QuickJack hydraulic fluid weight question

Picking up some non toxic fluid (in-case of leaks) for my QuickJacks and deciding what weight to choose. I live in SoCal and our temps range from 50f-90f. I was recommended ISO 32 but wondering if It would be better to step up to ISO 46 for the warmer months.

Mine runs fine on Dexron.

When you lower it, the speed is controlled by a tiny orifice. A thinner oil would lower faster, and you'll find that fast is a relative term. In short, go with the 32.

Attachments

• IMG_0141.jpg
    IMG_0141.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 12
I wouldn’t worry about viscosity too much, then. That’s a range of recommendations.

I also wouldn’t worry about leaks. Mine is five years old, no leaks. Not even any weeping.

The things to be concerned about - be certain the vent is open, to keep the reservoir from collapsing as fluid is used. Keep the lines clear of work, tire tracks and getting caught. They can be damaged if you drive over them or they get caught in the lifting/lowering.

I think the advice from @Astro14 is sound. But if you still would feel better having fluid on hand, I would go with the Dexron III, simply because of availability.

Based upon my experience, trying to find ISO32 for my motor home power steering system, it can be tricky to find. ISO46 is similarly tricky to find, unless you have tractor or HD trucking supply stores in your area. Dexron III compliant ATF is everywhere, including likely already on your garage shelf. And if it's not, you can wait until you need it, and pick it up at your convenience.

It doesn't really matter, any hydraulic fluid or synthetic ATF will work just fine. I used Dex 6 in mine because I still had a few gallons of it laying around from when I did some transmission fluid swaps.

From their site:

Thanks all for the feedback. I was specifically asking about ISO weight and the current weather climate I live in (SoCal). Not what fluid to use. I'll probably just go with ISO32 weight like recommend.

If I may, why do you think having a heavier viscosity is better, in the case of the Quick Jack hydraulic system? There is nowhere near as much heat in a hydraulic system, as there is in an engine. And the oil function is different. It isn't protecting the internal parts of the hydraulic system, as much as it is just transferring energy.

It’s just a pump - nothing fancy. Has lots of power for the work it is doing. Viscosity differences won’t make any appreciable difference. I would buy what is cheap. Mine has AMSOIL in it, because that’s what I happened to have on hand when I filled it up and I didn’t want to wait.

I think the advice from @Astro14 is sound. But if you still would feel better having fluid on hand, I would go with the Dexron III, simply because of availability.

Based upon my experience, trying to find ISO32 for my motor home power steering system, it can be tricky to find. ISO46 is similarly tricky to find, unless you have tractor or HD trucking supply stores in your area. Dexron III compliant ATF is everywhere, including likely already on your garage shelf. And if it's not, you can wait until you need it, and pick it up at your convenience.
Any auto parts store, Walmart, farm stores, etc carry hydraulic oil.

Back