Z Max Addivitve

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a post by a bitog member, hope it gives you some clues to what your post said.

f I could buy a product to add to my crankcase, that would slowly and safely dissolve contaminants, not disrupt the host oil chemistry, provide for a lower coefficient of friction, improve oil film formation, boost EP capability, where would this product fall in the list of 4? Thanks Frank, don't sell yourself short. ARX is a great product. It does alot more than clean.

Rick 20

Originally Posted By: Dad2leia
Way back in this thread, someone mentioned Oil Extreme. It isn't a C.P., but rather an overbased calcium compound (I forget the exact name).

Safe for use, but older technology and not worth the premium price IMHO.

I didn't recall the particulars ..there was probably a bunch of references to chlorinated paraffins in the topic/post ..as in "is this?". But I would reason that if someone were to use a CP ..that it too would be over based .

Originally Posted By: Johnny

I'm not sure what the chemical makeup is but I do know it's a very good injector cleaner. There are three bottles to a kit (clear, red, and I think blue or green) different sizes. They are all the same product just different color, so it could all be used in the fuel if wanted.

Thank you very much for the information.

I just sent this to zMax in email.

Hi there,

I just ordered your product. Since ordering zMax however, I have discovered that it is basically plain mineral oil, with a small amount of dye added. You have misrepresented this same dyed mineral oil to me, as an incredible and unique "reformulated micro-molecule" automotive additive, and you have charged me far more than it is really worth.

Please cancel my order and immediately refund my money.

Please find appended a copy of the invoice sent to me by you.

----- end copy of email ----

For all the good, it wont do, I feel a little better. That is, except for the fact, that is clearly a 'fool me twice shame on me' situation.
blush.gif

I sprung for the stuff when it first came out. As much as I really wanted it to work it did absolutely nothing that I could discern. I took them up on the 30 day money back guarantee.

Originally Posted By: BarkerMan
Has anyone used and/or tested ZMax?

Yes, as mentioned a few posts back I have and it's garbage.

Yep Gary, there were, and it was referring to the chlorinated paraffins.

I asked Bbruce way back about Oil Extreme, and he's the one the mentioned the overbased calcium, being a not so revolutionary technology either.

I have to confess that I even tried the Z-Max in my Saturn, and nope, it didn't do much, in fact, just like my friend that tried it, we both LOST MPG!!

Live and learn, eh?!?
whistle.gif

I think the thing that most of these products capitalize on ..based on the price that they typically get marketed at ..is that 1.) Curiosity. Many will spend $30-$50 just to find out what the hubbub is about ..and 2.) The amount that you're spending won't warrant your time in getting a refund. There's usually a separate S&H that probably covers the S&H and the cost of the product bottled/packaged.

There was surely a time in all of our lives where it was a situation (taken from a Steve Martin comedy live recording where he talks about the $3 admission to his show)

"I have $30 and I think I'll throw it in the street. Oh!! I can get this for $30?? I'll do that instead".
grin2.gif

That is, it may provide more entertainment value that whatever else you would have blown it on.

This is exclusive of any benefit (or not) that any product may (or may not) provide.

If the Oil Extreme idea was any good you'd think there would be other such products on the market. The company sells vans for on site oil changes. The owner is a really great guy to talk to about oil. He is about 80 years old and I think the company is for sale. It is not a very large operation but they have some very happy customers and Don the manager is the reason. He does not promise the moon and is great with customer service. I have no idea if the product is any good but it sure is expensive. As I understand it's an over based Group II oil. I wanted to try it in some farm equipment but the idea of all that calcium and the salts it would leave behind led me to pass.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
I sprung for the stuff when it first came out. As much as I really wanted it to work it did absolutely nothing that I could discern. I took them up on the 30 day money back guarantee.

With most of these products and their money back buarantee, They chrage you 2 times the cost of the product in handling fees. they still make money even if you dont like it and get a refund.

Handling fee?
mad.gif
Well they haven't shipped it yet, and so if they try that I will dedicate some time and effort to some sort of payback for them. It may take me a while, but I will think of something, and they will really really hate it.

I will post any reply I get Dr No. I bet they just ignore it and ship the [censored] though.

I am really saddened that Carroll Shelby is involved. Maybe you are right and I should email him about it too.

Think 'Ol Carroll needs the money that badly to sell out his reputation?

The FTC effectively shut down several oil additive products...at least the ones that were large enough to garner the FTC's attention. The FTC has allowed ZMAX to continue in business and advertise much of what ZMAX original claims were ..The same claims the FTC originally filed suit against ZMAX for.

ZMAX submitted numerous tests that are on their web site. Believe them or not based on what you read.

Believing anonymous posters, or other posters out hawking their products (by using basically quoting other anonymous posters) at face value is also your prerogative.

In reality most of us use products, yet we don't religiously track MPG, do UOA's or take off the valve covers or tear down an engine to see if what we use REALLY does all what the products claim or we feel they do.

Quote:
The FTC effectively shut down several oil additive products...at least the ones that were large enough to garner the FTC's attention. The FTC has allowed ZMAX to continue in business and advertise much of what ZMAX original claims were ..

Most of the allowed claims are "by cleaning" or some such. Since this is mineral oil, it is probably nothing but Naphthenic oil. This might explain the higher oxidation rates as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back