04/17/14 09:26 PM
A blessed Good Friday to all.
by GreeCguy
04/17/14 09:10 PM
Newest Members
srkandel, LarryHill, MasterEngineer, MikeSpeed, jmac79
49611 Registered Users
Who's Online
27 registered (CaspianM, Artem, Benzed, david_ES2, Clevy, 285south, 1 invisible), 702 Guests and 236 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
49611 Members
64 Forums
212026 Topics
3323300 Posts

Max Online: 2551 @ 04/05/14 01:28 PM
Donate to BITOG

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#1097683 - 03/03/08 01:26 AM Re: Rislone engine treatment [Re: BrianWC]
Gary Allan Offline

Loc: Pottstown, PA
Got me swinging. I don't have a clue what the substance does ..or even if it's the main active ingredient. Wiki says that it's a solvent.

I don't imagine that the stuff is "bad" ..just not all that effective (when compared to ARX).

#1269426 - 10/29/08 04:13 PM Re: Rislone engine treatment [Re: Gary Allan]
yakky Offline

Loc: NoVA
New guy bringing one back from the dead on my first try...

I've used Rislone in quite a few "dirty" engines and it does seem to work well. I feel its a bit safer to run than MMO or ATF. By the appearance, it seems to be working, I've noticed cleaner valvetrains and the oil gets dark very fast. On a gummed up engine I wouldn't run the oil for the full 3k after using Rislone. I certainly wouldn't use it at every oil change, but it has a place in my cabinet for neglected engines.

#1269569 - 10/29/08 07:25 PM Re: Rislone engine treatment [Re: yakky]
Gary Allan Offline

My feeling is that Rislone had a place in the distant past with the poorer quality oils. Oils have evolved a great deal, but people ..not so much ..so it may have a purpose still. I would not use this product, but it does have a lower price making it a more acceptable remedy for some ailments.

#1269998 - 10/30/08 09:18 AM Re: Rislone engine treatment [Re: Gary Allan]
yakky Offline

I agree on both your points, there are better products and an engine should not need to be cleaned, but as it stands, lots of people forget about oil changes and with engines running at higher temperatures than ever, it makes for a mess in certain cars.

#1270005 - 10/30/08 09:30 AM Re: Rislone engine treatment [Re: yakky]
Quest Offline

Loc: beaver land EH?
 Originally Posted By: yakky
I agree on both your points, there are better products and an engine should not need to be cleaned, but as it stands, lots of people forget about oil changes and with engines running at higher temperatures than ever, it makes for a mess in certain cars.

LOL! I don't necessary agree with your points.

While owner's negligence is the main culprit in most engine failures these days, equally disturbing is the fact that there are far too many avg joes out there whose either stuck on some old mentality that engine still has to be flushed every oil change just because they believe motor oil these days still sludge up in 1000miles, or oil is still inferior and/or of the same quality like their grand-daddy used 1/2 a century ago, so additional "helper" additives are needed to give them oils a boost.

Most motor oils with API/ILSAC certifications are meant for use mostly on "street" cars with engines designed, if not supporting those family of motor oils. Hi-power, custom modded engines shall always be reviewed in a case-by-case basis and should require some custom blend motor oil and not OTC ones. High temperature? On what engine? street engine or custom? IF it's street type of oil then one shall follow manufacturer's recommendation RE: severe service (usually comes with more frequent OCI and/or more robust blend with lots of GpIII/IV or beyond base oil within, with other additives added).

So bottomeline is, why do you still wanna mess up the already delicate chemistry/blend in a modern motor oil blend with things like rislone?

(**think about it***)

Q.

#1270095 - 10/30/08 11:12 AM Re: Rislone engine treatment [Re: Quest]
TallPaul Offline

Loc: By Detroit
I used Rislone for 25 years, one quart at the beginning of every oil change. My '84 F150 4.9L had it it's whole life with the possible exception of first couple OCI for break in. That didn't prevent some lifter clicking on some very cold winter mornings, but that may have been more from the 5w30 motor oil of that day (mid to late 90s). Anyway, sold truck at 175,000 miles and next driver did not use Rislone, but kept it for 9 years and just sold it because the body and frame were nearly gone with rust. Engine probably around 300,000 miles and running great. The buyer was planning on using the engine in another truck. Doesn't prove anything though.

I quit Rislone when I came to BITOG (actually I was given a link to a lengthy Rislone thread as my intro to BITOG (search the link about the date I joined (above). As I recall that thread or another back then had a VOA of Rislone and the additive levels were extremely weak. It was a 20 wt oil and some said it was basically ATF with a different color. When confronted with the weak additive levels, Rislone folks said it was ingredients that would not show in a UOA and that there is a special penetrating oil in it.

#1270148 - 10/30/08 12:26 PM Re: Rislone engine treatment [Re: Quest]
yakky Offline

Quest, the cars I use Rislone on are older cars I've bought that had pretty dirty looking valvetrains from what I could see through the oil fill. Rislone did a very nice job cleaning those areas. The only trouble I've ever read about Rislone is it has caused leaks for lots of people...go figure, it removes sludge that could be around gaskets.

As far as high temps, I've noticed that almost every new car is running hot enough to have visible smoke coming out of the oil filler hole after shutting off the car. Looking at oil caps you can see deposit formation that looks more like smoke deposits than sludge.

Like I said, I don't, nor would I recommend making a habit of using rislone, but it does a very nice job of cleaning for me.

#1270165 - 10/30/08 12:49 PM Re: Rislone engine treatment [Re: yakky]
Quest Offline

yakky,

for cleaning up older cars, try AutoRx instead.

As for smoking from the valve cover(oil filler opening), this is deemed normal. All engine oils are known to leave some deposits behind as the engine reaps up mileage and for that matter I would never loose sleep over deposits esp. on the non-oil-contacting sections of oil filer cap or the back side of valve cover(s).

Really, while there's no shame in using some of these oil "add-ons" in the days of yore, I personally believe that you will be so much better off running something better (AutoRx) or simply keep a strict/rigid regimen on oil change and maintenance on engines with modern motor oils instead of trusting the market for quick, OTC 5-min gratifications.

And trust me: there's no need to run stoddard solvent with good quality motor oils these days.

Q.

#1270177 - 10/30/08 01:11 PM Re: Rislone engine treatment [Re: Quest]
yakky Offline

Quest,

I'm wondering if you are reading what I am posting. I don't use it regularly, I don't use it on vehicles I maintain, I only use it on new to me vehicles that have lots of buildup. I did take a look at the AutoRX site, while the product looks interesting, the before and after pictures are very similar to the result I have been getting with Rislone, and at a fraction of the cost, I'll stick to what I'm happy with. If AutoRX works for you, great.

#1270227 - 10/30/08 02:36 PM Re: Rislone engine treatment [Re: yakky]
Quest Offline

I'm notoriously known for bashing stoddard solvent users (as 10min engine flush), if you know me long enough...

Cheers,

Q.

#1270486 - 10/30/08 09:09 PM Re: Rislone engine treatment [Re: Quest]
Gary Allan Offline

yakky, the main objection to solvent flushes is somewhat multidimensional. They need to be strong to work well. The engine can't really tolerate them for the time required to do an effective job.

Let me try and say that differently. If they're strong enough, then they radically alter the chemistry of the host oil. If they're too harsh, they may effect gaskets and seals ..and may liberate too much material at one time. If it's a real stubborn formation, they aren't going to be in the engine long enough to do the job. If they can be tolerated by the engine ..and manage to not alter the "net effect" of the host oil ..then they'll probably volatilize and get spent out the PCV.

I could find no data on the visc or VI of the Engine Treatment. The Oil Treatment is pretty interesting here

Specific Gravity @ 15.6C D-4052 0.8735
Density @15.6C D-1298 7.232
Flash Point D-92 220C / 428F
Viscosity, cSt. @ 40C D-445 3629
Viscosity, cSt. @ 100C D-445 314
Viscosity, cSt. @ 150C D-445 95
Viscosity Index D-445 242
Pour Point C D-97 -24

Here's the Engine Treatment's tech page
http://www.barsproducts.com/tech/100QR_tech.pdf

#1270617 - 10/31/08 12:47 AM Re: Rislone engine treatment [Re: Gary Allan]
kingrob Offline

Loc: NC
I've used Rislone before, and never really noticed any kind of cleaning effect. It seems too thick to really be of any effect to me. ARX as well didn't do anything for me in my application at least.

Here's my regimen for treating a sludged engine. If I can determine the extent of the crud I usually pull the valve covers and pour MMO over everything and let that sit for a day or two. Usually when I check on it the sludge and corrosion are loose, and/or evaporated. If the crud has done nothing, that's when I do a K+W engine flush on it. I usually pull the oil pan afterwards as a lot of junk ends up at the bottom.

Either way I choose to tackle it, I drain the oil and run some HD15-w40 for a couple of thousand miles. If it hasn't burned at least a pint by then I empty the oil filter and top off with a pint of MMO and run it for about 500 miles. This tends to get it pretty cleaned up internally.

After that regimen I tend to pull the valve cover again and 9 times out of 10 everything's cleaned up pretty spiffy. If it still needs additional cleaning I substitute a quart to quart and a half of oil for MMO for a very short OCI.

I know it's not a very scientific process but I've verified my results at later rebuilds/teardowns and found very little in the way of nasty deposits.

I've substituted MMO for Rislone on occasion for this regimen and it did nothing for me. I'm not saying it doesn't work, just that it didn't work the way I wanted it too.

As for Restore, I was having compression issues in an 87 Olds Cutlass and figured I'd give it a shot. The compression evened out awesomely, immediately followed by a completely blown rear main seal. After replacing the seal the compression went back to being too low, but nowhere near as low as before. I don't know what it did if anything, but that's the extent of my use with it. That rear main was too much of a PITA to change out for me to want to try it again.

#1270618 - 10/31/08 12:54 AM Re: Rislone engine treatment [Re: kingrob]
kingrob Offline

Loc: NC
I should add too that many say stay away from engine flushes as they're too abrasive and removing the deposits could lead to more problems down the road, something I know personally to not be the case in my experience. I don't advocate doing a flush unless the engine is seriously sludged in the first place, but I whole-heartedly suggest cleaning the oil pan and screen, as it will probably get clogged up.

IMO people that flush the engine every oil change or once a year as a preventive measure are creating a problem that isn't there. If you have to flush your motor on a regular basis then there's either something wrong with your engine or your choice of oil, and a bottle of fix-em-up isn't going to change anything.

#1270710 - 10/31/08 07:33 AM Re: Rislone engine treatment [Re: kingrob]
TallPaul Offline

Loc: By Detroit
Always wanted to try the CD-2 Oil Detergent product:

Quote:
Replenishes detergents and dispersants in your motor oil.
Cleans ALL internal engine parts.
Prevents rust and corrosion.
Restores pep and power.
Replenishes additives to worn oil.

#1270727 - 10/31/08 08:01 AM Re: Rislone engine treatment [Re: TallPaul]
BrianWC Offline

Loc: Louisiana
TP didn't Mola analyze that stuff a few years back? Or was that Rislone? All I remember was whichever one it was, it was pretty weak from an elemental standpoint.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >