Fram Tough Guard 3,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This filter was used on a 01 GMC Sierra. Mostly short trips (a few miles at a time) with 2 long trips 100+ miles. There's no report of start up noice, or other issues. The filter seems like it did it's job.

img20110625163310.jpg

Looks good and thanks for posting the picture.

IMO....For people doing 3K OCI with dino or synthetic....this oil filter is all that is needed, if the price is right, or part of an Oil Change Special as a throw in filter.

Last edited:
Glad it did the job, but why in the world would you want to throw your money away on that Fram when there are much better values to be had?

Yeah, you're better off stuffing a rag in a soup can and screwing it on your engine for a filter.

Originally Posted By: JoeWGauss
Glad it did the job, but why in the world would you want to throw your money away on that Fram when there are much better values to be had?

At no point did I say anything about I was the one who bought the filter. I didn't spend dime on this filter, this is not even my truck. I don't consider $3-$4 for THIS filter is throwing money away. The last filter I pulled of this ftruck was a Pure One which had a tear in the paper. Would you start to think twice about a filter that was torn after 3K miles?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kasedian
Yeah, you're better off stuffing a rag in a soup can and screwing it on your engine for a filter.

Seriously? A filter did what it's suppose to but you think a rag in soup can can do better? If you're going to bash this filter then back it up with something.

Last edited:
Looks like it did it's job, at 3k wouldn't expect to see different. What time frame? Problem is for the TG's regular Wally price, ~$6.50, I can get......you likely know what I'm going to say. lol

Just curious, last I read on their website Fram's no longer advertising using the screen over bypass, one of it's previous features, for the TG. Was it gone on this TG?

EDIT, Nevermind, this is for a GM application, no bypass on filter needed

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sayjac
Looks like it did it's job, at 3k wouldn't expect to see different. What time frame? Problem is for the TG's regular Wally price, ~$6.50, I can get......you likely know what I'm going to say. lol

Just curious, last I read on their website Fram's no longer advertising using the screen over bypass, one of it's previous features, for the TG. Was it gone on this TG?

I agree that you can get a better filter for the price, but to bash this filter just because it's a "Fram" is being close minded, IMO. Now if the filter fails then there might be an argument.

If your oil filter is mounted at the bottom of your engine (next to the oil pan) with the entry hole facing *up*,is there even a need for an ADBV?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
If your oil filter is mounted at the bottom of your engine (next to the oil pan) with the entry hole facing *up*,is there even a need for an ADBV?
No-because the filter can't drain, it'll always stay full (unless you roll the truck off-road!).

Quote:
I agree that you can get a better filter for the price, but to bash this filter just because it's a "Fram" is being close minded, IMO. Now if the filter fails then there might be an argument.
You'll note that I didn't bash the filter. As has been said here before, the biggest issue with Fram is the price for construction. IMO, that is the biggest issue 'most' here have with all the Fram's with the possible exclusion of the XG.

Others just have stronger feelings about it.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I thought the "Tough Guard" had metal end caps.

That is just the Extended Guard IIRC.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Thanks for the info. I just changed the oil in my sons new Jeep 4 Dr Wrangler. He bought the Fram Extended Guard as he plans to do 10K OCIs. He should be OK.

Originally Posted By: Silver02ex

EXACTLY

Quote:
You'll note that I didn't bash the filter. As has been said here before, the biggest issue with Fram is the price for construction. IMO, that is the biggest issue 'most' here have with all the Fram's with the possible exclusion of the XG.

Others just have stronger feelings about it.

Sorry, i should be more clear. I wasn't refering to "you" being the one bashing.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Thanks for the info. I just changed the oil in my sons new Jeep 4 Dr Wrangler. He bought the Fram Extended Guard as he plans to do 10K OCIs. He should be OK.

I think 10K should be fine.

When I used Fram TG`s,I always had the most consistent and highest oil pressure. Good oil flow maybe? I like the way the media always looks good and straight in them too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back