Castrol GTX High Mileage 5w30, 4176 miles, 14 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the UOA of GTX HM used in my Olds minivan. Oil was in use for 14 months and miles on oil was 4176. Total miles on van was 156,730.

Driving was almost all short trip with the engine barely making it to operating temp on the guage before being shut down.

LC was used, with a 5oz dose going in initially and then 1oz every 1000 miles thereafter. FP was used in the last tank of gas before the oil change.

-

Yesterday the local automotive repair radio expert said to use full synthetic for your(wifes) driving style because it prevents corrosion better than hydrocarbon based oil.

Your recipe looks great. Low iron and low oxidation even with high water/moisture and a long interval.

I've got Castrol Syntec Blend in there now. This was on sale, so it was actually cheaper than the GTX High Mileage. We'll see how this does next year.
grin.gif

Good luck with the intake manifold gasket on this GM 3.4. Hopefully the GM sealer pellets fixed the problem.

Quote:

Good luck with the intake manifold gasket on this GM 3.4. Hopefully the GM sealer pellets fixed the problem.

Yeah, Terry seems to think this UOA is showing a retun of the manifold gasket leak, so in went the tablets. Hopefully the next UOA will show no antifreeze signatures.

What lab is this? Nice format for the data!

yeah, I think you either ingested a banana
smile.gif
, or you have some very slight intake manifold seepage.

TS

Please permit me to bring this 2 year old uoa to the front. There are not many HM posts in this forum.

Compared to Castrol GTX, is this High Mileage oil in some way "heavy duty"?

What would you guestimate TBN had LC not been used?

Originally Posted By: jorton
Please permit me to bring this 2 year old uoa to the front. There are not many HM posts in this forum.

Compared to Castrol GTX, is this High Mileage oil in some way "heavy duty"?

What would you guestimate TBN had LC not been used?

GTX HM is fairly 'heavy duty' compared to regular GTX. It uses a much heavier base oil, and its 100C viscosity is 12.0, as opposed to 10.6 or so for regular GTX. You can see this in that this oil only sheared to 11.2cst.

Castrol really pushes that their HM formulation resists 'high-heat burn off and vaporization'...so I suspect they use a heavier group II base oil, combined with some esters to fortify the oil. The add-pack is fairly average - nothing really to notice. But it all seems to work!

Would love to see the follow up UOA w/Syntec Blend, to see how the two compare.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back