Auto Xtra 618-51372 video

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running Auto Xtra oil and filters in a couple of vehicles right now. Nice sturdy filter.

Thanks for the vid.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Sure that isn't a Pro Select or Napa Silver?

Yep ... combo ADBV/bypass valve is the give away. That filter is not "equivalent to a WIX or NAPA Gold" ... but it looks like a fairly decent filter. Has a lot of media area.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Sure that isn't a Pro Select or Napa Silver?

Yep ... combo ADBV/bypass valve is the give away. That filter is not "equivalent to a WIX or NAPA Gold" ... but it looks like a fairly decent filter. Has a lot of media area.

The Napa Gold 1372s I was running a few years ago had a combo ADBV just like this but redish orange. It is green like a Napa Silver, still cheaper. May be someone can spend $7 and cut one of them open? It is the same media as a Wix or Napa Gold, you can see that from other videos.

Most closely related to Napa Pro Select not Napa Gold/standard Wix.

Like most, if now not all NPS's, it uses the cheaper nitrile combo valve design. Pass.

I'll stick with separate adbv and metal bypass design.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

Like most, if now not all NPS's, it uses the cheaper nitrile combo valve design. Pass.

The only difference is the ADBV, its the same filter media. Much better than a OCOD.

i bought 6 auto extra on ebay. same as proselect and these are excellent filters as good as purolator.

i bought some napa gold also and they have the same combovalve as these autoextra but silcone rather than nitrile rubber.

AutoExtra are good!!

Originally Posted By: Provi

The only difference is the ADBV, its the same filter media. Much better than a OCOD.

Actually the main difference is the bypass, rubber combo valve is a combined bypass and adbv in AEx and NPS. Napa Gold and Wix both use a separate metal bypass as well as a silicone, not nitrile, adbv.

Also Wix uses a synthetic fiber blend for media, I've seen no reference for AE noting it is the same as Wix or Napa Gold.

Also, media area may or my not be equal to the Wix. Youtube proves nothing regarding media type or area. As said, likely closer to Napa Pro Select.
Originally Posted By: Caliberguy
i bought some napa gold also and they have the same combovalve as these autoextra but silcone rather than nitrile rubber.

Any pics or link regarding this statement? Afaik, NO standard Wix or Napa Gold canister has ever used a rubber combo valve design, nor is it advertised as such. The new Napa Silver advertises a combo valve design, but not the Napa Gold or Wix.

IMO, if the AE or NPS uses the cheapened combo valve design, then The Puro Classic and the Puro 'made fors' like Quaker State, Promotive of Group7 are a superior design with separate metal bypass.

Actually the main difference is the bypass, rubber combo valve is a combined bypass and adbv in AEx and NPS. Napa Gold and Wix both use a separate metal bypass as well as a silicone, not nitrile, adbv.

Also Wix uses a synthetic fiber blend for media, I've seen no reference for AE noting it is the same as Wix or Napa Gold.

Also, media area may or my not be equal to the Wix. Youtube proves nothing regarding media type or area. As said, likely closer to Napa Pro Select.

Any pics or link regarding this statement? Afaik, NO standard Wix or Napa Gold canister has ever used a rubber combo valve design, nor is it advertised as such. The new Napa Silver advertises a combo valve design, but not the Napa Gold or Wix.

IMO, if the AE or NPS uses the cheapened combo valve design, then The Puro Classic and the Puro 'made fors' like Quaker State, Promotive of Group7 are a superior design with separate metal bypass.

Negative, I wish I still had the napa gold filters from 2009 but they had a silicone ADBV/combo that was silcone. Also look at pictures of WIX or Napa gold filters and compare the filter media to the AX, same thing.

Negative, I wish I still had the napa gold filters from 2009 but they had a silicone ADBV/combo that was silcone. Also look at pictures of WIX or Napa gold filters and compare the filter media to the AX, same thing.

Naked eye means little or nothing when it comes to filter/media efficency or media area. Most cellulose type media, blend or not, look similar, but efficiency can be very different. Also unless area is measured it to can be different too. Been shown here many times with Purolator Classic, P1's and the made fors like Quaker State and AAP Total Grip etc as shown here

As for your 09 Napa Gold "combo valve", not likely. Yes standard Wix/Napa Gold use a thread end bypass and silicone adbv, but they are separate, now and in 09. They are at thread end, but they are not combined in the nitrile combo valve design shown in the AE.

That said, if the AE works for you, great. I'll pass and use a filter with a separate adbv and bypass.

sayjac said:

Naked eye means little or nothing when it comes to filter/media efficency or media area. Most cellulose type media, blend or not, look similar, but efficiency can be very different. Also unless area is measured it to can be different Been shown here many times with Purolator Classic, P1's and the made fors like Quaker State and AAP Total Grip etc as shown here

As for your 09 Napa Gold "combo valve", not likely. Yes standard Wix/Napa Gold use a thread end bypass and silicone adbv, but they are separate, now and in 09. They are at thread end, but they are not combined in the nitrile combo valve design shown in the AE.

That said, if the AE works for you, great. I'll pass and use a filter with a separate adbv and bypass.

page 19

http://www.ford-trucks.com/ford-manuals/Oil_Filter_Cutaway_Comparison.pdf

for comparison of another model http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=426763

The Napa Gold 1372s I was running a few years ago had a combo ADBV just like this but redish orange.

Dang ... I hope the NAPA Golds don't start using the combo valve.
sick.gif
confused2.gif

page 19

http://www.ford-trucks.com/ford-manuals/Oil_Filter_Cutaway_Comparison.pdf
That is the first and only Wix/NG I have seen that shows combo valve design. Whether the AE is the same as Wix/NG is still another matter. One difference though is the Wix/NG is a silicone adbv not nitrile.

That said, even though I said not likely a combo valve, I stand corrected.

Wonder how many other Wix/NG have gone to the combo design? It's sure not advertised as such on the Wix website.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

The Napa Gold 1372s I was running a few years ago had a combo ADBV just like this but redish orange.

Dang ... I hope the NAPA Golds don't start using the combo valve.
sick.gif
confused2.gif

see my link above this post

Yep ... I stay away from "Combo Valves" and E-core filters.

Give me good filtering performance, metal end caps, metal center tube and a spring loaded bypass valve and I'll be buying those filters.

see my link above this post

Yeah, sickening ...
sick.gif

A little something to consider:

Motorcrafts are supposedly known to have the same type of media as a PureOne the last I heard from the rumor-mill (or people having tested them), but Ford or Purolater never came forward to make such statements as I've seen/heard. I would assume Wix would be taking a similar tactic.

Also of note from the .pdf link: the combo valves are coming in red and black colors, both listed as silicone and not nitrile.

Further note: how is this ADBV not spring-loaded compared to a purolater style? The spring is at the rear of the filter media, adding quite a lot of pressure to the combo valve, which would help it seal against the baseplate. For the price I say it's a good buy, and looks like it would do just as well as the 820S.

Shall we try a case study of media efficacy vs the (napa) gold standard?

Originally Posted By: UnexplodedCow

Motorcrafts are supposedly known to have the same type of media as a PureOne the last I heard from the rumor-mill (or people having tested them), but Ford or Purolater never came forward to make such statements as I've seen/heard.

Based on the advertised (and tested) efficiency of a standard Morotcraft spin-on oil filter, I'd have to say the media in the Motorcraft filters is not the same as the PureOne. Motorcraft's advertised efficiency is "80% @ 20 microns", which isn't even close to a Purolator Classic's efficiency.

Then there is this test data that shows the Motorcraft actually filtering better than Motorcraft's numbers ... but it's still below the Purolator Classic's advertised rating.

AmsoilEaOilFilterEfficiency.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back