their bulk ATF and it gets brought to us on a hook for a new unit. I have done maybe 15-20 of these in my 5 years at the dealer, and its usually somewhere in the 6k range when all is said and done.

firstly, apologies for dusting off a 5+mo old thread..
My Dad has an '05 Freestyle w/ the AWD CVT, and the local quickie lube(Valvoline Instant Oil Change franchisee) told him (when it started acting up) that it was a "Sealed Unit. Non Serviceable" I don't remember exactly what the problem was, i know the little "wrench" light came on in the info center, and the Dealer ended up having to replacing it w/ a re-man unit. (covered under his extended warranty thankfully) but other than that hiccup he's really liking the cvt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back