Strange Amsoil story, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
This story is a bit long.

Back on January 19 of this year I ordered a 5 gallon pail of Amsoil's ISO-15 hydraulic oil. It shipped from the Lancaster, PA warehouse, and arrived in two days to my home in Vermont. Since I had the UPS tracking number, I knew exactly which day it was going to be delivered. Early in that day, I moved the tractor that I planned to install the fluid in into my insulated, heated garage in order to warm it up and drain the old fluid (the old fluid was also Amsoil ISO-15 hydraulic oil I installed 7 years before. It ran fantastically with the Amsoil, even in sub-zero temperatures, which is why I got the Amsoil again). By the time the Amsoil hydraulic fluid arrived, I had drained the tractor and it was ready to be filled. The pail of the new oil was very cold to the touch, so I let a kerosene shop heater blow on it for about 10 minutes. When I began pouring the fluid out of the 5 gallon pail, I noticed that the viscosity was way too high; the fluid actually poured out like honey, not like oil. I assumed once it was in the tractor and working through the hydraulics it would be fine. That ended up not being the case. We had a colder than average winter this year in Vermont, but even when the air temperature was between 0 and 32, the hydraulics on the tractor would not work (three point hitch on back, loader bucket on front). After a few days of this, I called Amsoil customer service and told them the problem. The person I talked to said to have the oil sampled. I asked if I should sample from the tractor or the nearly empty pail, he said it didn't matter so I sampled from the tractor. I have an Amsoil vacuum pump for taking oil samples, so I used that to draw from the tractor. No exaggeration at all, it took about half an hour to fill one small sample jar, that's how viscous the fluid was. I sent the sample in with a note to call me about what tests to run. The people at the lab called me and we spoke multiple times on multiple days before they tested the oil. Since I was concerned with the cold temperature viscosity, I asked them what test would make sense. We settled on a pour point, which cost me an additional $35 over the $18 I already paid to order the sample kit. The measured pour point was -48C, which is well off from the advertised -60C for ISO-15 oil. I called Amsoil customer service again, explaining what I found, and talked to a different person this time. This person didn't think a 15C difference in pour point meant much (and in fairness it shouldn't have made the oil almost solid at 0F), so he sent me a new sample kit and asked me to sample what was left in the 5 gallon pail. Fortunately I was able to get out just enough to fill the sample bottle. A couple weeks later this same person called me back, he said the oil was not ISO-15, but tested as ISO-150. He asked for the batch number off of the 5 gallon pail so they could do further testing. Today I get another call saying they have checked that batch and found everything to be normal, and did more testing on my sample I sent in. I think he said they did a FTIR test. They concluded that the sample I sent in wasn't even an Amsoil product. As a result I had no hope of any claim, not even getting new oil to replace the worthless oil.
Mostly what I am looking for is if this has happened to anyone else with an Amsoil product. Either the oil you got didn't seem like the oil you ordered, or you had them claim a sample you sent to them wasn't their product. If you currently have any Asmoil ISO-15 hydraulic oil, especially from the PA warehouse, I would like to know that as well.
I understand Amsoil's reluctance to help me further, but because I can no longer be certain I'll get what I ordered or that I can get a replacement if the oil is wrong, my confidence is irreparably shaken and I will no longer be an Amsoil customer. It's too bad because they have so many oils I like.

Wait a minute. You sent them a sample of the new oil that was in the pail that they sent you and they told you it was not an Amsoil product? Is that correct? If that is correct they would hear me screaming all the way from VT to WI. That stuff is not cheap.

Next question, what did you replace it with?

Thanks man. I'm not even mad at them really, because for all they know I could be a liar or I could have made a mistake. But since I know neither of those is true, I have to take this course of action.

35.gif
36.gif
35.gif
36.gif

I expect A LOT of people will be following this one.

Johnny, yes, that's exactly right.
So far I have not replaced it, will probably just but some regular hydraulic oil at the local New Holland dealer.

Interesting. How could you get a hydraulic oil that was not theirs if the 5-gal container says Amsoil on it?

Does the label on the pail indicate an ISO-15 oil?

There's a big difference between a 0 weight oil and a 50 weight oil.

Quote:
They concluded that the sample I sent in wasn't even an Amsoil product

Was this sample from the pail or from the sump? Do you have the original receipts and orders?

Does the pail or papers say "PCL05-EA?" That would be an ISO-150 Compressor oil; I don't think they have an ISO-150 hydraulic oil.
21.gif

Last edited:
Hey Mola, thanks for the questions.

I have no reason to believe the pail isn't theirs, and the two labels on it both identify it as Amsoil AWF ISO-15.

The second sample I took, the one they claim isn't an Amsoil product at all, came directly from the pail. There's no way it was anything else, and there's no way I contaminated it with anything (I don't have anything to contaminate it with). Yes I still have the receipt, it says AWF ISO-15.

Neither the pail nor the receipt mention anything like PCL05-EA or compressor oil or ISO-150. Amsoil doesn't have an ISO-150 hydraulic oil, but they do have a ISO-150 compressor oil like you mentioned. When they first told me they determined it was ISO-150, I went to their web site to see what it could have been, and saw that the only ISO-150 oil they have is that compressor oil. At first I thought they just accidentally put the wrong oil in the pail, but when they concluded that the oil wasn't even an Amsoil product, then I was at a loss to explain it. I'm starting to wonder how they can know for certain (and the customer service rep said the lab guys were convinced) that the oil isn't an Amsoil product.

Thet have tracers (distinctive chemicals), which almost every blender or formulator uses, to identify their products.

This is a mystery. The other "potential" but highly improbable answer or alternative is that the oil was highjacked. Was the lid on the pail tight and did the pail have the "tear-out" on the spout intact?

Who is your dealer?

He is your spokesperson. When a dealer speaks firmly, Amsoil HQ listens. Give him a call immediately.

This sounds all messed up, you need the correct product.

Mola,

The lid was and is on pretty darn tight. I know this because I tried to pry it off and could not get it off! I wish I could remember if the tear-out was still sealed, but by now I can't recall.

Pablo,

I am my own dealer, but only for small amounts of personal use. That's why I've come here for help, I'm hoping higher volume guys like you might be able to lobby Amsoil on my behalf and get me a more satisfactory outcome. I really appreciate your attention in this matter, especially when you have nothing to go on but my word. Is there a way that we could find out who manufactures Amsoil 5 gallon pails? The one I have is blue and was manufactured by nampac.

Quote:
Is there a way that we could find out who manufactures Amsoil 5 gallon pails? The one I have is blue and was manufactured by nampac.

The filler/blender and the container manf. would be two entirely separate entities.

Yeah, the only reason I ask that is to determine if perhaps the pail isn't the same manufacturer that Asmoil uses and maybe someone switched labels.

One would have to start talking higher up.

If you were wronged

A. they need to send rep. out to see problem yesterday or
B replace product immediatly.

I'm not accusing anyone who has already posted, but if you are an Amsoil hater, please do not post in this thread or PM anyone with your childish comments. I have already gotten far more help from Amsoil than I would have gotten from any of the big name manufacturers.

Do not harm that pail dont't pry cut tear or pull the lid off.

That is all you have if it came down to it.

If and I hope it does not come down to a claim you don't want it tampered with.

Sadly, it might be too late. I have filled the pail almost to the top with used oil.
frown.gif
I asked the customer service rep today if it would have mattered if I had sent the pail back to them when the only thing in it was a few ounces of the oil that came in it, he didn't think it would have mattered, still wasn't their oil in it. I have not been able to get the lid off, but it looks like someone (me) tried to pry it off.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Do not harm that pail dont't pry cut tear or pull the lid off.

That is all you have if it came down to it.

If and I hope it does not come down to a claim you don't want it tampered with.

Originally Posted By: nicrfe1370
....they have checked that batch and found everything to be normal, and did more testing on my sample I sent in. I think he said they did a FTIR test.

These are some of the most key words.

They checked the records and the retain, with the batch # on your pail. Everything nominal. Then they did tracer testing via FTIR on your supplied sample and it didn't match. I think any reasonable business would have to draw a line somewhere near this area of responsibility.

Now as to what really happened, something post processing could have been switched, some mafia fluid exchange with an inside man at the warehouse. Bottom line here is that there are no other reported cases of this problem.

Lesson for any product, food, oil, whatever, it's man made - stuff happens. So if it doesn't appear correct, stop and report it to someone who can make it right immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back