New information on PZ Ultra composition

Status
Not open for further replies.
JobbersWorld interviewed some Shell technical people about their new Pennzoil Ultra and learned more about its composition. Apparently Ultra is primarily Grp III, and uses some new and unique detergent technology. An excerpt is below and full article is here:

http://www.jobbersworld.com/JWFeb262010.htm

"Although it all sounds impressive and JobbersWorld was certainly intrigued by what appears to be a very compelling story about helping to keep engines "factory clean," you can be sure we asked some questions. The first is whether or not Pennzoil Ultra is blended with Group III base stocks or PAO (Group IV)? According to Dr. Sutherland, whereas some of the Pennzoil Ultra grades are blended with some PAO, Group III base oil is the primary type used, given their superior solvency for the product's cleansing capabilities as compared to PAO. He added, however, that the type of base stock in use is selected to aid the formulator in achieving the desired product performance.

The next question JW asked focused on the detergent additive composition of Hyper Cleansing TechnologyTM. Specifically we asked if the detergent additive is based on such existing technologies as calcium and magnesium sulfonate, salicylate, or phenate? To this, Shell only said, "it's a new and unique, proprietary technology exclusive to Shell and unlike what we have seen before." Interesting to say the least.

Then we asked about cannibalization. JobbersWorld's research uncovered that the retail price of Pennzoil Ultra will be very close to that of other synthetics, it seemed to us that Pennzoil runs the risk of cannibalizing its Pennzoil Platinum® sales (for little to no added margin) by splitting the synthetic category. Pennzoil, however, feels "just the opposite will happen." Instead of cannibalizing the synthetic category, Ultra will effectively pull conventional and synthetic blend buyers up the quality continuum to synthetics and Pennzoil's Ultra.

Whereas only time will tell how this plays out, Pennzoil Ultra is already in warehouses and ready to go. In fact, on the day you read this article, Shell says the new Pennzoil Ultra 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30 viscosities will be available in major automotive retailers nationwide. In addition, Pennzoil Ultra 5W-40 and 10W-60 viscosities can be found at retailers and select installers servicing mostly European cars, or through Ferrari US dealerships."

Tom NJ

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
In addition, Pennzoil Ultra 5W-40 and 10W-60 viscosities can be found at retailers and select installers servicing mostly European cars, or through Ferrari US dealerships."[/i]

Hmm... do they mean Platinum Euro 5w-40 or have they actually released a new oil?

I guess it's a moot point since this oil is practically impossible to find anyway.

Yep,just as I have been saying, just another group 3 fake synthetic crowding the shelves with all the others.Why all the hype???? nothing new or groundbreaking here.

Thanks Tom. The detergent part is especially interesting.

Originally Posted By: qship1996
Yep,just as I have been saying, just another group 3 fake synthetic crowding the shelves with all the others.Why all the hype???? nothing new or groundbreaking here.

Yeah just as you've shown before - you don't get it, despite being told why this oil is unusually promising.

Originally Posted By: JAG
Thanks Tom. The detergent part is especially interesting.

Originally Posted By: qship1996

Yeah just as you've shown before - you don't get it, despite being told why this oil is unusually promising.

Humor me JAG - being somewhat slow here. Why is this expensive (for a gp III) oil so promising? Why more promising than other gp III?
I ask with 100% sincerity. Sometimes, I get overwhelmed by the more knowledgeable replies here that get pretty techinical.

Quote:
Then we asked about cannibalization. JobbersWorld's research uncovered that the retail price of Pennzoil Ultra will be very close to that of other synthetics, it seemed to us that Pennzoil runs the risk of cannibalizing its Pennzoil Platinum® sales (for little to no added margin) by splitting the synthetic category. Pennzoil, however, feels "just the opposite will happen." Instead of cannibalizing the synthetic category, Ultra will effectively pull conventional and synthetic blend buyers up the quality continuum to synthetics and Pennzoil's Ultra.

I don't know about you guys but I don't understand that statement...are they saying that with the new Ultra line current users of conventional and syn-blends will be swayed to buy their "full synthetics" like PP and Ultra?? The release of Ultra certainly will make some folks who were previously unaware of Pennzoil synthetics to consider them but it just seems like a [censored] answer to the cannibalization question....

Kinda of disappointing really. So it keeps the engine clean, well, so does most other oils. If its so special, im not seeing anything that strikes me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
In addition, Pennzoil Ultra 5W-40 and 10W-60 viscosities can be found at retailers and select installers

The same retailers that carry PP 0w-20? These oils cost more to produce so they won't be sharing shelf space with 5w-30.

Say what you will about Mobil but their 0w-40 is right on the shelf waiting for a Porsche. Priced the same as their 5w-30.

I'm sorry. I know Pennzoil's loved here. I just thought Shell would do better.

Originally Posted By: PurplePride
Humor me JAG - being somewhat slow here. Why is this expensive (for a gp III) oil so promising? Why more promising than other gp III?

In my opinion, what's unusually promising is the detergent/dispersant package. This will have most benefit for long drain intervals, short trip driving, and engines prone to deposits. For people using oils that are already keeping their engines clean and not taxing the TBN, it is not a huge benefit.

No benefit period, and no better than all the other group 3 "synthetics" crowding the shelves.....pretty bottles and catchy phrases and buzzwords obviously work on many here......absolutly nothing new here with this product,nothing....would be better just to get Mobil one 0w-40.

I just wish it promised wear protection that was super, much better than before,I would accept a camshaft that had almost no wear after 75,000 miles with alittle varnish. I have never heard of someone needing a varnish repair at $105
16.gif
per hour.

Agreed, I want better wear protection, not more 'cleaning' ability. We've already seen the valve covers opened on engines with 100k+ miles run exclusively on bulk dino that look pretty 'clean'. How much cleaner do things need to be? It's not a beauty contest!!

PP is 'clean' enough. Now give me some of that "X times less wear" with a series of independant tests to prove it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back