Mobil 1 5w-30, 15,143 '07 Toyota Prius

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All!! Newbie here.. first post. Great website and a wealth of knowledge. I've started testing my oil the past year or so. And wow, so glad I'm not changing every 3-5k. I will be testing all oil samples as long as I don't forget.

Here is my first vehicle, a Prius that gets driven pretty hard. I've pretty much used Mobile 1 in it most of the time. What is your opinion for an oil that would possibly work better in this application and why? This engine starts and stops significantly more. It also stays in certain RPM ranges and uses the Hybrid drive to vary the speed instead of engine speed. It also feels like the engine gets less driveline torque feedback due to power running thru the Hybrid drive?? I'm running out of my M1 stock and don't mind trying and testing something new..

So here it is..
2007PriusTouringOilReport012810.jpg

Last edited:
welcome2.gif
to BITOG

I would not change a thing. Very good report.

Just remember that 15K on the Prius is like putting 8-10K on a regular auto due to the fact that most city driving is being handled by the electric motor.

And just one correction, it is Mobil not mobile.

Last edited:
Thanks Johnny.. made the correction.

As for M1 and my oil report, I've heard iron levels with M1 tend to be higher?? And with my report it seems true? Still a lot to learn...

You have to take the Mobil 1 high iron issue with a grain of salt. In the grand scheme of things those are not high iron numbers. If you like Mobil 1 try using their 5W-30EP oil which they say was designed for the 15K oil change.

For 15 K very good with an engine starting and stopping a lot. Vis and TBN look good for the miles, and the metals are not bad at all for the Prius.

Not bad results but the Prius is a very easy application. Most Prius UOA's I have seen have had very low iron and other metal numbers. Although the Prius starts and stops the gas engine frequently, it brings the rpm up to full idle speed before turning on the fuel and it keeps the engine warm.

I would try PP 5W30 or even a name brand dino 5W30 next time.

Hi HiccaBurp. Is that 15k all on the one filter and are you using the OEM Toyota filters?

Just wondering because I want to increase the OCI on my Prius but I only have the OEM filters available here. Also I want to change filter+oil always together at same time only.

Yes, one filter.. I believe that run was on the Toyota OEM filter. The one in it now is a Mobil 1 oil filter. With the extended OCI, I won't know how it holds up till next year!!
lol.gif
I'm going to try and keep a log of maintenance and brand types for future use. I plan on keeping this Prius till the end. Really love it and it's showing to be a real solid vehicle!

Originally Posted By: HiccaBurp
So, they have M1, M1EP & M1HM? Hmmm... I don't like choices!! LOL

choices are good

Originally Posted By: HiccaBurp
Yes, one filter.. I believe that run was on the Toyota OEM filter. The one in it now is a Mobil 1 oil filter. With the extended OCI, I won't know how it holds up till next year!!
lol.gif
I'm going to try and keep a log of maintenance and brand types for future use. I plan on keeping this Prius till the end. Really love it and it's showing to be a real solid vehicle!

Ok that's good to know because I've only really got (easy) access to the Toyota filters here. I'll only be going 10k miles anyway so I think I'll be safe.

I think the constant starting/stopping of the engine is harder on the engine/oil than constant running. He needs to go to EP or SSO if he wants to try 15k,in his driving. Both oils seemed to provide better results in Montero's Prius than the M1 in this run. 'Couse he could just shorten his run to 10k with the M1.

Ok result, but he'll be the best judge of extended drain oils after a few more UOAs. Now you have your M1 baseline, I say to experiment.

imo, shorter intervals of dino oil gives a better result, but you've made up your mind already. I mean not just in terms of wear and engine cleanliness, but also the fresh friction modifiers every 7500 miles instead is a BIG plus, especially if you are tracking mpg.

Quote:
but also the fresh friction modifiers every 7500 miles

That's true. FM's do wear out rather quickly. Low shear stability is what really aids in fuel economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back