Mobil 1 0W-30: why not ACEA A5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those that want to know what A1 and A5 are:

A1/B1 Oil intended for use in gasoline and car + light van diesel engines specifically designed to be capable of using low friction low viscosity oils with a High temperature / High shear rate viscosity of 2.6 to 3.5 mPas.s. These oils may be unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.

A5/B5 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use at extended drain intervals in high performance gasoline and car + light van diesel engines designed to be capable of using low friction low viscosity oils with a High temperature / High shear rate viscosity of 2.9 to 3.5 mPa.s. These oils may be unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.

Taken from the ACEA Sequences handbook.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
M1 0w-30 used to be A5 as well, before it was dumbed down to make room for EP.

Are you saying that the formula was changed?

Originally Posted By: daman
So the 0w30 is not a long drain oil because no A5/B5 spec??

Please define "long drain".

M1 0W-30 is ILSAC GF-4 energy conserving. A5 is stay in grade and doesn't have to meet as stringent fuel economy test as GF-4.

M1 0W-30 is listed as an 11.0 cSt oil in the data sheet. It's likely going to have to shear somewhat (quite a bit..????)to make the tough "energy conserving" fuel economy test for GF-4.

The SM/GF-4 energy conserving fuel economy test was increased over SL/GF-3. I think some people considered it too much of a requirement, as most oils would have to shear too much to meet the test putting them almost out of grade (for the 30 weights). I would prefer to see the GF-4 fuel economy test rolled back to the GF-3 test and have more shear stable oils.

Originally Posted By: john1944
Yes I did. If I get a reply, I will post it here. But I wanted to also see what other sources said.

Did you hear back from the folks at Mobil 1

not just 0w-30, my observation on the M1 5w-30 sold in Canada market also bear no A5B5 on the label (in past 3 years). i called EOM Canada and they have no answer to me when i ask why their web site has it but not on the label. they asked why am i so concern about A5. shall i? i am upset about differences in labeling, that what i read on web may not be the same as what i got in store.

That is the whole thing that is bothering me about EOM. Their customer service! I do not doubt that their oil is quality, even if they don't do good on one test I still think the overall product is very good. However their customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

Originally Posted By: PW01
Originally Posted By: john1944
Yes I did. If I get a reply, I will post it here. But I wanted to also see what other sources said.

Did you hear back from the folks at Mobil 1

This is the correspondence I have had so far with Mobil 1 regarding their 0W-30 not being rated ACEA A5:

>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: ExxonMobil
>>
>> Sent: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 11:14 am
>> Subject: Re: 4377 (WJF)
>>
>> >>> Thank you for your inquiry. ACEA is European Oil Sequences for
>>> Service-Fill Oils. Wondering why your are asking about ACEA
>>> specifications, does your vehicle require an ACEA specification?
>>>

>> My vehicle does not require an ACEA specification. I just know that
>> when oil manufacturers can meet ACEA specs, they always proudly show
>> it - just check any of your Mobil 1 PDSs. So it would follow that if
>> they cannot, for whatever reason, they do not. I was just wondering
>> why Mobil 0W-30 does not apparently meet ACEA A5 and Mobil 1 5W-30 does.
>>
>> John

> Thank you for your inquiry. ACEA is European Automobile Manufacturers
> Association. Its just that we may not purse ACEA approvals for a Mobil 1
> product that is not marketed in Europe. ILSAC and API have very demanding
> requirements also.
>
> Technical Support Engineer (WJF)
>

That's bunk because ACEA are self-reported specs. That is, no test sequence required. Even worse, XOM bothered to mention A1, although claiming no adherence to ACEA specs. I complained about this a while ago, A3/A5 is what DEFINES a synthetic oil!

Something stinks at Mobil.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
That's bunk because ACEA are self-reported specs. That is, no test sequence required. Even worse, XOM bothered to mention A1, although claiming no adherence to ACEA specs. Something stinks at Mobil.

Does Mobil have to pay to show A5 approval? The message I got from the above was that they did, and since 0w30 was not sold in Europe, the weren't going to pay for it.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
No.

The what does he mean by this statement:

Quote:
Its just that we may not purse ACEA approvals for a Mobil 1
> product that is not marketed in Europe

????

First off, he means "pursue" not "purse."

Overall, he means to deceive the recipient of the message.

ACEA sequences are self-policed by producers of finished lubricants and, of course, also by consumers (including automakers).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SubieHo
First off, he means "pursue" not "purse."

Overall, he means to deceive recipient of the message.

ACEA sequences are self-policed by producers of finished lubricants and, of course, consumers.

What if he actually meant purse? He could be British or something
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back