Mobil 1 0W-30: why not ACEA A5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
That's bunk because ACEA are self-reported specs. That is, no test sequence required. Even worse, XOM bothered to mention A1, although claiming no adherence to ACEA specs. I complained about this a while ago, A3/A5 is what DEFINES a synthetic oil!

Something stinks at Mobil.

i agree, if they even bother with A1, why are they not doing the same for A3 or A5? and their attitude is not helping.

This is my latest correspondence with Mobil:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 1:08 pm
Subject: Re: 4377 (WJF)

> Thank you for your inquiry. ACEA is European Automobile Manufacturers
> Association. Its just that we may not purse ACEA approvals for a Mobil 1
> product that is not marketed in Europe. ILSAC and API have very demanding
> requirements also.
>
> Technical Support Engineer (WJF)

This is what I replied:

WJF,

Thanks again for your reply, but this sounds more like a political explanation rather than a technical one.
I would assume that either Mobil 1 0W-30 cannot meet the ACEA A5 HTHS or the Extended drain requirement.

John

So far no answer back. Maybe they don't want to purse (sic) this any further.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
What if he actually meant purse? He could be British or something

Could be, but it's also common to make mistakes when lying.

In any case, OW30 "Fuel Economy" is marketed in Europe. The EU version carries A5/B5 approval and has a TBN of 11.4 as compared to 8.5 for the North American version.

Though it has already been established that Mr. Technical Support Engineer intended to mislead the consumer, let's suppose the following statement from his response were true in this particular case:

Originally Posted By: Technical Support Engineer
Its [sic] just that we may not purse [sic] ACEA approvals for a Mobil 1 product that is not marketed in Europe.

Just where do you think BMW, VW/Audi, etc... sell a good share of their cars?

It's all so wrong on so many different levels.

Could be, but it's also common to make mistakes when lying

Pretty serious thing to say about someone who can't defend himself.

That's bunk because ACEA are self-reported specs. That is, no test sequence required. Even worse, XOM bothered to mention A1, although claiming no adherence to ACEA specs. Something stinks at Mobil.

Does Mobil have to pay to show A5 approval? The message I got from the above was that they did, and since 0w30 was not sold in Europe, the weren't going to pay for it.

Not sold in Europe? A5/B5?
54.gif

Doesn't M1 have a Euro formula? 0-40 is for my daughters 04&05 Mercedes with 13,000 OCI. O-30 is not for Euro cars so why ask an irrelvant question? Euro cars sold in the US have M1 and other oils to chose from in the 0-40 wgt. So the Mobil tech gave you the answer but you are just not getting it.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
That's bunk because ACEA are self-reported specs. That is, no test sequence required. Even worse, XOM bothered to mention A1, although claiming no adherence to ACEA specs. Something stinks at Mobil.

Does Mobil have to pay to show A5 approval? The message I got from the above was that they did, and since 0w30 was not sold in Europe, the weren't going to pay for it.

54.gif

That's Mobil 1 Fuel Economy, not Advanced Fuel Economy
wink.gif
Must be the difference in TBN as mentioned above
grin2.gif

54.gif

wink.gif
grin2.gif

Ah ..I see ..the distinctions are clear as crystal.
grin2.gif

54.gif

wink.gif
grin2.gif

Ah ..I see ..the distinctions are clear as crystal.
grin2.gif

It does TECHNICALLY make the quote from the XOM rep correct though. They don't appear to sell the ADVANCED Fuel Economy oil over there. Just the Fuel Economy, which appears to be more robust.

Personally, I don't care which oil is more robust. I'm just glad that our stuff is more "Advanced" than the EU stuff.
wink.gif

Last edited:
man I have never seen a brand of oil consistently bashed more, so many seem to feed on anything negative that can be garnished about Mobil. Apparently they are the only ones with occasional rude customer service, and sometimes elusive comments everyone else is absolutely forthcoming and honest
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: SubieHo
Personally, I don't care which oil is more robust. I'm just glad that our stuff is more "Advanced" than the EU stuff.
wink.gif

ah, but if you look at the pds for the Euro 0w-30 you will note that right under the title "Mobil 1 Fuel Economy 0W-30" it states,
"Most Advanced Performance Synthetic Engine Oil" and the NA version PDS only claims "Advanced high performance synthetic engine oil".
Once again proving that the most advanced motor oil is always reserved for Europe while NA gets the seconds.
LOL.gif
LOL.gif
grin2.gif
grin2.gif

This is quite common maketing technique where your most advanced product is quietly understated to be so, as it doesn't need to be built up while your second tier product gets the big hoopla to build sales.

Take all the above as said tongue-in-cheek if you like.

Supposedly, the classic Mobil 1 0w-40 was a "thickened" version of the original 0w-30...SL. That's what I'm using in the CRV that gets 2k miles a month, 4 months oci.

MobilMan.jpg

Originally Posted By: PW01
Originally Posted By: oilyriser
M1 0w-30 used to be A5 as well, before it was dumbed down to make room for EP.

Are you saying that the formula was changed?

I just dug up an old bottle of Mobil 1 0w-30 (as well as this old thread), and it clearly says on the back that it meets ACEA A1 as well as A5, and ILSAC GF-3. This is the old Supersyn formula, in the squarish quart bottle.

The M1 oils sold in EU are typically better than in the USA for two reasons. First, you can't sell 100% hydro-cracked oil as synthetic in the EU like you can in the USA. Second, they have extended drain intervals in the EU due mostly to energy conservation and environmental concerns.

Think any chance next year, we might be the new, improved Advanced or if really lucky, the Super Advanced. LOL.

Actually used the 0w-30 this winter, but as the OP, just a little concerned. But then you see the GM Corvette approvals makes you wondered if misplaced concerns. But I would not use in LS1/2 engine myself.

I think you would be ok using it in a LS1/2 engine if it has GM's approval. Mobil 1 R only had a HT/HS of 2.99 as well, by design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back