Coices for Toyota Pink???

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you use anything but the pink stuff just make sure you flush the entire system! If you are not going to flush just go to the dealership and pick a gallon of the pink stuff up! Man in all my life I have never ran into so many cheap skates! When it comes to oil that is changed a couple times a year people will spend $6-$16 a quart but $20 or so dollars for some coolant that rarely has to be changed is too much? What is it with coolant and people????? Is it the cost or the fact that you have to go to the dealership to get it? I just do not understand it?? I could see if you lived in some remote village in Africa or Alaska or an Island like Sumoa but for crying out loud in America what is the problem? I drive 45 miles once a year to pick up a gallon of the pink stuff and if I have the money some oil and airfilters as well. I change my Coolant "the pink stuff" once a year! 1 gallon of the premixed stuff will completly replenish what drains out my radiator and my resovoir. I think I pay $18 for it but the most I have ever seen it go for $24 a gallon. Now you only have to replace it every 5 years or 120,000 miles unless you do some work and need to replenish.

Another thing that kills me is that not only are most people cheap when it comes to their coolant but they are lazy as h e l l. They do not want to pay for the correct fluid for their car but they are also too lazy to flush all the old stuff out of the block and radiator.

Now I am not saying you are cheap or lazy! You post was just the straw that broke the camels back. I have no idea why you are wanting to use something besides the recomended fluid! I actualy do not care since I too will use non-recomended fluids but I alway take the time to flush!

In fact I have one 1995 Tacoma Toytoa I service for my Dad that has had Dexcool in it since the OEM fluid came out. Now when I replaced the thermostat I put G05 in it after flushing all the Dexcool out.

If you are not going to use the Pink stuff I would recomend G-05 it is a better solution to use in that vechile then Peak's Dexcool knock-off. Do yorself a favor and get a Prestone reverse flush kit. Follow the direction and you use what ever coolant you want!

Sorry. Just asked a question. I compared the 2 bottles and the stickers are similar as well as the actual bottle. I just was asking if there is an alternative. I do plan on using the pink stuff. But if i over heat on the road, what would be a gould product?

Well I trust the OEM Toyota quality. Toyota says it last 100k, but the dealers always changes every 30k with the same OEM stuff, included in the service package.
So I just leave it that way. LOL

THE DEALER DOES THAT TO MAKE $$$$$$$$$. I WILL BE USING PEAK GLOBAL IN MY RAV 4. IT EVEN HAS A WARRANTY. CHECK IT OUT.

I've done two years and 30k miles on the pink toyota coolant. still looks new. I'm going to order some toyota pink coolant when I order T-IV trans fluid for the vibe later this year.

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
If you use anything but the pink stuff just make sure you flush the entire system! If you are not going to flush just go to the dealership and pick a gallon of the pink stuff up! Man in all my life I have never ran into so many cheap skates! When it comes to oil that is changed a couple times a year people will spend $6-$16 a quart but $20 or so dollars for some coolant that rarely has to be changed is too much? What is it with coolant and people????? Is it the cost or the fact that you have to go to the dealership to get it? I just do not understand it?? I could see if you lived in some remote village in Africa or Alaska or an Island like Sumoa but for crying out loud in America what is the problem? I drive 45 miles once a year to pick up a gallon of the pink stuff and if I have the money some oil and airfilters as well. I change my Coolant "the pink stuff" once a year! 1 gallon of the premixed stuff will completly replenish what drains out my radiator and my resovoir. I think I pay $18 for it but the most I have ever seen it go for $24 a gallon. Now you only have to replace it every 5 years or 120,000 miles unless you do some work and need to replenish.
x2!

my corolla came with the pink and every year or two max, i will drain/refill the radiator with the pink stuff. Like others have said before John's back was broken, I feel $20 every year or two is good cheap preventive maintenance

i used the peak 50/50 in my bikes though

Well, allow me to add to this topic without hijacking the thread, please.

Yours truly has a very well-maintained 2005 Toyota Highlander with 36k miles on it. I took it to the dealer last Thursday to have the cooling system flushed. They offered to drain and refill. I said, "no, flush the entire system. Don't you have a coolant flushing machine? "Yep", they said, "it just costs extra."

So, they flushed away, I paid up, went home to load up for my trip to Illinois, popped the hood just for kicks and grins, and there sat green coolant in my radiator and recovery tank. Not the OEM pink coolant, mind you, green stuff. Whose green stuff? I do not know. Yet.

Nice. Real nice.

Now, Toyota just lost all credibililty about voiding ANY warranty for using "non-specified fluids."

This dealership normally telephones within two business days after the service to inquire as to my "satisfaction" with their work. I'm actually looking forward to their phone call.

I would not stick anything other than what is documented in the manual when it comes to coolants.

When the user's manual doesn't give you a choice on coolants why try something else?

I simply don't get this coolant "adventurism" by many folks.

If you compare the ingredients to Toyota pink and Peak global, they are identical. Peak Global even comes with a warranty. a lifetime warranty. The bottle is similar and the labeling is similar. Originally, i flushed and used the 100% with distilled water. Now, i can only find it in pre mixed 50/50 bottles at Walmart. So far no problems and I plan on doing my second change to keep the chemical properties up to lube the water pump. At this rate, I am sure that a hose will burst before anything else does.

As long as you flush the rad,res. and block youc an run what ever floats your boat. Their is nothing on the market that match's Toyota's Ultra Long Life Coolant (the pink stuff). I usualy tell people to stop being cheap skates and just go pick some up at their Toyota dealership. This way they do not need to flush. It has been my experince that most people that are too cheap to use OEM Toyota coolant are usualy too lazy or do not have the equipment or skill to properly flush their system. So if you are not going to flush the system until all the water comes out clear then drain the block and rad until most of the tap water is out do not use anyting other then oem. The reason being is that most coolants today do not play well with other types of coolants so it is critical to get all the old stuff out. Now once you have everything out of the block,heater core and rad and res. you could make do with Zerex G-05 and some distilled watter. Now unlike most coolants G-05 can handle hard water but it is still best to used distilled so you do not have to worry about mineral deposits. Zerex G-05 will work in just about anything as long as the system is flushed first.

I will have to check out the Peak Global formula. Since I have never seen it. All the products in my neck of the woods are GM Dexcool clones.

JohnBrowning:

I don't mind paying for quality work to flush my cooling system and replace it with the "recommended" coolant.

I do mind when the dealer rants about aftermarket fluids, then proceeds to flush the pink coolant and use green coolant.

what's the drain and fill procedure on a Camry, if I were to use the TOyota OEM stuff ( so no engine block flush required)

On cold engine:

- remove radiator cap
- remove radiator petcock and drain into suitable container.
- remove expansion tank and empty. Rinse with distilled water and replace.
- optional: remove engine block drain bolt.

- replace radiator petcock.
- fill radiator thru radiator cap opening.
- start car and let idle until radiator fan comes on. Refill radiator as it drops.

- replace radiator cap and drive until fully warmed up. Take new coolant with you and periodically top up expansion tank.

- when fully warmed, make sure expansion tank is at "full hot" level.

- when car is cool, verify expansion tank level is at "full cold"

Good luck!

PS - it' super easy to replace upper/lower radiator hoses, thermostat and radiator cap on your car so if high miles, do it now.

I just use the Toyota Super Long Life as called for in the manual. Super Long Life is premixed with water, what could be easier? Maybe a few $ more but I sleep easier knowing there will be no compatibility issues. You're saving a lot doing it yourself regardless.

Last edited:
Can anyone confirm if the pink Toyota super long life coolant is just a pre-mixed version the red Toyota long life coolant? Are the two compatiable with each other?

Cheers!

The Toyota Pink might be 100K if you completely empty the system.

My Camry manual says OEM fill = 100K, drain & refill 50K.

I read somewhere that pink is not red+water but I can't recall where I read that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back