Do GM cars come with OEM AC/Delco Ecores?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Three questions. 1. Do new GM cars come from the factory with the Ecore versions of AC/Delco filters? 2. If they do come with Ecores, do they incorporate the combination ADBV/bypass all-in-one valve like other Ecores? 3. Are the aftermarket AC/Delco filters you can buy at WalMart and other stores the same as the OEM AC/Delcos on the cars?

I know that most GM cars have an in-engine bypass valve, but I'm curious if they now include one in the filter too by using the Ecore design.

I think the Ecores for GM vehicle applications (that have bypass valve in the block) don't have a bypass in the filter - there is a set of holes missing in the baseplate. Not all Ecores have a bypass valve AFAIK.

I am also interested in finding out about the AC Delco E core (specifically the 61E) filter.

What is an E-core filter? I can see that there is a plastic screen instead of a metal one on the inside of the filter. Does the "E" stand for economy/cheap?

Originally Posted By: Loobed

I am also interested in finding out about the AC Delco E core (specifically the 61E) filter.

What is an E-core filter? I can see that there is a plastic screen instead of a metal one on the inside of the filter. Does the "E" stand for economy/cheap?
Actually if you look down the center tube, you'll see a black nylon cage. Here ya go.
img_oilfilters-2.gif

I would suggest that the "E" stands more for Ecological or Environmental, because there are less metal parts to be disposed of in the landfill. Not a bad idea, and eventually, as Bill in Utah has suggested, cartridge style filters with no disposable can, will be the norm. And another good thing, we will pay more for less.
56.gif

Until then though, my preference in spin on filters is for the classic metal endcap design.

Still wondering if new GM cars come with OEM Ecore filters and if you get an Ecore AC/Delco if a GM dealer changes your oil. If so, there must be millions of Ecores out there working successfully and GM must be pretty confident that it is a good design, despite what a few have reported here on BITOG.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

I would suggest that the "E" stands more for Ecological or Environmental, because there are less metal parts to be disposed of in the landfill.

I thought the "E" might stand for "Exploding".
lol.gif

Would ecores be more "free flowing",whereas in the metal core filters,oil has to be squeezed through the tiny holes??

Champ Labs (probably) makes the OEM assembly line filter for GM. It may not be an Ecore. The Ecore may not be the cheapest way to "meet" OEM specifications for the bean counters tabbing up the price. Champ makes several OEM assembly line filters.

They appear to also make the OEM aftermarket filters (AC Delco). Unlike Ford who uses Purolator for the OEM aftermarket filters- MotorCraft.

The filter you buy at the parts counter isn't the same one that came with the car ..guaranteed. The only exception (maybe) were with Corvettes. They may have come with the UPF filter when brand new (when UPF filters were produced).

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Would ecores be more "free flowing",whereas in the metal core filters,oil has to be squeezed through the tiny holes??

No ... not enough to even notice or measure. Somewhere on here there's a thread showing flow vs pressure drop across a PureOne up to 12 GPM, and the max pressure drop was only 5 psi with hot oil. I'd guesstimate the media probably contributes ~80% of the total pressure drop across a filter

All filters are "free flowing". The pressure on the backside of the media is the bulk of the pressure development. The filter adds little ..unless there's some ultra high volume where it could actually be a factor. Engine: BIG RESTRICTION ..filter on top of it ...hardly even seen. There's some velocity changes when going from a high velocity conduit ..to (up to) 150+square inches of media (slowing down)..then back to a high velocity conduit. That's show as a pressure elevation (some like to use "drop").

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
The pressure on the backside of the media is the bulk of the pressure development. The filter adds little ..unless there's some ultra high volume where it could actually be a factor. Engine: BIG RESTRICTION ..filter on top of it ...hardly even seen.

Yep ... Typically, the pressure drop across the filter is about 1/15th that across the engine's oiling system.

Quote:
Champ Labs (probably) makes the OEM assembly line filter for GM. It may not be an Ecore. The Ecore may not be the cheapest way to "meet" OEM specifications for the bean counters tabbing up the price. Champ makes several OEM assembly line filters.

I'm surprised that somebody hasn't chimed in here to tell us what he/she found when they changed the filter for the first time on their new GM vehicle. I guess that indicates how few new vehicles are being sold right now!

I started wondering how many Ecores are being used, and then I realized that most of the AC/Delcos and SuperTechs that we can buy at WalMart are Ecores, and that got me wondering if the OEM filters on most new GM vehicles are Ecores. If so, that would be a lot of Ecores in use making it one of the most popular filter constructions, I would guess. If so, you would think we would see more issues on BITOG, though I know we have seen a few. Also, if GM is using it as OEM they must have some confidence in the design.

The last time I spoke with Champion Labs they told me all the E-core filters they make have an anti drain back valve that also functions as a by pass valve. Also I believe GM has moved the by-pass valve on the 5.3 type engines from the engine to the oil filter.

http://www.gmpowertrain.ca/Product/5.3 LS4/LS4 Summary.pdf

Oil Filter with Internal Bypass
The 5.3L LS4’s oil filter now features an internal filter bypass. The bypass is a safety
device that protects the engine in the event the filter is neglected for an extended period.
If the filter becomes completely clogged with debris, the bypass opens and prevents the
filter from restricting oil flow through the engine.
Previous LS4s had the bypass mechanism installed in the oil pan. Moving the bypass to
the filter improves engine assembly efficiency and insures that the mechanism is fresh
and unobstructed each time the filter is changed.

Last edited:
I found this bulletin from ACDelco dating from May 2009 that seems to indicate that many of the OE filters will be switched, or have already been switched over, to the Ecore design:

Quote:
Filter Design Change - PF46, PF47, PF52 and PF61 (WD Bulletin 09D-054)
ACDelco is implementing a design change on the PF46, PF47, PF52 and PF61 ACDelco Oil Filters due to
capacity constraints on the current product design. GM engineers have approved the new design which will
begin to be incorporated in upcoming vehicle designs. This OE approved and manufactured filter provides
the same Duraguard filtration performance as the previous design and specifically utilizes the original
ACDelco media that traps particles up to 25 microns. Additional features include a slightly smaller can, fully
covered baseplate, non metallic end caps and high strength nylon core. This newly designed oil filter has
the benefits of not only bringing excellent filtration performance, it is also environmentally friendly with
components that can now be easily separated into steel, oil and parts to incinerate, resulting in less waste.
At this time, the Durapack versions of the alternative design filter will begin shipping. The boxed or
individually packaged versions will utilize the available production capacity on the original design, where
possible, and will otherwise begin to rollover to the new alternative design.
ACDelco appreciates your business and stands behind each and every filter that we distribute with pride
and confidence. Should you have any concerns or questions at all, please feel free to contact your local
ACDelco sales representative.

Well today I happened to be in Advanced Auto and I took a look at a bunch of ACDelco filters, and I was surprised that most of the ones I looked at were non-Ecore types! This store seems to do a pretty good business and the boxes looked new and clean, so I doubt it is old stock. There were at least a few Ecores, but most were non-Ecores! I wonder if ACDelco uses several different suppliers for their filters? In any case, if you want a genuine ACDelco, and you don't like Ecores, don't despair--just take a look down the center tube and find the non-Ecores. These non-Ecores have an all-steel center tube, and they don't have the flat baseplate that Ecores do.

This is an excerpt from an ACDelco news bulliten dated November 2009 that explains why some filters are available in both E-Core configuration and the classic configuration.
Classic Oil Filter Design Reintroduction: PF46, PF47, PF52 & PF61
(WD Bulletin 09D-142)
Earlier this year, ACDelco introduced a new OE filter design for our PF46, PF47, PF52 and PF61 oil filters which has an “E” added to the suffix. This change in filter design was implemented by our OE engineers to be used in production of 2010 vehicles and as a replacement filter for certain out of production applications.
Due to the volume of vehicles that currently exist with the prior design; a decision has been made to reintroduce the original, classic design in the boxed version, for the ACDelco channel only. This will allow consumers who prefer the original design to continue to use it on their vehicles. The filters are identical to the previous design in all aspects and will carry the previous short number, i.e., PF46. The current OE design will continue to be available under the new short number "PF46E" and will carry the current long number.

Originally Posted By: SnPb
This is an excerpt from an ACDelco news bulliten dated November 2009 that explains why some filters are available in both E-Core configuration and the classic configuration.
Classic Oil Filter Design Reintroduction: PF46, PF47, PF52 & PF61
(WD Bulletin 09D-142)
Earlier this year, ACDelco introduced a new OE filter design for our PF46, PF47, PF52 and PF61 oil filters which has an “E” added to the suffix. This change in filter design was implemented by our OE engineers to be used in production of 2010 vehicles and as a replacement filter for certain out of production applications.
Due to the volume of vehicles that currently exist with the prior design; a decision has been made to reintroduce the original, classic design in the boxed version, for the ACDelco channel only. This will allow consumers who prefer the original design to continue to use it on their vehicles. The filters are identical to the previous design in all aspects and will carry the previous short number, i.e., PF46. The current OE design will continue to be available under the new short number "PF46E" and will carry the current long number.

And all one needs to do is google ACDelco Ecore and visit some GM specific forums and the "reintroduce" decision is very easy to understand. After seeing the ecore design, many were hoarding the last of the classic design, complaining and commenting that they would never use the ecore design. I'll say it was a matter of simple business sense, loyal ACDelco users were going to be switching to other aftermarket brands with a classic design. Not a difficult decision for ACDelco as to what they needed to do if they wanted to keep market share with those users. In this case, a discerning knowledgeable consumer dictated what ACDelco had to do.

Thanks for posting the bulletin, I was unaware ACDelco had made such a decision.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
And all one needs to do is google ACDelco Ecore and visit some GM specific forums and the "reintroduce" decision is very easy to understand. After seeing the ecore design, many were hoarding the last of the classic design, complaining and commenting that they would never use the ecore design.

I can see it now ... a new TV Series - "Confessions of Oil Filter Hoarders".
lol.gif

It seems as the word gets around, the consumer is more aware that the Ecore design isn't all cracked up to be as good as the hype from the designer. I know I'd never use one based on what I've seen and read.

Quote:
Earlier this year, ACDelco introduced a new OE filter design for our PF46, PF47, PF52 and PF61 oil filters which has an “E” added to the suffix. This change in filter design was implemented by our OE engineers to be used in production of 2010 vehicles and as a replacement filter for certain out of production application
s.

Very interesting. Thanks! I haven't noticed the addition of an "E" to any of the ACDelcos I've seen, but I'll have to take a closer look. From this memo it appears that GM is using the Ecores as original equipment filters, which answers my original question. However, they seem to be saying that due to market pressure for the return of the old design they had to reintroduce it. I wonder if there is more to the story? I wonder what will be on 2011 GM vehicles?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
sayjac said:
And all one needs to do is google ACDelco Ecore and visit some GM specific forums and the "reintroduce" decision is very easy to understand. After seeing the ecore design, many were hoarding the last of the classic design, complaining and commenting that they would never use the ecore design.

I can see it now ... a new TV Series - "Confessions of Oil Filter Hoarders".
lol.gif

quote]

That could be me! I've collected 9 of the old style PF47 oil filters which should send the Sunfire past the 200K mi mark. I just don't like the new style AC Delco oil filters.
They are so much lighter and seem cheaply made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back