Calcium vs Moly as a friction modifier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is better...? Brands such as YB Pennzoil and Havoline continue to use higher levels of moly, while other brands seem to lean more on calcium. Yet, the brands with the moly seem to have the same level of calcium as those with no moly. So, is it better to have both, or one or the other?

FM = friction modifier

AW = anti wear

Your header is "Calcium vs Moly as a friction modifier?"

While both Mo and Ca can be a multipurpose additives, Ca is not typically added as a FM, and lots of times neither is Mo and the body of the post implies you are talking about them as AW agents.

Hmmm...perhaps I should have put it in more simplistic terms since even I am confused.

Are oils with no moly in them just as good as those with it?
Castrol GTX 5w/10w 30 and Valvoline 5w/10w 30 as an example have no moly.

Originally Posted By: strombony
Hmmm...perhaps I should have put it in more simplistic terms since even I am confused.

Are oils with no moly in them just as good as those with it?
Castrol GTX 5w/10w 30 and Valvoline 5w/10w 30 as an example have no moly.

And those are fine oils. For years Amsoil had NO moly (some variants still don't) and those oils were fine. You can't simply say anything about an oil by looking at one or three constituents. It's just not that easy.

So then, why does Valvoline make a big deal out of it? Once I was speaking to a rep and he was explaining how great their Maxlife is because they use moly

Pleasde read this post and look at the various additives for each application or spectrum of applications:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=530321#Post530321

There are many chemistries for friction modification, anti-wear, and Exreme pressure.

Moly is but one of them. In low concentrations, it acts as another friction (reduction) modification additive, in medium concentrations it acts as a friction modifier and anti-wear, at high concentrations it acts as mainly as an EP agent. There is nothing majic about it, it works, just like ZDDP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back