Engine Oil Filter for Chevy 5.7 Vortec

Love it, very sharp car!
Fram TG30, and some 15W-40 oil would be perfect in that ride!
addyguy, ty for the compliment on my car and the recommendation! I promise I won't pollute this place with pics of it, lol! :)

My 93 TBI 5.7l is a PH5, XG5, for Frams or Supertech ST5 and so on but not sure of Vortex 5.7l
wik, yeah the Vortec being the last generation of the "traditional small block" definitely has some similarities, but also some differences as well. One being all of them (save for some of the earlier versions) went to a roller cam setup vs the earlier flat tappet set up. I really need to find out what year my engine is in order to make the right oil choice, IE do I need one with zinc or not.

Reactions: wlk
wik, yeah the Vortec being the last generation of the "traditional small block" definitely has some similarities, but also some differences as well. One being all of them (save for some of the earlier versions) went to a roller cam setup vs the earlier flat tappet set up. I really need to find out what year my engine is in order to make the right oil choice, IE do I need one with zinc or not.
I would run any 5/10w40 in it, I run Quaker State Full Synthetic Euro 5w40 in mine

I would run any 5/10w40 in it, I run Quaker State Full Synthetic Euro 5w40 in mine
wik, thanks for the suggestion, and your willingness to help! I do have a few handed down quarts of NAPA 5w30 on hand which (correct me if I'm wrong) is the same as Valvoline. thinking I'll just buy 3 more quarts and the filter and call it a day. :)

Reactions: wlk
I believe all the Vortec-era small blocks are roller cam. When I searched for a first year (in trucks) Vortec 1996 C1500, RockAuto gave me the same results as the ‘85 GMC van I had. I bought a crap-ton of the Fram FPS5 (Ultra, but without grip coating) filters when they went on clearance for $1.04, so the XG5, etc should work. If you want Wix, it’s a 51060 or 1060 (if you buy a NAPA-branded one. The 51061 (or 1061) is the same filter, but without an anti-drainback valve. ADBV not so much of a big issue on a small block Chevy due to it not mounting on its side or upside down, etc.

I believe all the Vortec-era small blocks are roller cam. When I searched for a first year (in trucks) Vortec 1996 C1500, RockAuto gave me the same results as the ‘85 GMC van I had. I bought a crap-ton of the Fram FPS5 (Ultra, but without grip coating) filters when they went on clearance for $1.04, so the XG5, etc should work. If you want Wix, it’s a 51060 or 1060 (if you buy a NAPA-branded one. The 51061 (or 1061) is the same filter, but without an anti-drainback valve. ADBV not so much of a big issue on a small block Chevy due to it not mounting on its side or upside down, etc.
ChrisMU, maybe the info I read was erroneous to some degree? Regardless, ty for the part numbers and info as this will certainly save me a bit of time. I always liked the fact that the SBC filters hung straight down instead of at a weird angle. Our Sienna with the 2GRFE is the same way, just a few more hoops to jump through in dealing with the cover, lol!

Here’s another wrinkle, is it an older-style crate engine with Vortec heads or a Vortec era block as well? I know you can put Vortec heads on an older block, but you must buy a different intake manifold. I would say a mechanical fuel pump would be a dead giveaway for an older block, but some Internet searching has shown GM does/did make Vortec crate engines that had the hole machined into the side of the block for the mechanical pump.

Here’s another wrinkle, is it an older-style crate engine with Vortec heads or a Vortec era block as well? I know you can put Vortec heads on an older block, but you must buy a different intake manifold. I would say a mechanical fuel pump would be a dead giveaway for an older block, but some Internet searching has shown GM does/did make Vortec crate engines that had the hole machined into the side of the block for the mechanical pump.
The engine was in the car when bought it, however there's no provision for a mechanical pump, so it goes without saying that it has an electric one. If you look closely at the pic you can see the 3 saw teeth on the heads. It has an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Performer carb, ceramic coated headers, and I'm guessing a stock HEI, Cam has to be mild or stock based on the smooth idle. Not that you wanted or needed to know all the particulars, lol!
350533140_3375635802654462_300084596445849267_n.jpg

Last edited:
The engine was in the car when bought it, however there's no provision for a mechanical pump, so it goes without saying that it has an electric one. If you look closely at the pic you can see the 3 saw teeth on the heads. It has an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Performer carb, ceramic coated headers, and I'm guessing a stock HEI, Cam has to be mild or stock based on the smooth idle. Not that you wanted or needed to know all the particulars, lol!View attachment 166794
Very nice setup. Given the evidence, I’d say it’s highly likely a Vortec small block that came out of a ‘97-2003 GM truck or van. I know my dad was going to buy one of those engines at a salvage yard to put in his ‘70 CST/10 pickup until he saw the flat casting where the mechanical fuel pump (or even a block-off plate) would have been. Since your engine looks to have been upgraded or tinkered with, it’s really hard to say what’s inside. If you want to stay on the safe side, you could run Rotella T6 or Mobil Delvac 1 synthetic HDEO (5w-40). Those two should give you a healthy 1300 ppm of zinc. That’s what I will be using once my rebuilt ‘77 Ford 460 engine is broken-in.

Very nice setup. Given the evidence, I’d say it’s highly likely a Vortec small block that came out of a ‘97-2003 GM truck or van. I know my dad was going to buy one of those engines at a salvage yard to put in his ‘70 CST/10 pickup until he saw the flat casting where the mechanical fuel pump (or even a block-off plate) would have been. Since your engine looks to have been upgraded or tinkered with, it’s really hard to say what’s inside. If you want to stay on the safe side, you could run Rotella T6 or Mobil Delvac 1 synthetic HDEO (5w-40). Those two should give you a healthy 1300 ppm of zinc. That’s what I will be using once my rebuilt ‘77 Ford 460 engine is broken-in.
Thanks for the compliment and the oil suggestions! Yeah it seems to be a very strong engine, and I'm in the process of making the car my own. The 90's called me recently and said they wanted their braided hose covers back, lol! I haven't gotten into it very hard yet, (want to change out that oil first) but these cars aren't very heavy and it seems to more than up to the task of getting out of it's own way. I noticed you have what appears to be a pic of a post '72 full size Poncho for your avatar, Grand Prix?

Thanks for the compliment and the oil suggestions! Yeah it seems to be a very strong engine, and I'm in the process of making the car my own. The 90's called me recently and said they wanted their braided hose covers back, lol! I haven't gotten into it very hard yet, (want to change out that oil first) but these cars aren't very heavy and it seems to more than up to the task of getting out of it's own way. I noticed you have what appears to be a pic of a post '72 full size Poncho for your avatar, Grand Prix?
That’s my ‘74 Bonneville coupe. It’s a bit of an oddball 1-year style. The Bonneville coupe shared the 74-76 Catalina coupe’s roof for 1974 only. For 1975, the Bonneville shared the pillared roof with the Electra and Olds 98. My parents had a ‘76 Catalina coupe until I was about 7 years old, so when I found that Bonneville, I jumped on it. Unfortunately, I believe the transmission is going bad, so I need to decide whether to have the transmission replaced or sell it and try to find one in better shape. The original Pontiac 400 runs great, though.
IMG_0846.jpeg

That’s my ‘74 Bonneville coupe. It’s a bit of an oddball 1-year style. The Bonneville coupe shared the 74-76 Catalina coupe’s roof for 1974 only. For 1975, the Bonneville shared the pillared roof with the Electra and Olds 98. My parents had a ‘76 Catalina coupe until I was about 7 years old, so when I found that Bonneville, I jumped on it. Unfortunately, I believe the transmission is going bad, so I need to decide whether to have the transmission replaced or sell it and try to find one in better shape. The original Pontiac 400 runs great, though. View attachment 166927
Good looking rig! I'll bet it's has a very comfortable ride. 400s are tried and true engines for sure. Is the trans a 350 or 400? Too bad you were'nt closer to me as my son in law specializes in transmissions and drive lines. He's into programming, performance mods, the whole enchilada, lol! He just finished rebuilding the trans in his Ram with a Cummins. He says it should be be bullet proof, ha,ha! Just in time for them to hook up to their 30ft travel trailer and do some camping this weekend

Last edited:
Th-400 in my Bonneville. I even have a couple of supposedly good TH-350s in my carport. The transmissions came with the house I bought back in ‘05. Guy I bought the house from said the previous tenant left them there, and they were good. I figure they’re at least good cores.

Th-400 in my Bonneville. I even have a couple of supposedly good TH-350s in my carport. The transmissions came with the house I bought back in ‘05. Guy I bought the house from said the previous tenant left them there, and they were good. I figure they’re at least good cores.
Yes, worth something for sure. :cool:

Hello all,
I'm a newbie and I have a question for the brain trust here. I recently purchased this '78 Nova which has a 5.7 Vortec crate motor in it of unknown vintage. I'm planning on doing an engine oil change and was wondering if all these engines used the same oil filter, or do I need to get under the car and get the number off the existing one. Looking to go with a Wix, Purolater, AC Delco, or some other quality brand. (edit - Mod) Thanks!
Brings back a lot of memories. I had a 69’ Nova in high school that I completely rebuilt from one end to the other. 327 crate motor, Muncie 4 speed, FI 202 heads etc. Did all of that in 1972 while pumping gas for a local Texaco and going to school. We were the highest priced place around. Regular was .399 and premium was.499. Those were the days.

Last edited:
Brings back a lot of memories. I had a 69’ Nova in high school that I completely rebuilt from one end to the other. 327 crate motor, Muncie 4 speed, FI 202 heads etc. Did all of that in 1972 while pumping gas for a local Texaco and going to school. We were the highest priced place around. Regular was .399 and premium was.499. Those were the days.
They sure were the days Joe. Enjoyed reading about your Nova build. For a small block in a Nova in that era, it didn't get much better than a 327 with double hump heads and a 4 speed! It goes without saying that it was essentially the high water mark for Nova styling and performance. Those small block cars were fast, but the 396 in those was downright scary! As a youth in Northern California (early 70s) I remember gas prices being in the mid to high 30 cent price range, and cars the avereage guy can't touch (price wise) nowadays were rust free and a dime a dozen!

The official filter for a Vortec 5.7 is a Delco 1218. I believe this is the same as the PS5, PS30, etc series, except one has an antidrainback valve and one doesn't (probably due to the roller lifters).

Back