PUREONE PL14610 CUT OPEN -- PICTURES

Status
Not open for further replies.
As seen before, here are pictures of a Purolator PureONE PL14610. I took a hacksaw to it when it came off our Saturn a couple weekends ago when I changed its oil. It was the end of a 6,000 mile OCI with Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20.

DSCF1048.jpg

DSCF1051.jpg

DSCF1054.jpg

DSCF1055.jpg

DSCF1057.jpg

DSCF1058.jpg

DSCF1060.jpg

DSCF1062.jpg

DSCF1065.jpg

Good looking filter! I like purolators, and can use the sped'd 14612, or this oversized one 14610. I have a stash of 14612's and am always impressed with the construction of these small filters every time I open one up.

Nice job with the hacksaw. That filter looks like its been in service for a year.

I'm not a fan of Purolator's leaf spring relief valves. I don't think they even open. The one in your pic looks like leaf spring has deformed.

Originally Posted By: sunfire
That filter looks like its been in service for a year.

How so? It was in service for just over 5 months. The can is just dirty with used oil and doesn't wipe off well because of the textured paint.

Originally Posted By: sunfire
I'm not a fan of Purolator's leaf spring relief valves. I don't think they even open. The one in your pic looks like leaf spring has deformed.

It must be an optical illusion in the picture. The relief spring is in no way deformed. It's shape and cut is perfect.

Looks excellent to me. No problem with 6k.

Any chance you could determine the total media area? Curious how it matches up with the area of the PL14459.

Thanks for the pics.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Any chance you determine the total media area? Curious how it matches up with the area of the PL14459.

I'll see if I can do that and will update this thread once I've done so. I might not be able to get to it for a weekend or two though.

That's cool! Just since cutting open an L14459 and noticing a wider centertube and what may be a shallower pleat depth (3/8") I'm thinking the 14610 may have at least as much or more media.

No rush.

Originally Posted By: kender
It does appear as though the bypass valve is stuck open. I just bought 3 P1's today.

I had the old blue P1 filter with a slightly deformed leaf spring bypass valve stuck open.

The leaf spring is scam because its not a spring at all. The "spring" does not stretch or recoil at all. The oil pressure deformed the leaf spring and left my filter in bypass mode probably through most of the 5K miles.

Last edited:
Quote:
The leaf spring is scam because its not a spring at all. The "spring" does not stretch or recoil at all. The oil pressure deformed the leaf spring and left my filter in bypass mode probably through most of the 5K miles.
Got any pics? A scam huh? Oh fyi, it's not a leaf spring. The leaf spring (pictured above) in the dome is what holds the filter core and adbv to the base.

Did you send the filter back to Purolator for inspection? Very responsive CS department as shown in this forum many times.

I've used many Puro's and with 45 adator style bypass and cut them open and never had an issue. It sits in a recess so the OP's explanation plus camera angle seems a likely explanation. If the OP's bypass was struck open he could easily tell and view light through the centertube. I think I'll believe the OP when he says it's not deformed. But then again he couldn't tell (nor I) that it looked like it had been in service for over a year. Oh, that's right it was only 5 months.
wink.gif

Yeah, I don't know what to say to the doubters. As I write this, I'm looking at the leaf spring. It is not deformed in any way, shape, or form. Rather it's perfect in every way, shape, and form.

In case anyone is interested, you can click here to see the UOA of the oil that was used during the interval that this filter was used for.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:
Got any pics? A scam huh? Oh fyi, it's not a leaf spring. The leaf spring (pictured above) in the dome is what holds the filter core and adbv to the base.

Did you send the filter back to Purolator for inspection? Very responsive CS department as shown in this forum many times.

I've used many Puro's and with 45 adator style bypass and cut them open and never had an issue. It sits in a recess so the OP's explanation plus camera angle seems a likely explanation. If the OP's bypass was struck open he could easily tell and view light through the centertube. I think I'll believe the OP when he says it's not deformed. But then again he couldn't tell (nor I) that it looked like it had been in service for over a year. Oh, that's right it was only 5 months.
wink.gif

Like the OP said, just an illusion. Or, since it is a spring, there probably is a space between it and the valve so that it can maintain tension. "Posters" like you make me wonder why I post at all. A couple of posts asking about a possible issue and you gotta stick your chest out and get all defensive. Whatever...!!!

The "leaf spring" has nothing to do with the bypass valve. It's a completely separate mechanism which exists to hold the filter in place inside the can by putting pressure on the ADBV which sits between the base plate and the top metal end cap. The bypass valve has it's own circular spring that you can see in the pic showing the bottom of the filter. I think we're misusing words which is causing confusion.

I haven't seen a stuck open bypass on a purolator yet, but that doesn't mean it's not possible.

Talk about getting defensive, considering my response was not addressed to your post, not sure what your issue is.

IMO, calling the bypass spring a "scam" is more than asking a question that was already answered by the OP.

If my post offended your sensibilities perhaps you should consider the ignore feature in the future.
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back