Official GM Approved Engine Oil List

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. Tech guy at PZ/QS is claiming Ultra will be the new FF oil for the Corvette.
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: buster
Thanks. Tech guy at PZ/QS is claiming Ultra will be the new FF oil for the Corvette.

Does anyone have a link to this quote? Or the exact words and context of the "statement". Seems a *very* odd thing to say, even if true. Any agreement betweem GM and a new provider would prohibit such an advance disclosure by a PZ/QS tech guy.

The list was revised in June 2009 and is now 1 year old. The list was made prior to Ultra being introduced to the public.

Yeah as Helen said, the date is a year old. It's just a rumor at this point, but their tech staff did tell a few people that. Very interesting if true.

A few people? I only saw it reported by one person and I still cannot imagine anyone at the tech center saying this. I might (and that's a small might) think someone might have said we are working with GM and "trying" to get the Corvette business. But like I said in another post, Shell does not have enough dynamite to blow Mobil out of there.

So going by this list, one could essentially use a 5w20 in a 5w30 engine. Because I don't know of any 5w20 specced GM engines(then again I've been paying much attention to them).

Originally Posted By: Anies
So going by this list, one could essentially use a 5w20 in a 5w30 engine. Because I don't know of any 5w20 specced GM engines(then again I've been paying much attention to them).

I don't think they're necessarily saying that. It appears to me that they're simply listing the viscosity grades in which each of those oils is available. I don't think they're saying that you can use any of those grades in any GM vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Anies

No, the owners manual calls out the GM spec AND a viscosity. You need to comply with both to be following the manufacturers recommendations.

Even oils I never head of made the list. None of the "boutique oils" we talk about here a lot are on there. You'd think with all the GM vehicles on the road they'd want to be recognized?

What happens if you use an oil that is not on the list while under a new car warranty? Lets say your engine calls for 5W30 you use a well known (name doesn't matter, not looking to start a [censored] storm), 5W30 that didn't make the list. You develop a rod knock the car mfg determines it was a problem with the oil. Are you SOL, or will the oil company pay for the repairs?

When I worked selling cars I saw a customer hung out to dry using a non approved oil in a Honda. Just curious that's all.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
What happens if you use an oil that is not on the list while under a new car warranty? ...
How could you not, at least in Dino. Appears any and all ILSAC GF4 meet the GM dino spec. Anyone have 6049M spec linky?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back