Auto Xtra 618-51372 video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sayjac
The youtube video you made show what looks to be as Wix made filter, it doesn't prove it the same efficiency the same as a Wix 51372.

Post a published efficiency showing the AE has the same 'beta' as the Wix, then you will have gone a long way to proving with the exception of a less durable nitrile combo valve it's the the same as the Wix.

Without the posted efficiency, all your vidoe shows is a filter made by Wix, with the Auto Extra name. Thats' it.

Then show proof that it isn't and quit being one sides. Again I will go back to the link that I posted showed unused identical filters, the texture, color, and size were identical, something in the link you shared you can't go by as the filters were used. Everything you have said has not proved me wrong.

Originally Posted By: Provi
It's a little hard if there are not any numbers published. I am not going to pay for testing to satisfy you when I am perfectly fine with what I have seen on the net and in person.

But it only costs $15,000 to have one filter tested per ISO 4548-12. I've gotten the quotes.
crazy.gif

BTW - I only use oil filters that have a published ISO 4548-12 efficiency rating. Otherwise, you're just guessing and you can't even really make a good guess by just looking at a filter's media.

AutoXtra media is not the same media in a Napa Gold/Wix/CarQuest Blue. Similar, but not the same, AFAIK. Gold's use a certain cellulose that is 'glass enhanced', whereas the Napa Silver(formerly Pro Select) use a cellulose T-83 Composite Media(paper only.

According to Wix filter's website:

The 51372 made by Wix is 50% efficient at 12 micron and 95% efficient at 25 micron.

Now, if only someone could find the AutoExtra...ah, but here's the Napa Silver with the nitrile adbv, which means the AutoExtra is MOST LIKELY a re-bandanged Napa Silver(the same supplier that generally). Less logical for a more 'cost-efficient' filter to be made and labels be given accordingly.

Part Number: SFL 31372
Product Line: Silver Filters
Attributes:
Flow Rate : 7 to 9 gpm
Gasket I.D. (Inches) : 2.462"
Gasket I.D. (mm) : 62 mm
Media Type : Cellulose
Oil Filter Gasket O.D. (Inches) : 2.834"
Oil Filter Gasket O.D. (mm) : 72 mm
Oil Filter Height (Inches) : 4.167"
Oil Filter Height (mm) : 106 mm
Oil Filter O.D. (Inches) : 3.66"
Oil Filter O.D. (mm) : 93 mm
Oil Filter Style : Spin-On Lube
Oil Filter Thread Size (mm) : 22 x 1.5 mm
Features and Benefits:
T-83 Composite Media, Nitrile Rubber Anti-Drain Back Valve, Standard Center Tube, Meets Engine Manufacturers Requirements

Part Number: FIL 1372
Product Line: NAPA Gold Filters
Attributes:
Beta Ratio : 2/20=12/25
Burst Pressure : 275 psi
Flow Rate : 11 - 13 gpm
Gasket I.D. (Inches) : 2.462"
Gasket I.D. (mm) : 63 mm
Media Type : Cellulose
Oil Filter Gasket O.D. (Inches) : 2.834"
Oil Filter Gasket O.D. (mm) : 72 mm
Oil Filter Height (Inches) : 4.167"
Oil Filter Height (mm) : 106 mm
Oil Filter O.D. (Inches) : 3.66"
Oil Filter O.D. (mm) : 92 mm
Oil Filter Style : Spin-On Lube Filter
Oil Filter Thread Size (mm) : 22 x 1.50 mm
Features and Benefits:
Glass Enhanced Media - Best Efficiency + Capacity In Industry
Steel Coil Spring
Spiral Wound Center Tube For Industry Leading Strength
Has a 16 lb. By-Pass Relief Valve Setting
Silicon Anti-Drain Back Valve - Industry Leading Life
Holds 45% More Dirt, Last 30% Longer Than Other Leading Brands
21 Micron

Flow rate alone gives you an idea of the media being different as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
AutoXtra media is not the same media in a Napa Gold/Wix....

But the OP heard a rumor that the AEx was the same and posted a youtube that 'proves' it looks and feels the same so it must be true slim, no matter what your post shows, right?
whistle.gif

Pictures and posting a youtube is now the only evidence according to the OP. Forget betas, which btw is the same for the Wix as the NG, but throw that out because published betas don't mean anything. The Wix glass enhanced media was previously mentioned, but that means nothing too. Curious the Silver has no posted beta like the AX too. Hmmm.

But, it's now on a youtube and the internets so it must be true that the AX is the same as Wix/NG.
wink.gif

Oh almost forgot, I agree with you.
thumbsup2.gif

Curious the Silver has no posted beta like the AX too. Hmmm.

Probably because it's not that great. Usually, companies don't advertise bad specs as that makes the product look bad compared to others.

IIRC, the T-83 is definitely only a paper style media, no real bones about it.

Whilst, the T3 Glass Enhanced Media is a Wix/NG/CQ Blue the 'specific' label for the type of media used on those filters.

Not bad for the price, but I don't like an all in one. My adbv being rubber, okay...nitrile alright fine...but my bypass valve being all in one rubber bypass? Ugh...

...and to the OP, no one is outright trying to burst your bubble. A lot of enthusiasm and definitely a good filter for the price, just wouldn't use it myself personally. At least not in the winter or simply because of preference.

i have 5 napa golds for my dodge caliber- they use silcone combovalve at thread end! must be good enough that they are now putting them in Golds.

So you have 5 Napa Golds that use a silicone combo valve? Really, 5 Napa Golds with a silicone combo valve? Got it.
wink.gif

And while the silicone combo valves be "good enough" for this Wix application, imo still not the quality and reliability of the classic Wix metal thread end bypass. While better than the nitrile combo valve, still a cheapened design.

EYI, the OP of this thread has since posted a more recent thread saying he no longer believes the AX to the same as the Wix and Napa Gold. He also was unable to duplicate the NG silicone combo valve shown in the Motorcraft comparo link with a recent purchase for the same application. His recent NG has the classic metal thread end bypass.

So you have 5 Napa Golds that use a silicone combo valve? Really, 5 Napa Golds with a silicone combo valve? Got it.
wink.gif

And while the silicone combo valves be "good enough" for this Wix application, imo still not the quality and reliability of the classic Wix metal thread end bypass. While better than the nitrile combo valve, still a cheapened design.

EYI, the OP of this thread has since posted a more recent thread saying he no longer believes the AX to the same as the Wix and Napa Gold. He also was unable to duplicate the NG silicone combo valve shown in the Motorcraft comparo link with a recent purchase for the same application. His recent NG has the classic metal thread end bypass.

the newer NG have the dome bypass

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...278#Post2543278

Caliberguy cut it open

That's right, I knew that latest 51372/1372 didn't posted didn't have a silicone combo valve but had forgotten it had a dome end rather than thread end bypass. I would prefer that design to a silicone combo valve.

Afaik though the NG dome end bypass is application specific, and that the great majority of Wix/NG still spec a traditional Wix metal thread end bypass.

yes. i swear.

is this a bad design? IMO no, as I use the proselect in my mercury colony park, and those have nitrile combovalve in thread end

My autoextra's have dome end bypass valve, sililar to Purolator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back