My K24 loves M1 0W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
In an impulse moment of OCD, I drained out the 2,500 mile Pennzoil Ultra and poured in 5 quarts of Mobil 1 0W-20 this weekend. As some with a Honda K24 know, the engine can be noisy when cold. Don't know whether it's piston slap, valvetrain, etc. I wanted to try the 0W-20 in it and I just didn't care to wait for another 3-4k miles.

So far, the engine is significantly quieter on this oil. I don't get much, if any, tapping when cold (which sounded a lot like piston slap, but may not have been), and it's quieter when warmed up as well. Pennzoil oils have historically run the quietest in my vehicles, but with both Honda products now, Mobil's lubes seem to be the choice product for them.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
In an impulse moment of OCD, I drained out the 2,500 mile Pennzoil Ultra and poured in 5 quarts of Mobil 1 0W-20 this weekend. As some with a Honda K24 know, the engine can be noisy when cold. Don't know whether it's piston slap, valvetrain, etc. I wanted to try the 0W-20 in it and I just didn't care to wait for another 3-4k miles.

So far, the engine is significantly quieter on this oil. I don't get much, if any, tapping when cold (which sounded a lot like piston slap, but may not have been), and it's quieter when warmed up as well. Pennzoil oils have historically run the quietest in my vehicles, but with both Honda products now, Mobil's lubes seem to be the choice product for them.

You better be careful.
smile.gif
You mentioned the words "quieter and oil" in the same sentence, how could that be? LOL I noticed after changing from a Boutique, 0W20 top of the line oil, to Edge 0W20 my engine sounded quieter too. Too bad Castrol messed with the SM Edge 0W20, but that's another story. When my stash of Edge runs out it will be M1 0W20 for me too.

I ran one fill of M1 0w-30 and my TSX's K24 was louder than with 5w-30 PP/PU. My 4Runner is quieter with M1 than PP/PU, though. I have been thinking about trying the 0w-20.

Last edited:
M1 0-20, (both SM and SN which I can't tell the differance as for performance) is fine(quite) in the Fords. Since I have never used anything other than M1 oils I don' have anything to compare to.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
M1 0-20, (both SM and SN which I can't tell the differance as for performance) is fine(quite) in the Fords. Since I have never used anything other than M1 oils I don' have anything to compare to.

Did you notice a difference when switching from the 5W-20 to the 0W-20? M1's 5W-20 was horribly loud in our Chrysler minivan, so I was scared off Mobil 1 for a while. But our Hondas run real quiet on it.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: tig1

Did you notice a difference when switching from the 5W-20 to the 0W-20? M1's 5W-20 was horribly loud in our Chrysler minivan, so I was scared off Mobil 1 for a while. But our Hondas run real quiet on it.

I went from 5-20EP to 0-20 and didn't notice any real differance as for noise. But the 0-20 is very quite all the way to the full 10K OCI. I recently changed both engines(the Fusion had almost 11K as we were on a trip) and I can't tell any differance after changing oil. Some might say I can't hear well these days! HeHe!

I thought M1 was loud at first, but after investigation the engine had quieted down substantially exposing a number of noises previously drowned out like the alternator, belt tensioner, and compressor just to name a few. Unless everything on the serp belt is failing
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I thought M1 was loud at first, but after investigation the engine had quieted down substantially exposing a number of noises previously drowned out like the alternator, belt tensioner, and compressor just to name a few. Unless everything on the serp belt is failing
shocked.gif

Once I had a noise that I thought was coming from the engine itself. To narrow the noise down I removed the acc. belt and I never could believe an engine could be so quite. Many assume noise coming from under the hood is valve train, etc. but often it's an acc.

Originally Posted By: ernied
you can say that if you want too.but i like a quiet engine and i can notice a different sound using different oils.

+1

Same here! Silence is golden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back